300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Playing of the race card

So I'm doing traffic enforcement on the highway coming into our little city. I spot 1 car among 3 other cars going 52 in the 30. I pull out of my spot and stop the vehicle. Operator happens to be African American. I have dispatch run his license which comes back suspended. Our dept's policy during the day shift on weekdays is to place suspended drivers in custody and have them arraigned. I place the guy in custody, female passenger has a valid license so I let her drive the vehicle when I could have towed it. I transport the guy to the station to await arraignment. As I'm processing him, he all of a sudden starts playing the race card. Tells me I put the cuffs on him tight because he was black. I told him no one ever says the cuffs feel comfortable. I told him I would do everything the same if he was a white guy. He tells me that I picked his car out of the other cars because he was black...so on and so forth. I had a can of skoal sitting on the desk...he asks if I chew skoal with all my black friends. At this point I wanted to say, "You know what? If this was being watched on television right now, who do you think would look like the racist?" Obviously I didn't say that, but why does this ALWAYS seem to come out during police interaction with white officers and african american individuals. I treat EVERYONE the same regardless of age, race, sex, sexual orientation, etc. Do race cards expire? Maybe this topic is too hot to talk about but I'm a little annoyed with it all.
    Last edited by JonMcD1980; 06-14-2007, 04:01 PM. Reason: spelling error

It has been the same for years. When I started in LE in the early 1960s the same things were going on. Personally, I found it easier to ignore the comments and conduct business in a professional manner. That way you should avoid confrontations and arguments. Sounds like you did your best. Just let their comments slide off you and do your work.
    Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

I once stopped a car for going about 75/35 (it's been a while) and weaving in and out of traffic, when I approached the car, the driver's first words out of his mouth were, "You stopped me because I'm black."

I'll never forget that one.
      I’ll die with blue in my veins.

Comment

I don't get it. Granted I don't know how they have been treated by other officers in the past. But I had an african american tell me after he was released after arraignment, "thanks for being so cool with me man, I appreciate it." I treated that guy with dignity and respect the same as I did the guy I started this thread on.

Comment

There's always some idiot.

Comment

Originally posted by normal1 View Post
            There's always some idiot.
            Indeed there is, like the ones that use Banned as their user title
            "Think like a man of action, act like a man of thought" ~Henri Louis Bergson

ComptonPOLICEGANGS.com

Comment

Originally posted by exComptonCop View Post
              Indeed there is, like the ones that use Banned as their user title
              Okay... just to be clear, the idiot comment was directed at the prisoner who is referenced in the first post. As opposed to you referring to me as an idiot, that's uncalled for, you don't know jack about me, so if you dont have anything good to say, dont say anything.

Comment

I guess Normal1 isn't banned 'cause he's posting. Normal1, I suggest that you not post in the Squad Room as it is for LEO's only.

Comment

Originally posted by GoldBadge View Post
                  I guess Normal1 isn't banned 'cause he's posting. Normal1, I suggest that you not post in the Squad Room as it is for LEO's only.
                  My apologies I wasn't aware. It wont happen again.

Comment

Originally posted by normal1 View Post
                    My apologies I wasn't aware. It wont happen again.

Comment

Originally posted by GoldBadge View Post
                      I suppose we'll need to find a way to make his wish come true
                      "Think like a man of action, act like a man of thought" ~Henri Louis Bergson

ComptonPOLICEGANGS.com

Comment

Originally posted by exComptonCop View Post
                        I suppose we'll need to find a way to make his wish come true
                        He can have my job in about 2 years.

Comment

As a wise and experience man once told me, as soon as those words are out of there mouth you know you've got them. They are trying to put you on the defensive and to distract you from what you are doing.
                          I miss you, Dave.
                          http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

Race Card.

Originally posted by SgtCHP View Post
                            It has been the same for years. When I started in LE in the early 1960s the same things were going on. Personally, I found it easier to ignore the comments and conduct business in a professional manner. That way you should avoid confrontations and arguments. Sounds like you did your best. Just let their comments slide off you and do your work.
                            Sgt CHP's post X-2. Comes with the territory my Friend.

Comment

Originally posted by SgtCHP View Post
                              Agreed great advice. It doesn't matter why a prisoner is being a PITA- whether he's a loud mouth drunk or name calling finger pointer. They are ALL trying to get a reaction out of you. You'll remain the professional and have the added bonus of ticking them off further by simply ignoring them and going about your duties.
                              Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The first amendment protected views/commentary/opinions/satire expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4826 users online. 295 members and 4531 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X