300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Written promotional testing

We have re-vamped our promotional testing process from an assessment center type to another form. The agency is going with a written and some other requirements.

The written testing is being purchased from IACP and it apparently comes sealed, opened on the day of testing and then mailed back to IACP for grading. The kicker is that there are 5 books from which the IACP written testing is derived.

They are:
    Criminal Investigation 8th [I]or[I] 9th edition
    Supervision of police personnel
    Police Field Operations 6th or 7th edition
    Local government police management 4th ed.
    Contemporary topics in legal procedure

No one seems to know what to study or how the testing is based and we only have two months to study all five of these books, some being over 700 pages long with most being about 350-500 pages. Pretty vague as to what is going to happen if the testing is based on words from each of these books.

Has anyone taken a recent sergeant promotional test using the IACP written testing model? And if so, could you give me an idea of where they base the questions. Are they derived from the objectives at the beginings of chapters, summaries at the end, or just random sentences throught the text of the chapters. I could use all the help I can get if anyone knows!

Thanks!
    Anarchism is a game at which the police can beat you. G B Shaw

That's a pretty heavy reading list, especially if you're expected to absorb it in under two months. Is the department providing the books for you? They price out at over $350.

Comment

Yes, but 5 are testing and there are only three copies of each book!

Comment

Check with your local library or law library. Additionally, they should be available in the local college or university libraries.
        Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

is the Supervision book Iannone?? if it is, stock up on Red Bull for when you study..that is some DRY stuff there Brother

Comment

I think I still have 80% of the answers for that test somewhere, I'll look.

Even WITH a prep class, they throw in a dozen or so 'lucky guess' questions. I got a 95 on it a few years ago.

Just remember, eyes adjust to darkness in 5-30 seconds!
            Last edited by PFL; 06-13-2007, 09:23 AM.
            What Delta said x2

Comment

Originally posted by CoolAZCop View Post
              Yes, but 5 are testing and there are only three copies of each book!
              That's doing three times better than my department. Our last test was based on a book no one had seen, much less read.

Comment

I have the books, we can check out up to three books each for seven days total. And yes, the supervision book is Iannone and it is VERY DRY! My first plan of attack is to just read the books cover to cover and then go back and go over the questions at the end of the chapters and try to answer them without the text. If I get stuck, I'll try to find the answer in the chapters.

TWO months to do all this...and we dont even know what to concentrate on studying thats why I'm hoping someone out there has taken this IACP test and might be able to steer me in the right direction.

Comment

Even if no one has the answer as to which book I should study more of, I would still like to know the basic layout of the test. Is it multiple choice, essay, fill in the blanks, or give the answer from recollection type of testing. How many questions...that kind of crap.

Comment

Concentrate on the supervision, police tactics, and crim investigation books. They put a lot of Iannone questions in there, probably 15-20 or so. those 3 books will make up a LOT of the test. I THINK they had 7 or so questions from local government and fewer (iirc) from the procedure book.

Just do the best you can. I will almost guarantee that you can read the book cover and cover and NOT absorb the information about the random questions they put on the test.

You would THINK that many of the answers on the test are common sense, well they aren't. Make sure you know the Carroll doctrine, where you should be if a suspect is fleeing from a residential or business district, and what to do if someone throws a Molotov cocktail at your vehicle (I'm not kidding.)
                    What Delta said x2

Comment

Thanks so much, at least thats a start! I'm guessing that this is going to be multiple choice and fill in the blanks then?

Comment

Not to toot my own horn, but I took 3 or 4 sgt promotionals similar to the one you have upcoming and never read anything on the reading list. I came out #1 or #2 in every one (and then bombed the oral part, hence never a promotion). I found the writtens to be EXTREMELY common sense.

Comment

Having never seen any of those books...let me give you my .02. If it's anything like the acre of trees they kill to prepare training bulletins, special orders, management papers, etc., for us, here's the clue:

If it's *bullet-pointed, bold-printed, underlined, [boxed], or otherwise highlighted to separate it from the rest of the printed text on the page, chances are, that's what they will test you on.

Good luck to you!
                          "You're never fully dressed without a smile."

Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.

Three things I know for sure: (1) No bad deed goes unrewarded, (2) No good deed goes unpunished, and (3) It is entirely possible to push the most devoted, loyal and caring person beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t.

Comment

It's ALL multiple choice.

Try to find a study group. I paid $2k for mine, but I got 85-90% of the answers, and got prepped for the oral. I did extremely well on both of those, but of course, got sunk on evaluations. I still had a high enough score to put at least 3 of the 'boys' behind me on the list.

The oral for NJ was very focused on pursuits and domestic violence.
                            What Delta said x2

Comment

Originally posted by LuvedMyMotor View Post
                              Not to toot my own horn, but I took 3 or 4 sgt promotionals similar to the one you have upcoming and never read anything on the reading list. I came out #1 or #2 in every one (and then bombed the oral part, hence never a promotion). I found the writtens to be EXTREMELY common sense.
                              I wish they were common sense, there'd be no need for a study group.
                              What Delta said x2

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5954 users online. 348 members and 5606 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X