Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SFPD Rookie, Negligent Discharge, Comments?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SFPD Rookie, Negligent Discharge, Comments?

I searched and did not find any postings on this yet, just wanted to see what everyone thought about this...tragic incident, rookie shoots and kills himself at a party in his apartment most likely "showing off" to a female.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...sn=001&sc=1000
    Running is not a plan, running is what you do when a plan fails. -Tremors

What can you say really? Thats a stupid way to go. Guns and alcohol don't mix whether you are a police officer or not. If you drink, leave the guns at home. If you are drinking at home, leaves the guns locked away. So do you think the female was impressed?

Comment

Probably traumatized for the rest of her life.
      Running is not a plan, running is what you do when a plan fails. -Tremors

Comment

horrible tragedy- don't bad mouth it-LEARN from it! reminds me of an incident almost 10 yrs ago-some off duty officers were at a beach party and decided to take a "few" shots in the air-CHP were patrolling near this beach and thought they were being shot at- quite a few heads rolled on that incident! We expect lone citizens to use common sense with guns- we must be held to an even higher standard....
        "we're americans ! We don't quit because we're wrong, we just keep doing it wrong UNTIL it turns out Right"...

Comment

I have never understood the need for officers (not just rookies, either) to "show off" when around civilians. They look like tards. If people ask about the job, fine. But show them your gun, taser, etc?????
          Space for rent .........

Comment

Sad, very sad...
            I Peter 2:13 “Submit yourselves to every ordinance of man for the Lord's sake: whether it be to the king, as supreme; (14) Or unto governors, as unto them that are sent by him for the punishment of evildoers, and for the praise of them that do well.” Visit 10-4 Ministries

Comment

Last edited by Nobody11; 11-28-2013, 01:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Territo View Post
                Jimmy was not showing off. He was showing how to disable a weapon, took the mag out but did not clear the round out of the chamber. Yes he had been drinking, tox report showed a .09 bac.
                as hard and mean as it sounds- he screwed up .John or jane citizen doesn't NEED to "know" how to disable a firearm,especially at a party.I truly feel sorry for his friends,co-workers and family,but if this officer had killed himself driving a vehicle at .09% BAC,everyone one here would say the same thing- he will be missed and he knew better.........
                "we're americans ! We don't quit because we're wrong, we just keep doing it wrong UNTIL it turns out Right"...

Comment

Originally posted by Territo View Post
                  Jimmy was not showing off. He was showing how to disable a weapon, took the mag out but did not clear the round out of the chamber. Yes he had been drinking, tox report showed a .09 bac.
                  I would call that "showing off." For what other reason would you be offering such a demonstration.

My wife and friends have never asked me to show them how to disable a weapon or disarm a suspect and I have never even thought to show them.

In another setting he probably would not have acted so irrational. It is so very unfortunate that such an activity cost the life a of such a vibrant young man just starting his career. RIP OfficerJames Gustafson Jr. RIP
                  Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

Originally posted by SgtCHP View Post
                    I would call that "showing off." For what other reason would you be offering such a demonstration.

My wife and friends have never asked me to show them how to disable a weapon or disarm a suspect and I have never even thought to show them.

In another setting he probably would not have acted so irrational. It is so very unfortunate that such an activity cost the life a of such a vibrant young man just starting his career. RIP OfficerJames Gustafson Jr. RIP
                    friends and family have asked me to show them "how" to use as well as clean and maintain firearms they have-I immediately advise them that I don't know all things firearms,and have even seen some weapons they have and advised them to turn them in to a local dealer(one bud had a Drogunov SVD sniper rifle on a bipod with a 75 rd drum mag and a scope the size of a forearm !!1-he sold it to a local gunshop in exchange for a used but good quality Sac co.SD .357 and a shotgun) to simply taking the darned thing and releasing it to the local PD to be destroyed (my cousin had a rusted 1890s 38 cal pistol-not even worth it as collectible)-it has always been a meet me at my depts range or a local pvt firearms range.seen to many "accidents" happen.

I really hope that no one thinks we are FLAMING this deceased officer.what he did was a "mistake" in judgement-young and old officers make it.it was wrong and sadly it cost him far more than it should have.....

Comment

As callous as this sounds, at least he only killed himself. I feel for those who witnessed this violence and will carry the memory with them forever.

This screams for people to remember the fundamentals.

1. Never cover anything you are not willing to destroy.

2. Keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to fire.

3. Visibly & physically inspect your weapon when you are unloading it.

4. Alcohol + Guns = Bad News.

I understand that some training situations relax rule #1, but I can think of no time other than structured force-on-force training, where I have both pointed a firearm at someone, and pulled the trigger.
                      "A fanatic is one who won't change his mind, and won't change the subject." -Winston Churchill

"I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts." -Will Rogers

"To desire to save these wolves in society may arise from benevolence, but it must be the benevolence of a child or a fool" -Henry Fielding

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3263 users online. 222 members and 3041 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X