Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OC exposure, is it supposed to be this bad?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OC exposure, is it supposed to be this bad?

On saturday night I had to give a guy a little OC convincing not to fight. (Guy was drunk and beat up his 60 y/o dad, to make matters worse he was an offduty cop.) Anyway, this was my first experience with oc outside of the academy last year. Since I was so close to him I got hit in the face and hands as well. I was able to work through the pain of my eyes with little more than a grimace until I tried some of the wipes, then I was on the floor. My question is this, my hands burned horribly for 38 hours. No where else, just my hands. In the academy my face felt fine but my hands burned until I finally took sleeping pills to get over it, about 20 hours. Is it supposed to last this long? Could I possibly be allergic?

I've had OC blowback myself, my hands have felt slightly "sunburned" but not to the 38 hour(!) point or where I couldn't sleep. I would imagine you would have had a similar reaction/problem when you were exposed in the academy(?)
    Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The first amendment protected views/commentary/opinions/satire expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer.

Comment

OC Exposure

Not qualified to give you a medical answer, but when I originally certified with OC, the Instructor mentioned it could effect different people in some strange ways. Flushing with water, very generously, seems to work for the eyes. Skin?, Man I don't know. I'd be tempted to try skin cream etc, but sure don't want to steer you wrong. Why not talk to one of the Docs or Nurses at the ER next time you're there. They might suggest something.

Comment

Getting sprayed with OC by fellow officers comes with the job, just gotta work through it, no big deal. Remember this, sometimes OC makes a bad situation worse, every scene is different. Stay Safe
        law dog

Comment

Originally posted by PhilipCal View Post
          I'd be tempted to try skin cream etc, but sure don't want to steer you wrong.
          VERY BAD!!! I am an OC instructor and you don't want to put anything on it. That will only keep it in the pores even longer, making your "pain" time even longer. Wash your hands good with soap and water and then keep them in the air as much as you can to let them air out. You may have a skin reaction of some sort to it. But to only be on your hands is wierd. You might talk to a doctor some time if you get a chance for some medical advice.
          "In God we trust, all others we run NCIC"

Comment

I'm asthmatic and I don't particularly care for anything that makes it hard to breathe! Therefore, I carry an Asp and have yet to spray anyone in 2 years. (Of course, I work the majority of my time in the schools anyway.)
            Not saying I won't spray; I've had it out several times on patrol but I'm reluctant to use it until absolutely necessary.
            If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

---Jack Handey

Comment

If you're really fair skinned then it's worse.

Don't put anything on the exposed area besides plenty of water.

If it were an allergic reaction then you probably would have swelled up or gone into shock.

Would not hurt to do an injury report and see the City Doctor.

Comment

My wife still works in an ER and I had her ask some of the docs and they all said the same thing, air and time. And as for being fair skinned making it hurt worse...both my parents are 100% irish, born in Ireland. That gives me no hope. We're getting tasers at the end of this month, so maybe that'll eat into my need for OC. I've gone a year before this incident not needing it, maybe I'll go another year.

Comment

Water and air,that's the solution for OC.In the past few months once a week during protests for educational laws here i was exposed to CS gas and OC.Most of the time i would wear a gas mask but when this wasn't possible i had to inhale a lot of CS gas and the solution was simple, water on my eyes and hands and exposure to fresh air.
                  Audacis foruna iuvat.

Comment

Taser, taser. No more need to bring the OC out of the holster ...
                    d

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5984 users online. 350 members and 5634 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X