300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recreational Marijuana use

Wondering what stance departments in all the legal marijuana states are taking towards recreational use by sworn personnel. Our department interprets that Federal law prohibits carrying a firearm if you use marijuana, therefor we cannot smoke it. I'm curious what other departments are saying.

Originally posted by mach1dmb View Post
    Wondering what stance departments in all the legal marijuana states are taking towards recreational use by sworn personnel. Our department interprets that Federal law prohibits carrying a firearm if you use marijuana, therefor we cannot smoke it. I'm curious what other departments are saying.
    The same...

Comment

The possession & use of Marijuana is STILL illegal under Federal Law.

Therefore "recreational" use of the substance while being illegal becomes an integrity issue
      Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Same as above.

Comment

Federal law prohibits the possession and transportation of firearms and ammunition by users of marijuana. If you are a user, you no longer possess the minimum qualifications for the position.
          Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Yeah...that's not really an open-to-interpretation kinda thing.

Comment

Breaking federal law is breaking the law.
              "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

Originally posted by L-1 View Post
                Federal law prohibits the possession and transportation of firearms and ammunition by users of marijuana. If you are a user, you no longer possess the minimum qualifications for the position.
                I didn't believe you at first, because it sounds so nonsensical, but sure enough, the ATF even wrote a letter to FFL dealers about it. So technically, every person who is found to be in possession of both small amounts of weed and a gun could theoretically be charged with a federal crime. The insane lengths to which the "reefer madness" mentality abounds never fails to boggle my mind.
                Last edited by Georgetime; 05-25-2021, 02:59 PM.
                Be dangerous, and unpredictable... and make a lot of noise. - John Bush, Anthrax

Comment

Originally posted by Georgetime View Post

I didn't believe you at first, because it sounds so nonsensical, but sure enough, the ATF even wrote a letter to FFL dealers about it. So technically, every person who is found to be in possession of both small amounts of weed and a gun could theoretically be charged with a federal crime. The insane lengths to which the "reefer madness" mentality abounds never fails to boggle my mind.
                  I have seen the charge stand up in court. I don't work in the Federal System but read a lot of case law-----it gets drug users off the streets (and is often used as an incentive to roll on higher ups )
                  Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

Comment

• Aidokea
                    Aidokea commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yeah, I'm good with that...

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post

I have seen the charge stand up in court. I don't work in the Federal System but read a lot of case law-----it gets drug users off the streets (and is often used as an incentive to roll on higher ups )
                  I'm looking back at all the gun cases our federal prosecutor wouldn't take for this reason or that, and hell, literally ALL of our bad guys smoke weed. We even had a case with a felon who had a gun who was arrested for possession with intent to distribute, in which he made a recorded jail call admitting he was selling, and they refused to prosecute him.
                  Be dangerous, and unpredictable... and make a lot of noise. - John Bush, Anthrax

Comment

• Aidokea
                    Aidokea commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Weak prosecutors are not unique to the feds...

• not.in.MY.town
                    not.in.MY.town commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Aidokea It has nothing to do with being "weak". The court system is overwhelmed, and prosecutors have much bigger fish to fry.

• Iowa #1603
                    Iowa #1603 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Well don't plan on that happening in the Midwest................many of our federal prosecutors are bull dogs with rabies.

Just ask any defense attorney It helps that our 8th Circuit really likes law enforcement

wrong place....

Comment

• Aidokea
                    Aidokea commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Wrong place...
                    Last edited by Aidokea; 05-27-2021, 06:46 AM.

The feds pass lots of laws that are never enforced, just so they can be involved in a case if they want to be. Carrying a gun within 1000 feet of school property is a federal crime... so the feds can stick their nose into any school/gun case they want.
                  "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2479 users online. 122 members and 2357 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X