Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What to do, last week before retirement?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to do, last week before retirement?

Okay, after 30 years, six months, and a few days, ladies and gents, I have seven working days left until I drop from the ranks.

What did any of you make a point of doing,

or,

what would you want to do,

in your last week of service to your agency?

(all proper, nice and legal, of course! )
    "You're never fully dressed without a smile."

Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.

Three things I know for sure: (1) No bad deed goes unrewarded, (2) No good deed goes unpunished, and (3) It is entirely possible to push the most devoted, loyal and caring person beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t.

Keith M., I just want to congratulate you on a job well done Sir. You've done your time my man, now just ENJOY your new life, and do whatever the HECK you wanna do! LOL. Take care.
    Why are there so many babies on O.com? Creole, you and your buddy JPSO Recruit help me out on this one....

* "Preach always, if necessary, use words!" St Francis of Assisi

* Luke Chapter 6, Verses 27-36

Comment

Answer the phones

I recently had lunch with a retired lieutenant and he said that he asked to answer the phones his last day on the job. He said that throughout the years he had to answer some dumb calls (i.e. was that an earthquake or was that just an aftershock?) and he just wanted to give the non-politically correct responses

Comment

When I was partnered with Stacy Koon (yeah, that Stacy Koon) he had just a couple months more on the job than I did. We made a solemn promise that before we left the job, we'd work together one last time. We were going to lilsten and assess any problem a good looking woman presented to us, then say, "Ma'am, sorry but there's nothing we can do for you about this, now just show us your t--s, please, and we'll be on our way."

I guess, I won't be doing that, next week!
        "You're never fully dressed without a smile."

Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.

Three things I know for sure: (1) No bad deed goes unrewarded, (2) No good deed goes unpunished, and (3) It is entirely possible to push the most devoted, loyal and caring person beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t.

Comment

My father, who retired from the same department as you back in '90 as a Sgt. 2 from RHD, said all he wanted to do was go out and handle a few calls again in an L-car. He wrote a couple of burgs and a stolen bike report if I remember correctly, made a couple t-stops and called it a career. He said he wanted to see if he could remember what it was like "back in the day" when he was first out in University Division as a youngster.

He talked about that last shift many times up until he passed away this past
          April.
          Carpe Noctem

Comment

I always said Id sit in the sallyport at the county jail, wearing a g string and light up a doobie. Got a long way to go before that happens lol.
            Moooooooooooo, I'm a goat

Comment

i would use my last 7 sicks days.
              -Sean

Comment

I can't believe you hadn't thought this out months ago.

I have a couple of years left and during my last seven days, I'll be cleaning out my office, taking long lunches, and then sitting at my desk and smiling a lot.
                I’ll die with blue in my veins.

Comment

8 more tours to finish...locker is just about empty, one box of stuff in my desk to pack.......other than that I'm smiling all day long as I continue my regular duties. Last couple of days I expect to sit back with my feet up on the desk and relax.

Comment

When I'm that short, every time my supervisor asked me to do something, I'd look at him, smile like an imbecile, and not move.
                    I’ll die with blue in my veins.

Comment

Originally posted by JSD73 View Post
                      I always said Id sit in the sallyport at the county jail, wearing a g string and light up a doobie. Got a long way to go before that happens lol.

Kieth,

To have gone thirty plus years and risk getting taken out by a duce a day or two before pulling the pin, would worry me. If it were me, I'd just hang out at the station, in relative safety and comfort

good luck
                      "Think like a man of action, act like a man of thought" ~Henri Louis Bergson

ComptonPOLICEGANGS.com

Comment

Congrats Keith

Don't let your guard down yet!

Make sure to make your rounds and exchange info with those you choose.

And on day eight, just remember you don't have to set your alarm clock. Actually the alarm clock and days of the week mean absolutely nothing to you!

Enjoy
                        This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Comment

I was privy to a conversation last month between an Officer that was retiring after 30 years (he had five days left)and a VERY very very boot command staffer. The command staffer gave him an order and I swear to you, the guys eyes lit up and he said, "Or what...?"

I thought I would pee in my pants before I got out of that room.

Congrats on your retirement!!!!!!!!!!
                          sigpic

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Comment

Congrats!

One of the best feelings in the world is walking out the door for the last time. Then again, it is one of the worst feelings at the same time.

On your last day, if you have someone talking to you about some BS complaint, just look them dead in the eye and tell them this, "Sir, could you take a step back. I am afraid the stupidity leaking out of your mouth may cause me irreperable brain damage."

Give your highest ranking supervisor a big hug on your way out the door. You will be remembered for many years.
                            Fighting the good fight, one beer at a time.

"Defense aint for no nice people." Neamiah Warrick, first year starting Saftey, Michigan State University 2006

Comment

Opppssss sorry wrong section sorry guys I was thinking a lil far ahead myself im not a LEO...YET... sorry again

lol congrats now its time to get another job!!... something simple... be the cool bagger at your local supermarket just kidding!! Why dont u get a security job at a college or something.. Then if u have any kids they could go to that college for free and you can spend your pension on your hobbies or things you like to do... For me when I become a LEO (im praying im currently waiting to see my ranking on the list which wont come out till the end of the summer grrrrr) after i retire id sleep late stay up late and just relax my years away lol but im sure when im in my 40s or so i might have a different mind set.... But im sure you will definitely miss it.. my dad is retired from the sheriffs dept. which where i live is volunteer peace officer with police power so he was only doing that maybe a few times a month and he still misses it alot.. so i could imagine missing being a full time leo would be
                              Last edited by NYCRJmajor914; 06-14-2007, 01:03 PM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4391 users online. 309 members and 4082 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X