300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Threatened on the job

I know it comes as part of the job, but the other night I was threatened harm by an arrestee and it really got to me. Shes about 24, gang member. Cuffed and walking into the jail she was being an ***, and I told her if she kept it up she would be face down on the ground.
    then she said "If you throw me down, there will be a blood bath and the blood won't be mine"---right.

Anyway, Im not 'scared' but I just can't shake threat's off sometime and I keep replaying it in my mind. I live in a small place, and am bound to run into this individual on or OFF duty.

Anyone have any experiences or comments.?

I recently took a job with a small agency in a little tiny town in the upstate of SC. When I was in Charleston and Anderson I got threatened as a routine course of the job and I never much paid it any mind. The other day I was arresting a guy that my dispatch and several of the other officers I work with had told me from day one I would eventually run into.

To make a long story short he made just about every threat he could against me on the way to the jail. I charged him with threatening a public employee and that only seemed to make it worse. Out of all the times I have been threatened I have thought more about this one than any other because Number 1 he was sober as a judge and knew what he was saying and Number 2 based on his criminal record I would say he has no concept of consequences.

Either way not worried but I will say next time I encounter him so much as a flinch will be met with an immediate shutdown.

Comment

One thing I learned early on was to never tell any one what you "might" do. Some of these yoyo's take it as a challenge. And if you don't follow through they feel they have just called you on your threat.

Comment

I make it very clear that I don’t take kindly to a threat. I add charges and if an attitude adjustment is need like taking them to the ground it gets done. No warning is needed. I will then articulate in my report the reason I did it. I will make sure they understand that if they want to draw a line in the sand I will cross it. I will go home. The reason they joined the gang they are to scare individuals.
        Last edited by AKA=Cruz; 07-09-2007, 02:42 PM.
        "An officer has the confidence to stand alone, the courage to make tough decisions, and the compassion to listen to the needs of others. He does not set out to be a leader, but becomes one by the quality of his actions and the integrity of his intent."

Comment

I had a couple morons thought they were going to jump me in a gas station when I was off duty. I had arrested both of these guys in the past on numerous occasions. I guess they saw me and decided to hide in an aisle and then jump me.

Never happened which is a good thing for them. Neither one of these jokers have heart. They couldn't last. I got into a foot chase once with a friend of one of these guys. Started to run in his house and I chased after him. The guy jumped on my back as his friend ran in the house. He learned the hard way it was a very bad idea and after I took him off my back I continued in the house and arrested the guy. When I came back outside his friend was still laying on the ground in pain. He got to go also.

I found out about the incident at the gas station from one of my co-workers. Evidently these two guys had a third person with them. The third guy did not want to participate. He went and told my co-worker about this and in turn my fellow deputy went to the captain to bring him up to speed. My captain did an interview on the witness and had a memo put in my file about these two guys in the event they ever decided to try it.
          Prov 17:17 A friend loveth at all times, and a brother is born for adversity.

Comment

This is why you carry off duty. I don't mind going toe to toe when it's one on one. But you start bring others to the fight I start introducing my .40 to the party.

Everybody has or will get the threats. But I've never personally had anyone act on them. But I keep that in the back of my mind.
            Where'd you learn that, Cheech? Drug school?

Comment

Originally posted by canadiancop View Post
              I know it comes as part of the job, but the other night I was threatened harm by an arrestee and it really got to me. Shes about 24, gang member. Cuffed and walking into the jail she was being an ***, and I told her if she kept it up she would be face down on the ground.
              then she said "If you throw me down, there will be a blood bath and the blood won't be mine"---right.

Anyway, Im not 'scared' but I just can't shake threat's off sometime and I keep replaying it in my mind. I live in a small place, and am bound to run into this individual on or OFF duty.

Anyone have any experiences or comments.?
              There is another danger here. In my experience, many of these gang bangers are trying to provoke an immediate, emotional and physical response from you. With the proliferation of video cameras over the past 10 years, the bad guys are getting wise, and looking for a chance to sue. Not only will they get your job, but a nice sum from the city.
              Jack

Comment

Relax. She forgot about it about ten seconds after she was booked.

These are a part of the job - and extremely rare to ever mean anything. Just practice good officer safety at all times and you will see her before she sees you. If you ever do.

If you do, be more ruthless, more engraged, colder, meaner and more accurate and you will, prevail.
                The All New
                BBQ and Goldfish Pond Club
                Sully - IAM Rand - JasperST - L1 - The Tick - EmmaPeel - Columbus - LA Dep - SgtSlaughter - OneAdam12 - Retired96 - Iowa #1603
                - M1Garand

(any BBQ and Goldfish Pond member may nominate another user for membership but just remember ..... this ain't no weenie roast!)

Comment

Well like Cruz said, file additional charges. Here in Texas that would fall under "Retaliation".
                  Moooooooooooo, I'm a goat

Comment

One thing I learned early on was to never tell any one what you "might" do. Some of these yoyo's take it as a challenge. And if you don't follow through they feel they have just called you on your threat.
                    Yep, and in her defense, you DID threaten her first...As Tuco once said: "If you're going to shoot, shoot. Don't talk!"

Comment

When threats occur, I make it a point to not respond verbally. The person making the threat is usually intoxicated and getting into a debate usually results in escalating the problem. Keep the cuffs on during the entire search process, do what needs to be done and keep the conversation to a minimum. When you do need to talk, be professional and keep your tone of voice "understanding" (empathetic). Usually when the alcohol wears off the suspect doesn't even remember who made the arrest.

As to the feelings you're experiencing, I sympathize with you. Working in a less populated area means you stand out more obviously to potential threats, than say an officer in Southern California. Living here, I always carry a firearm off duty and OC or other less than lethal means of self defense. I hope you do the same, even though the overall environment is different. Being able to recognize potential threats first (situational awareness) and having the ability to counter those threats gives you the confidence to overcome those fears you are experiencing now. Remember this: The bad guy/girl you dealt with so well while on duty doesn't have any super powers when you're off duty. If you need to deal with a threat in either situation, you know you have the training, ability and equipment to do so!
                      "I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Comment

Oh ya, do not forget to thank her for the information as you put her in the cell and the detectives will definitely look it. And this might just get you that promotion you been trying to get…If you arrest one of her friends ask how she is doing and tell them you haven’t seen her since she gave you their names for that report you did.
                        "An officer has the confidence to stand alone, the courage to make tough decisions, and the compassion to listen to the needs of others. He does not set out to be a leader, but becomes one by the quality of his actions and the integrity of his intent."

Comment

You'll get these from time to time. Only you are in a position to gage the perp's sincerity.

Like others said, good idea to carry off duty anyway.

And also, I might add as others have, don't tell them what you will do or not do, don't let them get under your skin and provoke you. Just do the job and keep the lessons learned and taught in training in mind, and if you have to do something, do it.... and no more.

Above all, try your best to never make it personal.

JMHO
                          "That's right man, we've got mills here that'll blow that heap of your's right off the road."

"Beautiful Daughter of the Stars."(it's my home now)

>>>>> A Time for Choosing <<<<<

Retired @ 31yr 2mo as of 0000 hrs. 01-01-10. Yeah, all in all, it was good.

Comment

I CANNOT by law carry off duty. This is CANADA, and it isnt legal.

Anyway, I didnt really threaten her as she was being resistive to my arrest and I could care less what I said to her, because I know that I am good at my job and try to be reasonable with people all the time, no matter what state of sobriety they are in.

Am I scared? No. But it made me very angry and she deserves whatever she got in court the next morning. I think it was more of an intimidation thing anyway.

Comment

Have a drink and a few laughs

Well it happens and it happens again and again/....lol

Go out with some friends and have a few laughs. U'll probably run into her in the future,but they'll be more in the future too. Just use good officer safety skills, enjoy life and don't get into the word games with them. You may be surprised when you do run into her, nothing will occur.

Was she under the influence?
                              Last edited by Napstr; 07-10-2007, 03:19 AM.
                              "God Created Police Officers So Firefighters Would Have A Hero"

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6418 users online. 371 members and 6047 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X