Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, I doubt anybody other than you ever believed the totally absurd version that you posted.

It sounds like a pretty cool movie plot tough. Too bad Bruce Willis retired from acting. Maybe Liam Neeson is available?

Comment

Originally posted by Aidokea View Post
      I've gone back and edited my posts, after an interview of the off-duty BORTAC guy reveals he was NOT the one that shot the offender, he was NOT part of the entry team, and he may not have even gone into the school.

He stood in an exterior doorway, and Uvalde police evacuated other classrooms and sent the kids towards him, and he sent them outside.
      Ha, now my following post seems odd, lol!

Comment

• Aidokea
        Aidokea commented
        Editing a comment
        You can go back and edit yours if you want- I just wanted to have the most correct information we know.

A few points:

Its easy for the public, especially those ignorant of police tactics and the anti-police faction, to grab onto a piece of misinformation and not let go. Our local BLM group still insists that the responding police intentionally stood by because it was "only" Hispanic kids being killed.

According to a Google search, the Uvalde School District has their own police force of 5 or 6 officers, including a Chief. This is odd to me, especially for a small town. I'm interested in learning how/if this factored in to the response. My gut tells me that this is going to come down to officer training and equipment availability.

Looking ahead, now that DOJ has announced an investigation, I wonder if this incident will drive tactical changes across the country, similar to the way Columbine did.

Comment

Never interested enough to Google, but I’ve been curious as to what School District Police and their Chief do, and how popular this is,……..

Comment

• orlandofed5-0
          orlandofed5-0 commented
          Editing a comment
          It depends on the state. In Pennsylvania, school districts can create their own departments, can contract out to a licensed security company for armed/unarmed school security/police personnel ( I did this and will explain more to it) or can contract with the county sheriff, state constable or municipal police agency. I will break down each.

It's becoming more common for school districts in Pennsylvania to bring in their own in house department. These officers are generally retired municipal or state police officers who still have their police certification (Known as Act 120) and work directly for the school district. They're assigned to patrol a school or several schools on a shift and work with school administration and facilities to ensure that all security measures are working.

Contract security police service. I worked for a contract security company that contracted out school police officers. We had to meet the same background checks as school employees along with meeting school police standards for training and certifications. I wasn't at a public school, I worked at a private religious school, so my duties included the following:

Setting up the schools active shooter, fire drill and lockdown plans. Along with implementation and training of staff in all areas.

Conducting physical security services to the school and other properties owned by the school.

Patrol of school property. I had 3 school security guards under me who provided patrol duties along with working with the deans at school starting and dismissal times. We also provided chaperone service to students who took public transportation on their day of work study.

Rate of pay was $200/day for school police officers and $100/day for school security guards.

Contracting to other law enforcement agencies. Pennsylvania law allows for school districts to contract out police services to the local police department, county sheriff or local constable. Generally most school districts will contract out for an officer to be their SRO. Some districts will go with the constable however I am against this because the constable doesn't have to meet the same standards as the municipal police officer and can charge whatever rate suits them.
          County sheriff's can contract out SRO services and this generally happens in your more rural counties. State law was changed that allowed sheriff's deputies to handle SRO duties since the sheriff's academy is pretty equivalent to our police academy.

Learned something new,………

Comment

Los Angeles Unified School District Police
          San Diego Unified School District Police
          etc…

Comment

Originally posted by NolaT View Post
            Never interested enough to Google, but I’ve been curious as to what School District Police and their Chief do, and how popular this is,……..
            No such thing in Iowa
            My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

It seems to be popular in the populated areas of Nevada as well.

Comment

• TedMosby
                TedMosby commented
                Editing a comment
                Yeah its popular out here. Specifically the department is Clark County School District Police. There's only one school district in the Las Vegas Metro Area. Whereas where my wife family in Western WA, for the most part, almost all the cities have their own school district. Most of the school districts in WA state aren't staffed with armed SRO's. But the Highline School District does have an armed Patrol Officer but they aren't assigned being inside a school. They just patrol all the school district properties. The SRO's that are assigned to be inside schools are only armed with a taser and OC spray.

• TedMosby
                TedMosby commented
                Editing a comment
                Being an armed patrol officer for Highline School District pays really well out there, even working their PT gig of 2-3 days a week. Its very comparable to the local municipality and sheriffs depts. And that's saying something cuz almost all the depts in Western WA are starting out at 75k and topping out at 100k+ after 5 years.

Ironically, Denver Public Schools voted to remove SROs from campus…. but still have a district police department.
              "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

https://www.foxnews.com/us/texas-off...rs-waited-keys

Ouch. That's some damning testimony from the head of the Texas Dept of Public Safety.
                "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
                -Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

• Aidokea
                  Aidokea commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Doh!!!!!!!

• PNW.CFE
                  PNW.CFE commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Suddenly my hypothetical questions seem more relevant...

Originally posted by PNW.CFE View Post
                  Think about it this way...if those officers had breached right away, no one would question it. We'd all agree "yeah that's what we're trained to do in an active shooter situation." The fact that they didn't, or couldn't, is what raises these questions.
                  Or we could buy into tanksoldier's theory that the instant the shooting stopped, this became a barricaded subject with hostages and breaching would have been inappropriate.

The story is Really getting interesting now,…….!

Comment

The fallout is gonna be interesting.
                  Getting shot hurts! Don't under estimate the power of live ammo. A .22LR can kill you! I personally feel that it's best to avoid being shot by any caliber. Your vest may stop the bullet, but you'll still get a nice bruise or other injury to remember the experience.

Comment

Originally posted by HI629 View Post
                  The fallout is gonna be interesting.
                  As it should be,………

Was the classroom door seriously unlocked??!!

Comment

As it should be,………

Was the classroom door seriously unlocked??!!
                    Yep.
                    Fail Cop 101. ALWAYS try the door first…

Comment

The chief of the school district police has been placed on leave and I am sure they're going to start setting him up for termination.
                      I don't answer recruitment messages....

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2429 users online. 158 members and 2271 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X