300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 9 Hour Schedule

Anyone work a 9 hour schedule? I just heard about it the other day. We don't have enough people to go to a 4-10 plan. Basically you work 81 hours in a 2 week period. Four on/three off, five on/two off and then back again to the 4/3. Just wondered if this was something new.

Never heard of a 9 hour schedule. The normal schedules are the old standby 8 hour, the 10, and the 12. What would be the benefit of a 9 hour schedule?
    "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
    -Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

Our department uses 9 hour shifts. We are the only agency in the area that I am aware of that does it. Like mentioned above - five days on/ two days off, then four on/ three off. We have a month-long work period. It adds up to 162 hours every month (a “normal” work month would only have 160 hours), so each officer has a "short day" were they go home early or come in late two hours once a month.

The "benefits" are questionable. The department benefits because more officers can be on duty at a time than with a 4/10 schedule. The officers benefit because they are still getting some three day weekends.

Since the work period is a month long, the department admin benefits (and the officers lose out) because it is harder to accumulate over time.
      "There are two sides to every story.... mine and wrong." ~Stephen Colbert

"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." ~ Mel Brooks

"Hope for the Best. Expect the worst. Life is a play. We're unrehearsed."~ Mel Brooks

Comment

We work 9's. We pick our days off, so it probably won't work with a smaller department.
        The views expressed in the above post are the sole opinion of the author and do not reflect any official position by the author's employer and/or municipality.

Comment

Civilians do that a lot, city hall type folks. Its called the 9/80 plan.

A good schedule for a small agency is the 4/10 -3/12 split. Basically you get a choice, you work monday thru thursday 4/10 or you work Fri Sat Sun 3/12. So the you decide what you want. If you want weekends off then you work the 4/10, if you want four days off you do the 3/12. You only need five squads of officers to cover the whole week.
          Originally posted by FJDave
          GM, you have just set the bar that much higher for the rest of us in our witty, sarcastic responses. I yield to you! Good job, kind Sir!

District B13
          "We are not cops nor Feds." yet he still poses as an officer Hmmmm

Grant us grace, fearlessly, to contend against evil and to make no peace with oppression.--WWII memorial

"I have loved justice and hated iniquity, therefore I die in exile."

Pope Gregory V II

Comment

We have the 9/8/80 option available as well as the 4/10/40. The way it works is that you work 4 nine hour days either M-TH or Tu-Fri. The following week on your RDO (either Monday or Friday) you work an eight hour day. Some people prefer it over the 10's because they still get a 3 day weekend every other week, and their hours are a little shorter.
            Running is not a plan, running is what you do when a plan fails. -Tremors

Comment

I worked for a county PD that did 9 hour shifts. Ours ran like this:

6 on, 3 off; 6 on 3 off; 6 on, 4 off

During a 28 day cycle we worked 18. You always had the same series of days off. In my case that was Sun, Mon, Tue; Tue, Wed, Thu; and Thu, Fri, Sat, and Sun. Each officer had a slightly different rotation, but it was set up so everyone had a least three weekend days off at least two of which were together. I have worked 8 hour schedules and 12 hours schedules (I'd like to try 10s sometime). I liked the 9s best.
              -Landric

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them"-Felix

Comment

Originally posted by Garbage Man View Post
                Civilians do that a lot, city hall type folks. Its called the 9/80 plan.

A good schedule for a small agency is the 4/10 -3/12 split. Basically you get a choice, you work monday thru thursday 4/10 or you work Fri Sat Sun 3/12. So the you decide what you want. If you want weekends off then you work the 4/10, if you want four days off you do the 3/12. You only need five squads of officers to cover the whole week.
                Wouldn't your 3/12 officers get shorted by 8 hours by the end of the pay period? Or 4 hours a week..which ever you prefer. I'd like to see how this would work though.

Comment

Originally posted by KCSpartacus View Post
                  Wouldn't your 3/12 officers get shorted by 8 hours by the end of the pay period? Or 4 hours a week..which ever you prefer. I'd like to see how this would work though.
                  The weekend guys do a buyback day during the month just like a regular 3/12
                  Originally posted by FJDave
                  GM, you have just set the bar that much higher for the rest of us in our witty, sarcastic responses. I yield to you! Good job, kind Sir!

District B13
                  "We are not cops nor Feds." yet he still poses as an officer Hmmmm

Grant us grace, fearlessly, to contend against evil and to make no peace with oppression.--WWII memorial

"I have loved justice and hated iniquity, therefore I die in exile."

Pope Gregory V II

Comment

We do. Five on/three off. With this schedule, though, we are 32 hours short (in a year) of a normal full time work schedule. Hence, we are required to "give" 32 hours of OT to the county for training, etc. Usually, I fill my 32-hour rule requirement by February or March and the rest of the year is OT and COMP.

Also, our shift rotation is on a six-week time frame, ie: 6 weeks days, 6 weeks swing, 6 weeks graves, etc, etc.
                    Montana LEO
                    'Where the prairie meets the mountains"

Comment

Shifts explanation

Does anybody have an explanation about all the possible chances about shifts? I mean a document with some charts or something like that, because it's difficult to me realize about the different kind of shifts. Thank you so much, mates.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3598 users online. 247 members and 3351 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X