Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can_Rookie
    replied
    An idea for maps we use up here is that when the developers purchase the land and finalize their plans for it...they forward a map to the city. The city then makes sure all of that information is available on our system's mapping feature. They do a really good job of it...we've had a major economic boom for the past few years, and we have maps of subdivisions that aren't even built yet.

Would a process like this help you guys down there, instead of using Microsoft Streets & Trips?? I don't say that sarcastically, I know things are different down there and I've never used that program before.

Leave a comment:

• Jim1648
    replied
    Your county needs to move into the 21st century. Our county property records actually has GPS coordinates on their publicly available webpage. I have had to do what you are talking about and I just pull the coordinates, enter them in the GPS, and drive right there.

Leave a comment:

• KenW.
    replied
    -evict someone from their home, or

-take their kids away
    Now that's fun, isn't it? How about taking a person out of thier home on an involuntary mental commitment? Fortunately, I do have a TASER.

Getting back on-track with the thread; The building boom in my county has greatly out-paced the mapmakers. I really could benefit from a computer with some mapping ability. I need to go to the real property assessor's office to find a plot that is undeveloped in one of the last rural areas of the county, and post it for a Sheriff's sale. All I have is the "parcel ID" number.

Leave a comment:

• alanmoor
    replied
    I have used Delorme for years and have mixed feelings. The buttons are small but for the most part I just use it to find an address and the size of the buttons doesn't matter for that. In developing areas their maps are out of date. However, around here it is pretty accurate. They also supply a free "Serial Emulator" for their USB gps product, so have my GPS tied into my Mobile Dispatch software so it tracks me there, and also have it tied to a program that uploads my location to a server so I can be tracked (and found in case I don't answer the radio). I would get a copy of the Delorme product and try it befor committing. I know I used Microsloth's product years ago and preferred Delorme's over it, but that's been 8 years ago at least.

Alan

Leave a comment:

• Jim1648
    replied
    Taser

Ken,

I, too, am a civil guy as you may recall and I don't have a Taser, in fact I probably never will have a Taser. At any rate I have had several occasions recently where I ahve brought a local cop with me and they Tased someone for me. In fact, now that I think about it, they have ALL been on evictions. We were talking about this recently at work how you can jail somebody and they know they are getting out soon enough, so that don't get too excited, especially since they have probably been jaile before, but man you go to:

-evict someone from their home, or

-take their kids away

and there is a decent chance that you might just have a knock-down, drag out on your hands, especially if they have some, umm, shall we say mental health "issues".

Leave a comment:

• KenW.
    replied
    The brass says that why we have radios...

I'm not a patrolman, I'm the guy that kicks you out of your house, siezes your property, serves your arrest warrant, and extradites you.

Leave a comment:

• firestone88
    replied
    Originally posted by KenW. View Post
    They're dispatched from thier own office over nextells.

Oh, then that's another story. I was going to say... when I was a dog catcher, they gave us MDT's to shut us up. We were handling 30+ calls a day per officer with about 4 officers. The MDT's cut down radio traffic drastically, and most Operations personnel took us a lot more seriously.

No excuse in your situation, then. What's exactly do you do?

Leave a comment:

• topcoper22
    replied
    At my department we use the DeLorme Street Atlas and the DeLorme GPS that goes with it. Wonderful wonderful program I would highly suggest to go with this program. I work in Louisiana and our crash system that was designed by LSU LA Crash, (The departments that use it) we have to use the GPS on it to get lat and lon and the GPS works for that as well. Use this one we have had no problems with it at all!

Leave a comment:

• KenW.
    replied
    Better than hearing all the dog calls taking up airtime though, right?
    They're dispatched from thier own office over nextells.

Leave a comment:

• Jim1648
    replied
    And that is what I have now. I bought my own Garmin StreetPilot 2730 after being told that I could not connect one to the laptop computer. Now somebody else mentions it to the Chief Deputy and he tells us to look into it if it is only about $100 per unit. We do have pretty new computers, the Panasonic Toughbook CF-29, so I think that they will handle it okay.

Leave a comment:

• DesertRat
    replied
    Just for the whatever it worth file, I went to a solo dash mount GPS unit because the Delorme that operates through the lap top is slower than the car going to the calls. If your not operating the fastest laptops available you may find the same problem. Those little dashtop dedicated units do only one job and they do it fast.

Leave a comment:

• KWSO73
    replied
    We use Microsoft Streets and Maps as well. No issues, like it a lot. I would recommend it.

Leave a comment:

• Airforcop
    replied
    We have Microsoft Streets & Trips pre installed on all our laptops. Only thing we have to do is buy our own GPS and good to go. I have no complaints with it. Has a night mode and has been very accurate for me within our jurisdiction.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I have the delorme product. DO NOT BUY IT. While it works okay the buttons are very small and its difficult to use while in a patrol car. Also the streets are not very accurate. It is only useful when traveling on large roads. When you get into the residential areas the streets are off, which is probably the more important part to having GPS for law enforcement. Spend the few extra bucks and get the better product.

Leave a comment:

• firestone88
    replied
    Originally posted by KenW. View Post
    I'd LOVE to have GPS. I'd LOVE to have a computer. I'd LOVE to have a rifle. I'd LOVE to have a radar UNIT. I'd love a lot of things. Problem is that I'm not a traffic officer or a patrolman.

We don't get those neat things for seizing property, transporting prisoners, working warrants and doing extraditions.

I can't have a computer, but our DOG CATCHERS (pardon me; Animal Control Officers) ARE ONLINE WITH THE COMPUTERS IN THIER RIGS.
    Better than hearing all the dog calls taking up airtime though, right?

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4767 users online. 297 members and 4470 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X