X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NYPD Experiences 75 Percent Increase In Departures And Retirement

I guess the following article says it all,

https://news.yahoo.com/nypd-experien...172356200.html

I notice Pat Lynch, Police Benevolent Association President gets a mention, good on you Pat.
    Last edited by JohnKelly; 04-26-2021, 04:57 AM.

Run you fools.... (Gandalf voice)

Comment

most of those who “quit” in 2019 were prob resignations to other departments. Could you imagine if all other departments were pumping out classes in 2020 like normal, stealing nypd guys. There was 1 Nassau class and maybe a weschester. But all other depts who were supposed to hire. Suffolk , MTA, papd, troopers ,
      county sheriffs and corrections. Wow the number would have been YUGE if it was a combination of 2020 fatigue and transfers
      Last edited by NYPDpoQNS; 04-26-2021, 08:15 AM.

Comment

Everybody steals officers from everybody else. It's been that way for many many years.

I believe this recent increase in departures is exactly what it looks like- good officers don't want to work for a department controlled by cop-hating leftist politicians...

Comment

I'd like to see how many apply for the next exam.

Comment

Yep. This happens

Comment

Originally posted by BNWS View Post
              I'd like to see how many apply for the next exam.
              A city of about 70K near me had their written testing for the year yesterday...................................... On social media they posted a photo of the group testing

About 15 total applicants
              Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

• BNWS
                BNWS commented
                Editing a comment
                I posted this in another thread. I saw a local news clip of the NYPD Chief of Patrol trying to hand out applications on a street corner. No one would take them.

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
              A city of about 70K near me had their written testing for the year yesterday...................................... On social media they posted a photo of the group testing

About 15 total applicants
              Half of whom will probably pass the test. And maybe another quarter of those will be viable candidates who will survive the rest of the hiring process. Welcome to LE hiring in 2021.

When I got out of the academy in the late 90's, the average test I took had candidate pools in the hundreds (and these were small to mid-sized cities with maybe 1-2 open positions). My department (admittedly, a city of less than 12k) is lucky to pull in 6 for a test today.
              "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
              -Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

Can’t have math in the written test. It’s racist.

Comment

I'm not a fan at all of big cities, and to work in one as a LEO is a big turnoff for me. The city I retired from grew like crazy while I was there, and if I was new, I'd not want to start a career there now. I know there are reasons for people wanting to be PDNY, but again, I wouldn't ever want to even live there let alone be a LEO there. For those who do, I understand - family tradition to just desiring .gov employment is reason enough.

For those currently on the job in NYC, the grass is a lot greener all over the US for those seeking a career in LE. With experience, most would be very marketable pretty much wherever they go. With those greener pastures calling, I can't see how there's still a functioning PDNY how I look at it.

It has already been discussed, but I'm really hoping it won't get to the point the feds start some national PD service where they fill spots needed by departments that can't fill their staffing needs. If anything, I can see the states stepping up with a state academy that staffs these lacking departments. Also, not talking about state police/trooper types, but just state certified peace officers that will go where assigned. Hope this never happens, but I can see something similar happening.

Comment

• CCCSD
                    CCCSD commented
                    Editing a comment
                    The Germans did the staffing thing...lots of sharp black uniforms replacing all the drab brown ones.

Originally posted by Bing_Oh View Post

Half of whom will probably pass the test. And maybe another quarter of those will be viable candidates who will survive the rest of the hiring process. Welcome to LE hiring in 2021.
                  That is the way it works

Originally posted by Bing_Oh View Post
                  When I got out of the academy in the late 90's, the average test I took had candidate pools in the hundreds (and these were small to mid-sized cities with maybe 1-2 open positions). My department (admittedly, a city of less than 12k) is lucky to pull in 6 for a test today.
                  Preaching to the choir
                  Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

My town of 10k has a 7 sworn department at full staffing (4 patrol, 1 SRO, 1 sergeant, 1 chief).

Until recently we had 3 patrol, 1 SRO and the chief for quite a while.

We opened a hiring cycle for the sergeant position. We got 9 applicants, 5 of which were DQed for past Brady problems. We did hire a sergeant, who is currently filling the open patrol slot.

We also recently tried to hire to fill the patrol slot. I don’t know how many total applied, but 3 made it to the oral board. Two failed that. They offered a job to the third guy, but he declined and went with another department nearby that starts at about $10k/yr more than we pay.

Recently the chief, new sergeant and SRO were all out simultaneously and the 3 patrol officers had to provide all the coverage for several weeks. Things got sketchy.

So now the town wants to hire a total of 3 more officers... one for the open authorization, two more new positions... all 3 have to have a minimum of 1 year patrol experience since we aren’t busy enough to have the volume of calls a new academy grad needs.

we had two new academy grads not work out in part because of the low call volume thing so hiring people with some experience is probably a good idea, but I don’t know who our applicant pool will be. Another town in the same county, that applicant would count as a lateral and start at about $15k/yr more than we pay, and they have a step program so in 7 years he would top out over $50k/yr more than we pay...

In the 29 months the department has been operating we’ve had 4 chiefs and 4 sergeants... a complete turnover of leadership 3 times.
                    Last edited by tanksoldier; 05-10-2021, 01:50 AM.
                    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2708 users online. 155 members and 2553 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X