300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Y'all using MySpace as a tool?

I frequently go to myspace and search for people in my area. Particularly the middle school and high school crowd that are or want to be gang members. At first I was slightly amazed at what they would actually POST on there...who's slingin' what and where...where the next fight is...and all those pictures of stackin' and posin'....it's informative to say the least.

One of my Officers couldn't find a suspect the other day (she wanted to serve felony warrants on her). We went on myspace and voila...the woman stated she works at Walmart...the Officer went there...she was right there...working at the wally world

Anyone else here use myspace to gather intel?
    sigpic

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Originally posted by Smurfette_76 View Post
    I frequently go to myspace and search for people in my area. Particularly the middle school and high school crowd that are or want to be gang members. At first I was slightly amazed at what they would actually POST on there...who's slingin' what and where...where the next fight is...and all those pictures of stackin' and posin'....it's informative to say the least.

One of my Officers couldn't find a suspect the other day (she wanted to serve felony warrants on her). We went on myspace and voila...the woman stated she works at Walmart...the Officer went there...she was right there...working at the wally world

Anyone else here use myspace to gather intel?

Yes, or at least I used to.....

Comment

We've used MySpace to gain a whole lot of intel on the local gangs. They were nice enough to put pics of the members, their tags and even some stolen property

Comment

We have gotten several federal indictments on suspects traveling across state lines to meet who they thought was an under aged girl for sex. These were grown men in their 30's and 40's. Myspace does have it's place as a LE tool if you know how to use it.

Comment

Our department blocks it along with eBay and miscellaneous sites on gangs, drugs, etc. etc.

We have many filters.
          Last edited by SeVere; 09-09-2007, 06:26 PM.

Comment

Probation Officer here in Nor Cal. We've used Myspace a few times to see what our felons are up to. We had a moron dirtbag that was stupid enough to post pictures of he and his "homies" posing with their firearms. Needless to say we hit the house a few days later. Dope and firearms, good hit. He's now on vacation in CDC.

Comment

Has anyone used Myspace pics as PC for a warrant?
              "Nuts" ---Lieutenant General Harry Kinnard

Comment

I've seen classes offered on how to use MySpace as a tool.

Comment

Another one is FaceBook.

Comment

MySpace, FaceBook, Yahoo, AOL et al., when there's time. It's a great tool for enhancing "supervision." Unfortunatley, with a shared case load of 400 probationers...over 250 active, it's difficult to do.

Originally posted by jdlong
                    We had a moron dirtbag that was stupid enough to post pictures of he and his "homies" posing with their firearms. Needless to say we hit the house a few days later. Dope and firearms, good hit. He's now on vacation in CDC.
                    While in training with the detective, we got a hit the very first search. They too won a free vacation.

Comment

anyone used it for making narcotics cases? PM me if you have

Comment

Outstanding!
                        I'd Rather be Judged by 12 Than Carried by Six.

Comment

Just got an E-mail that has been distrubuted amongst all the OC Detectives where one agency solved another agencies case for them in 2 minutes using Myspace. basically one agency sent out pictures of an unknown black female suspect who had a name tattooed on her, asking if anyone knew her. A detective from another agency ran the name that was tatooed on the suspect and found a tribute page to the persons named with a picture and a name of the female black. I guess the tat wasnt enough so she made up the tribute page.

We use it all the time, but I am not going to say how in a public forum.
                          Originally posted by FJDave
                          GM, you have just set the bar that much higher for the rest of us in our witty, sarcastic responses. I yield to you! Good job, kind Sir!

District B13
                          "We are not cops nor Feds." yet he still poses as an officer Hmmmm

Grant us grace, fearlessly, to contend against evil and to make no peace with oppression.--WWII memorial

"I have loved justice and hated iniquity, therefore I die in exile."

Pope Gregory V II

Comment

Not sure if any of you heard of this. A local police dept. here in WI not too far from me was doing some MySpace browsing and saw the following: under a picture of a marijuana grow in what looked like a closet was "This is the weed growing right now in my closet". Apparently this kid couldn't figure out how the police knew it was in there after they executed the search warrant.

Comment

I use it all the time and it is great for gang intelligence (photos, monikers, membership, etc...). For you LA cops, another one a lot of our local gang members use is techno4us.com.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5992 users online. 287 members and 5705 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Working...
                              X