300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Profession

I see a recent thread about done being a cop, but there wasn’t much on there. I’m wondering if anyone here has contemplated leaving law enforcement, for whatever reason, and what profession would you go into? I love this job but I’m not sure if I want to do it anymore.

Interesting thought, I think for most, it’s more than just a job, it actually becomes who you are; you’re the cop, vs the guys who’s the regular job holder.

Comment

• Aidokea
      Aidokea commented
      Editing a comment
      Yup. That's why they call it "The Job". Probably not healthy, but a lot of us are like that.

Originally posted by NolaT View Post
    Interesting thought, I think for most, it’s more than just a job, it actually becomes who you are; you’re the cop,.

Yea and I am having trouble deciding whether or not to get out.

For those that don't know I retired after 29 yrs with the Iowa Department of Corrections.....Prior to that there were 5 yr as a deputy sheriff and 6 months after I left the DOC I was hired in a uniformed non sworn Court Security / Inmate Transportation officer. I now have 11 1/2 yrs in doing that and am the supervisor for the division off all retired LEO and State qualified CO's. Iowa is a VERY LEO friendly state. BUT I am not patrolling
    I will be turning 67 yrs old in January. Still in FAIRLY good health and able to do almost anything I have ever done

EXCEPT-------the last 3 yrs I have had considerable trouble qualification on the range. It's more of a vision problem than mechanical. We have to qualify on the Iowa Law Enforcement Academy qualification court. This year I tried for two days.....about 4 attempts each day--- and couldn't . I left frustrated and chose not to go back the "make up" day. All 3 instructors wanted me to come back and work on it but I was exhausted

I am tired............& I just am NOT going to go through the stress anymore. I am leaning on just totally retiring at the end of the year & I will be fine with that but pulling the plug is HARD
    My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

• Aidokea
      Aidokea commented
      Editing a comment
      I hope you enjoy retirement. Being a retired cop is WAY better than being a cop.

• Bing_Oh
      Bing_Oh commented
      Editing a comment
      I keep in touch with quite a few now-retired guys I've worked with in my career. The common thread seems to be that quitting is tough, they couple months after quitting feels like you're adrift, but there comes a point where you realize how much better you feel without the job. None of the guys I know who are out of the job look worse now than they did while they were doing it...most are happier, healthier, and more relaxed once they tore off that particular bandaid and left.

We all know deep down that the job isn't healthy for us.

• GoldBadge
      GoldBadge commented
      Editing a comment
      Just enjoy true retirement brother. You paid your dues twice over.

Originally posted by Boss762 View Post
    I’m wondering if anyone here has contemplated leaving law enforcement, for whatever reason, and what profession would you go into?

I left via retirement after 27 years. The original plan was to transition into a private sector job at a subsidiary of a major defense manufacturer where I had a couple of contacts. We'd been having informal discussions for two years about a position.

Couple months later the company was sold by the defense contractor to a small group of investors. The new owners immediately cut several positions, including the guys who I'd been talking with. From that point on, crickets.

Then Covid hit and everything shut down. Remember that nuttiness? Several months passed of living like Anne Frank in Ansterdam in 1942. Couldn't even get a haircut or a beer at a pub....

I saw a job on Indeed paying $30/hour to conduct workman comp/covid exposure surveillance for a private security company. You know, sit outside the house of some guy who claimed he was exposed to covid to get 10 days of paid leave but then goes partying at a neighbor's bar-b-que. The company wouldn't allow me to carry a firearm due to insurance costs. I quit after sitting an hour in a burned out violent neighborhood where residents quickly notice strange vehicles and sometimes start shooting at them.

I drove pontoon boats for a marina as a seasonal job. Transported boats from various lakes to a marina to get winterized and shrinkwrapped. Pay was $16 /hour and the owner assured me there would be plenty of big tips from customers. The reality was one in five tipped and it wasn't the fat cats with $80K Benningtons... it was the school teachers with dented boats with plastic furniture and torn carpeting.

Worked part-time as a firearms instructor but left after a couple of years. Some guys love hanging around the gun range after they retire and telling half-true war stories and talking tactics and cop sh*t with strangers. I'm not that guy.

Started to get really bored with retirement about a year ago. Especially in the afternoons... just seemed like a time waste to sit around not being productive...

I began to apply for real jobs, as in 40 hours a week and a salary over $50,000. Went through several interviews, was promised one job only to have it fall through, then went through several more interviews. Just recently the stars aligned and I was offered and accepted a compliance position. I haven't started yet so we'll see how it goes.

My retiree buddies all landed in different places. A couple of guys are doing armed transport of dope and dope money, which is completelty ironic. A handful ended up in corporate or hospital security jobs. One former boss is working executive protection for a very wealthy family, which basically entails dropping their kids off at school and picking them up. Others are just chillin out... golfing before nine, a martini or two with lunch, then a nap before dinner. Repeat the next day. And the next.

Getting back to the compliance thing... this is a field I consider well-suiited for prior LEOs but few LEOs know about it. Search for compliance jobs on Indeed and you'll find it ranges from export compliance to safety compliance to environmental compliance to regulatory compliance. Pay is decent and there usually aren't specific education requirements. What they want are people who can interpret rules and mitigate risks and tell grown adults they're doing things wrong. Who's better at all that than former LEOs??

Good luck to you, if you do end up leaving.
    When the wolf tells the story, the shepard is the enemy.

Comment

I could live very comfortably on my pension and investments without working another day in my life. So I decided to work only if I could find something that I truly enjoyed.

That didn't take long, and now I'm a professional geese chaser. Yup. I'm partnered with an awesome border collie, and we respond to various properties (golf courses, airports, public parks and lakes, ballfields etc.) to chase away Canadian geese on foot and by kayak.

I love it. I work with the best partner I've ever had, and I get to spend time outdoors and be active. And it reminds me of cop work -- dispersing crowds, trespassing unwanted subjects, dealing with frequent flyers, and stepping in sh*t.

Comment

Originally posted by not.in.MY.town View Post
        I could live very comfortably on my pension and investments without working another day in my life. So I decided to work only if I could find something that I truly enjoyed.

That didn't take long, and now I'm a professional geese chaser. Yup. I'm partnered with an awesome border collie, and we respond to various properties (golf courses, airports, public parks and lakes, ballfields etc.) to chase away Canadian geese on foot and by kayak.

I love it. I work with the best partner I've ever had, and I get to spend time outdoors and be active. And it reminds me of cop work -- dispersing crowds, trespassing unwanted subjects, dealing with frequent flyers, and stepping in sh*t.

Great Job! I’d do that in a heartbeat!

Comment

Originally posted by not.in.MY.town View Post

I have no worry about being comfortable with my pension and investments.

I enjoy what I am doing with the Sheriff's Office. If I chose not to go back out to qualify I am good with leaving. The sheriff has also made some comments about me being strictly administrative and running as a second on transports. But I don't know If I even want to discuss that
          Last edited by Iowa #1603; 10-03-2022, 09:30 AM.
          My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

I appreciate all the reply’s so far. I should mention I’m only 5 years on and currently at a sheriffs office in Florida. Back in the day, pensions used to be a huge reason why people signed up. But now, you’re hard to find an agency that isn’t 30 years, or 20 with a significant contribution. Not to mention, sheriffs in Florida usually are not unionized. Not that that’s a contributing factor, but when I have a problem, literally no one cares. For example, I currently earn half a day off every pay period, so 1 day off a month working 12 hour shifts. Maybe I’m just complaining but working not only overnight 12s, but a law enforcement job too, I need more time away. That being said, the pay in Florida is far below what it should be, especially given today’s economy. Most people work extra jobs to make ends meet. I’m not naive to think
            the grass is greener, it’s a general idea that it’s not better anywhere else and it might be time for something else. Trust me, I wanted to do this since high school. I cannot imagine anything else. I’ve gotten multiple trainings under my belt including FTO and instructor among others. I strive to be a leader amongst my peers and aim to be a supervisor soon if I stick around. Problem is, I can’t afford the basics in life anymore. I would like to buy a house soon and with the average price of a house where I live being over $300k and my base salary at $65k, it’s literally not possible to afford anything else with a mortgage at that price. And come on, I live in Florida. Who doesn’t want a boat to ruin their lives at least once before retirement.

Anyways, I’m thinking more along the lines of starting a business of some sort. Sounds cliché and far fetched but I almost want to work for myself. Also, I know it sounds like complaints but it’s kinda just throwing ideas around with y’all to see what the veterans and newcomers think.

Comment

As the saying goes, you start a business working 80+ hours a week for yourself so you don't have to work 40 hours a week for someone else.

Have you thought about just getting out of Florida and taking your skills somewhere else?

Comment

Agreed, you rise or fall depending on Your effort and direction, not anyone else’s.

Comment

I worked for the NYPD. The job always had it's ups and downs. I retired at 48 with a good pension and lifetime medical for me and my wife. The medical costs $10.67 a month. My wife has a serious illness and the medical has covered hundreds of thousands of dollars of procedures, operations and meds. the only thing I pay out of pocket is co-payments. The pension allows me to stay home and take care of her. I bitched and moaned like everone else but there isn't a day that goes by that I don't thank God that I stayed with the NYPD.

Comment

I'm rapidly approaching retirement and have been considering the options. I'll be too young to putter around the house and I don't play golf, so I figure a part-time job is my other choice. What will it be? I don't know exactly, but I do know I want it to be something where I'm not fixing someone's problems that they've spent so much time and effort creating for themselves...I've been doing that for 20+ years and I'm over it.
                    "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
                    -Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

Originally posted by CCCSD View Post

Great Job! I’d do that in a heartbeat!
                      It's pretty sweet. It's the perfect job for me since I love dogs, don't care much for geese, and hate people. I get to work and live with my four-legged best buddy, I don't have to deal with supervisors or co-workers, and I get to be outdoors all day. It only pays $25/hr, but I'd honestly do it for free just so I could hang out with this incredible dog.

Comment

I retired after 23 years when a job opened up for a national company based in my area. The job was a logistics safety coordinator. I oversee a fleet of 450 box trucks and 100 tractor trailers nationally from this location. All new drivers come through our office to get taught our way. Since I retired and began here, I have brought two other cops to my side from a neighboring agency that I worked near. And, we are probably bringing a retired trooper on board soon.

It's a great gig, DOT compliance, accident reporting and tracking, and training. They're sending us retired cops to get our Class A CDL later this month to really be able to train the new long-haul guys.

Love my new job/career and the people I work with. My boss is a lady that is hands down the best person I've ever worked for. Unreal the positive environment I am in daily compared to that of a police department. Take the leap.
                        Why are there so many babies on O.com? Creole, you and your buddy JPSO Recruit help me out on this one....

* "Preach always, if necessary, use words!" St Francis of Assisi

* Luke Chapter 6, Verses 27-36

Comment

• Iowa #1603
                          Iowa #1603 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Glad to hear you are doing well ....

• not.in.MY.town
                          not.in.MY.town commented
                          Editing a comment
                          @towncop
                          I guess barber school will have to wait. I was looking forward to visiting "Town Cop's Chop Shop"

I did not want to start a new thread so I thought I would post here. I rarely post and haven't been on here in a while.

So here I am approaching retirement in 1.5 years. Despite todays political climate and other nonsense going on in the profession, I still love doing the job I started almost 20 years ago. I slowed down a little after the BLM, Politicians, COVID, and all the other crap started. Slowly I have started getting back out there and getting proactive at times and enjoying it. Still kinda believe in if your using the body cams / in car cameras, doing things by the book, and keeping your nose clean your not going to have much problems. Of course anything can go sideways and find yourself in a jam. I know Law Enforcement has gone through its up and downs and speaking to much older officers, they have seen similar or worse times. Maybe Im holding out hope that the pendulum will swing back.

I work for a large agency making very good money and have a very generous retirement and benefits plans. I could basically retire and would not have to work again if I play my cards right. The agency recently adopted a DROP program which a few officers have taken advantage of. They have recently extended the DROP program because officers are still quitting or retiring despite the DROP program. I have it set in my mind to roll out as soon as I am eligible.

The issues I have with the department is that the agency is really run by the council members and the elected leader. The higher ups in the department pretend listen to their troops but continue with the same protocols or make negative changes. They care more about what a minority of people would perceive. Morale is at a record low then I have ever seen. A lot of newer officers have been leaving and going to other agencies that don't have anywhere near the benefits but have a better working environment. The current prosecutor absolutely sucks and is your typical activist mainly focused on prosecuting officers. Although I will say most of the charges have seemed justified IMHO. There is a huge turnover rate with the prosecutors. Of course you tell yourself to keep making arrests and its not in your hands anymore once it makes it to the prosecutor. Every once in a while you see a glimmer of hope here and there but seems far and in between.

Now my question now is, if I retire and continue with this profession, what route should I take? Im still young and have plenty of go still left in me. I have thought of going to a smaller agency in a better area far away thats more appreciative of law enforcement or at least doesn't entertain the political nonsense. I was also curious if anyone here has had worked under a sheriff before and how it compared working at an agency with a Chief thats appointed by local politicians. I would like to know if you are more free to do your job without interference under a sheriff compared to a Chief that has to answer to politicians.

I am sure this has been covered before but would just like to hear others opinions.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2370 users online. 163 members and 2207 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X