Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does your agency make you wear a cover?

What are your rules on covers? ball cap or service cap. I know some departments make there guys wear a cover whenever outside of the car and others never.

We only wear our service caps at funerals or something very formal, otherwise it's a ball cap and it's up to the officer to wear one for duty or not with the exception of parades and festivals where we all have to wear one.

Drill Sgt hats and baseball caps (but the BB caps are the gay 70's looking things). We are not required to wear anything though.

I just don't understand the concept of requiring someone to wear a goofy looking hat. It just adds one more piece of equiptment THAT SERVES NO PURPOSE THAN TO LOOK "professional" (- if you can call it that -) for an officer to worry about. All it takes is JUST enough of a distraction (wind gust starts to blow it off as an example or just the time it takes to put on when getting out of a prowler) that makes an LEO miss some evidence OR WORSE miss an act/weapon that puts him in danger.

ANY chief that REQUIRES his officers to do this is thinking about image ONLY and not the safety of his men. My 2 cheap cents.
    Space for rent .........

Comment

Originally posted by lionheart45 View Post
      We only wear our service caps at funerals or something very formal, otherwise it's a ball cap and it's up to the officer to wear one for duty or not with the exception of parades and festivals where we all have to wear one.

same here...
      sigpic

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Comment

LAPD-style 8-point hats only at funerals and other very formal events.

EDJ
        "It's a game of cat and mouse. It's a game of hide and seek. Albeit games with deadly consequences. Like most games-the better you know the rules, the more likely you are to win."

Comment

8-pointers whenever i am are out of the car in the business district and not on a call. so if i'm out on a call, no matter how mundane, i don't have to have it on. if i'm walking to a deli to get my lunch, i have to have it on. it makes a whole lot of sense.

luckily i work midnights and my hat never leaves my gearbag.
          -Sean

Comment

It's pretty rare in California to see an officer wearing a hat on patrol. My department wears Smokey Bears, but there are only a couple of us who ever wear them. I will occasionally wear one on a sunny day to prevent sunburn on my bald pate, but hats are generally a pain.
            Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

Per our policy....yes.

In actuality....rarely. Except when, perhaps the media is around. I like it, but it tends to get in the way at times.

A man should never be ashamed to own that he has been in the wrong, which is but saying... that he is wiser today than yesterday. Jonathan Swift 1667-1745

It's only a conspiracy when your party is not in power.

Comment

dont even have a hat.

Comment

I have a locker full of hats, but I dont have to wear any of them.

They do make me wear pants. Its a required by policy. It does look better with the gun belt.
                  It takes a Wolf.......

Comment

Originally posted by Irishluck31 View Post

They do make me wear pants. Its a required by policy. It does look better with the gun belt.
                    Man how dare they make you wear pants I'd talk to your rep about that.

Comment

we got the ballcaps but their optional, to me it doesnt look professional so i dont wear it and i dont wear sunglasses..but thats just me

Comment

We are issued the bus driver hats but only have to wear them a funerals and such. I had a nice black ball cap with the agency logo on it. I wore it in the rain and foul weather. The Chief got a wild hair about ball caps so now their forbidden. I wish we would go back to the old style cowboy hats we used to wear. Those would work great in the rain.

Comment

A hat, lol?

No, we don't have to wear hats. Thank God. We can wear the embroidered, full back, ball caps with BDUs, with regular uniforms at night, or when it's raining. Actually, the policy says only with BDUs, but no one really cares if they're worn with inclement weather, etc.

I hate wearing hats so I only do it in the rain as I hate getting rained on more. Some people have dress hats that look like the typical cop hat, but I don't have one which I'm actually thankful about, lol. I saw the "honor guard" wear them during a fireman's funeral (he drowned while fishing) once, but no one besides the honor guard had them. However, they're issued to others besides honor guard members so they're mostly wasted money, IMO.

Comment

heres to the demise of the cover. my agency has also gone to the baseball hat. we are not required to wear any hat whatsoever but the baeball hat is for extra-duty details. the old hat comes out fortunately only once in a great while for a funeral. i agree that the formal hats look professional but do they really have a place in routine police patrol work anymore?

Comment

Originally posted by Irishluck31 View Post

Man, I need to check my procedures manual. I not sure pants are required.
                              ...that could be cannon fire...

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2651 users online. 143 members and 2508 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X