300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I pick your brains?

Long story turned very short - dealt with a deadly force situation (handgun) without an adrenaline dump. Felt very "matter of fact" during the incident - "oh, there's a threat, take care of it, done, going home safe tonight."
    Is this unusual? Thoughts?

You can pick, I can't promise you'll find anything.

Seriously though I had one recently, it wasn't until more than 24 hours later I had my little "holy moly" moment.
    Sometimes, doing the right thing means p***ing off the bosses.

"And shepherds we shall be, for thee my lord for thee."

Originally posted by dontknowwhy
    I still think troopers and deputies who work in the middle of no where with essentially no back up are the 'men among men' of the LEO world.
    Originally posted by weinerdog2000
    as far as your social experiment, if we cant film you then you cant film us, we will arrest you for obstruction of our freedom.

Comment

It's either a result of your training or your conditioning in the field, or both. We perform like we are trained. If you've trained that scenario before, then real or not, you're prepared for it.

Same thing with conditioning. If you've actually lived that scenario a couple of times, it might not be a shock to you.

Either way, it's a good indication.
      "The majority of people are sheep. Wolves prey on the sheep. You are the sheepdog. The sheep pretend the wolf will never come, but the sheepdog lives for that day. " -Lt. Col. Grossman

"We are righteous under the law, and we are righteous under God!" -Chief T. Fleming

Comment

I agree with pf217. Sounds like your training and experience kicked in. You went home to O.com safely. Welcome home, brother.

Comment

Yep sounds like good training and conditioning. Did you dump the dude? If so you still want to be advised of a delayed reaction. Talking to a pro wouldn't hurt if that happens. It's nothing to be ashamed of or to dread. They really are there to help. A buddy of mine involved in a shooting had a bit of delayed response and the head shrinker really helped him walk through the incident and see it for how it really was.......
          Today's Quote:

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."
          Albert Einstein

Comment

Everyone handles these situations differently, not just because the "shooters" have different personalities but because the situations all differ too. One of the "problems" frequently encountered is that the officer believes he/she is expected to behave in given fashion. Don't. You did what you were required to do to meet and neutralize the threat. Although we should make every attempt to learn as much as possible from the event to better ourselves as police officers, try not to overanalyze the event or your reactions to it. I know this is much easier said than done, but over time most people will adjust to their history. If you have problems, seek professional assistance (through the department) or go to a knowledgeable coworker for advice, but if you're okay (with what happened) accept that too!
            "I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Comment

Originally posted by pulicords View Post
              One of the "problems" frequently encountered is that the officer believes he/she is expected to behave in given fashion.
              Thanks everyone - I think pulicords hit it on the head here. I believe I should have had the "OH ****!!!" response at the scene and I didn't, so I fear complacency.
              No - didn't shoot him, he was a rogue element in a situation (911 caller/neighbor who felt the need to arm himself and sit outside). If his weapon had ever been pointed directly at me, I would have shot, and probably wound up royally messed up mentally.

Thanks for listening/taking the time to respond.

Comment

Originally posted by rcs442 View Post
                Thanks everyone - I think pulicords hit it on the head here. I believe I should have had the "OH ****!!!" response at the scene and I didn't, so I fear complacency.
                No - didn't shoot him, he was a rogue element in a situation (911 caller/neighbor who felt the need to arm himself and sit outside). If his weapon had ever been pointed directly at me, I would have shot, and probably wound up royally messed up mentally.

Thanks for listening/taking the time to respond.
                Glad it turned out good for you.(and him) It is a awfully fine line we deal with at times. Good job!
                "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms. . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. . . Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Thank you.

Comment

You had the classical response that was taught in Rangemaster school.
                    If - down the road - you start thinking about it a little too much, talk to someone. Trust me on that.
                    Three Stripes beats Four Aces.
                    Retirement: You've Won the War when you're Paid to Stay at Home.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2983 users online. 169 members and 2814 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X