300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Civilians in retired patrol vehicles

What's everyone's take on civilians driving around in retired police vehicles?

For me personally, I find myself following and running the registration of most patrol vehicles I see on the road. I have had a guy who drove around my area in a CVPI. One of my fellow officers stopped him. In the car was a 4D cell maglight, Police scanner, and CB Radio. While none of this is indicative of any wrong doing, it sure made me nervous to know that he was following my wife one night. After running a criminal history and driving record I found out the guy is no stranger to LE... but on the wrong end of it. I have not seen him since the other officer stopped him. He lives several town away from where I work.

While I understand that the retired police vehicles have to be sent somewhere,( I wouldn't mind buying my Charger when it is retired) I just wish POS criminals didn't have access to them.
    Last edited by Depco164; 06-11-2007, 08:49 AM.
    Good traffic rule of thumb - Broke down people, drive broke down cars.

It seems the fanatical wannabee’s always buy whatever the local cops drive. Invariably, they claim the cars are sturdy, dependable, tested, and generally a fine automobiles. In reality, they dress them up to look like active duty police cars and enjoy the attention they draw. Eventually, that frame of mind causes most of them to cross the line.

Comment

I had a guy using one here in PA and in NC, stealing Jeep doors. He actually worked for a place that reconditioned them, and would use it to hang around dealerships at night, with scanner, and if seen, no one would be suspicious as he had the door post mounted spotlight, and antennas all over it. Criminals use them a lot.
      As far as "rights" are concerned; I look at them this way... I don't tell you what church to go to, and you don't tell me what kind of firearm I can own...

Comment

Originally posted by Ten Six View Post
        It seems the fanatical wannabee’s always buy whatever the local cops drive. Invariably, they claim the cars are sturdy, dependable, tested, and generally a fine automobiles. In reality, they dress them up to look like active duty police cars and enjoy the attention they draw. Eventually, that frame of mind causes most of them to cross the line.
        While there certainly are many instances nationwide of what you describe, by no means is it "always", "invariably", "eventually", or "most" as you describe.

If it were so, then the criminal minded would be even easier to spot in the general public as I know most of the active police cars in my area, I know the officers, deputies, and other troopers .... and I am not the least hesitant to take a second look at a tag or suspicious acting CVPI. If I even meet or see a plain white CVPI with black grille & tinted glass at whatever my tollerance level on speed is, I'll run it down and pull it as quick as I would a 1987 Dodge Omni or 2006 Lexus. Plain white CVPI with black grille & tinted glass ... could be anybody.
        Last edited by t150vsuptpr; 06-11-2007, 01:04 PM.
        "That's right man, we've got mills here that'll blow that heap of your's right off the road."

"Beautiful Daughter of the Stars."(it's my home now)

>>>>> A Time for Choosing <<<<<

Retired @ 31yr 2mo as of 0000 hrs. 01-01-10. Yeah, all in all, it was good.

Comment

Originally posted by t150vsuptpr View Post
          While there certainly are many instances nationwide of what you describe, by no means is it "always", "invariably", "eventually", or "most" as you describe.

If it were so, then the criminal minded would be even easier to spot in the general public as I know most of the active police cars in my area, I know the officers, deputies, and other troopers .... and I am not the least hesitant to take a second look at a tag or suspicious acting CVPI. If I even meet or see a plain white CVPI with black grille & tinted glass at whatever my tollerance level on speed is, I'll run it down and pull it as quick as I would a 1987 Dodge Omni or 2006 Lexus. Plain white CVPI with black grille & tinted glass ... could be anybody.
          No… I am talking about the people that put all the accouterments on the car-spot lights, computer, yellow LED deck lights, and antennas. By crossing the line I mean playing cop.

Comment

(625 ILCS 5/12‑609) (from Ch. 95 1/2, par. 12‑609)
            Sec. 12‑609.
            (b) A person may not operate on the highways of this State a vehicle bearing the equipment, markings, or other indicia of police authority, unless the vehicle is an authorized emergency vehicle as defined in Section 1‑105 of this Code.
            (d) Any police officer is authorized to seize any vehicle that is in violation of this Section and to impound that vehicle, at the owner's expense, until any equipment, markings, or other indicia of police authority have been sufficiently removed, altered, or obliterated to remove the appearance of police authority.
            (e) A person convicted of violating this Section is guilty of a petty offense and subject to a fine of not less than $500 and not more than $1,000.
            "The majority of people are sheep. Wolves prey on the sheep. You are the sheepdog. The sheep pretend the wolf will never come, but the sheepdog lives for that day. " -Lt. Col. Grossman

"We are righteous under the law, and we are righteous under God!" -Chief T. Fleming

Comment

retired cars

I know of at least one local who drives a retired crown vic with the spot light and police hub caps. I know he also has red and blue lights in his car too. Iv seen them just havnt seen the guy driving it around yet. I cant wait till I get to stop that CVPI.

We also have a couple other locals that drive retired crown vics. Some try pretty hard to make their car look like an LEO car. I can only hope that they arnt crossing the line like someone else suggested; however, I am sure it probably happens.

Comment

Several of the wanksters around my city buy old cops cars. I guess in their simple minds they think we wont bother them cause we think they are cops. The dreds, seat leaning way back and the rap music kinda gives it away though.
                I'm sorry, Bruce. These boys get that syrup in 'em, they get all antsy in their pantsy.

Comment

True story: guy in my area is driving a retired CVPI tricked out with all the antenna and wigwags and strobes. He was doing enforcement stops on people and after making them jump through hoops and giving "verbal warnings" for whatever violation they had comitted.
                  One night he stopped a guy for defective equipment. When the guy driving the car found out the whacker( do you call them whackers in other parts of the country?) was not a cop, he beat the living pi** out of him and left him in a heap by the side of the road.
                  God Never Sleeps.
                  "The only means we possess to thank them is to try to be as good an American as they were. We might fall well short of their standard, but there is honor in the effort."

Comment

There are more than a few people who drive around in Crown Vics trying to look like us. I had one who lived a few blocks from me. It seemed like every week the person would add a new antenna to make it look more "police like."

I'm not sure if anyone has seen this website. But after seeing it and reading the comments of civilians who buy and 'update' these former police cars to look more police like (i.e. add push bars, etc), you'll just shake your head....

http://www.crownvic.net/ubbthreads/u...oard=16&page=1

Comment

i drive a retired Caprice.Just yesterday I had to drive it for work for a little bit becuase my patrol unit broke down and had to get towed in and the extra cars were on transports.
                      FILL YOUR HANDS!!!

Comment

Crown vics are just popular in the hood now, heck where I work a vic with 24 inch wheels draws more attention then a brand new Ferrari.

Comment

http://www.theindychannel.com/news/13491808/detail.html

Comment

Wow.....I looked through that forum..kinda scary. These guys intentally fix and help others fix up there vics to look like a squad car....
                            You have the right to remain silent, but apparently you lack the skill to exercise that right.

Comment

That is unreal. Those people are freaks.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5536 users online. 349 members and 5187 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X