300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Geezer needs backup..Screwed by Civil Service

I just found out I'm not eligible for a job because of paperwork not completed 15 years ago.
    In 1992 Civil Service came into full effect. In the classifications for Police there was non-competitive and competitive. All those that were on the job prior to the "lists" had to have paperwork filled out that put them into the competitive classification.

I just found out that I am not eligible for a part time Deputy position because the lazy Chief of Police never did this paperwork in 1992 and despite the fact that I never knew it was even required ..........I now pay the price for his negligence.

I asked why this change was not "automatic" and got the helpful response from our local civil service director of "Just Because".

Anyone ever done an appeal or gone through the Appeal Process with a Civil Service Department?
    Rule #1 - If it doesn't change supper it's not worth the worry.
    Rule #10 - YOU ARE NOW THE MINORITY. This country is no longer the one your parents knew. You will not be able to understand it. You will not be able to change it. You must learn to live with it.

Is it possible for you to get the new chief to retro-file the paperwork for you. After a successful career you should not be penalized for the inadequate performance of someone else. Check with your Association to see if they can help you in some way.
    Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

As stated above the p/w was to move existing LEOs to the "competitive" classification. The county Sheriff submitted the req'd P/W for his guys...another area Chief input all his but apparently our Chief did not bother.

He is still the Chief and has always had the reputation of a slug.

The local C.S. director states wasn't done...too bad for you.

Just hoping there is a way to fight "city hall". This deal just does not pass the reasonable test.
      Rule #10 - YOU ARE NOW THE MINORITY. This country is no longer the one your parents knew. You will not be able to understand it. You will not be able to change it. You must learn to live with it.

Comment

I just found out I'm not eligible for a job because of paperwork not completed 15 years ago.
        In 1992 Civil Service came into full effect. In the classifications for Police there was non-competitive and competitive. All those that were on the job prior to the "lists" had to have paperwork filled out that put them into the competitive classification.
        Maybe he chose to leave all his existing officers as non competitive on purpose ?

Were you "competitive" or were you "non-competitive"?

What would definitions of each be?
        "That's right man, we've got mills here that'll blow that heap of your's right off the road."

"Beautiful Daughter of the Stars."(it's my home now)

>>>>> A Time for Choosing <<<<<

Retired @ 31yr 2mo as of 0000 hrs. 01-01-10. Yeah, all in all, it was good.

Comment

You have a union? Since you were a member (I hope!) in good standing during the time the Chief was supposed to do this for you, maybe you can get their LDF to help you out. That would take a bit of the financial burden and stress off you and get you some very professional help.

Comment

Simply put >>>> Competitive classification means eligible for lateral transfers.

No union.

Comment

Oh, dang....maybe the FOP can help ya? I know you have already thought of that as well....In Calif, if you have a POST basic certificate, you can be a copper anywhere in the state, for any police agency. Maybe Calif ain't so bad.....

Comment

Update
                In contact with our State Assemblyman for some reinforcement to work through the system. It may be that all officers in my village department were classified as non-competitive because all were not certified by the BMP.
                At the time I was the only one with the mandated certification.

Comment

Good luck Sarge.....It's amazing how much a local pol can help. I hope it worjks out for you.

Comment

Dino
                    Thanks. This should be interesting if nothing else. Small town politics are intriguing...especially when you sense there are hidden agendas to work through.

Comment

As a very wise pundit (who shall remain nameless since I'm drawing a blank) once said "all politics is local".......just watch your back.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6146 users online. 329 members and 5817 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X