300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Georgetime View Post
    As somebody who lived through the early 90s and wasn't an infant back then, it's easy to conflate OJ and Rodney, only the two biggest racialized stories in history up to that point. It has nothing to do with being "RAYCIS" and Rodney's case is an even worse comparison to make with the GF case, as in King's case the jury's decision had nothing to do with being decided due to outside influence.
    I was in my early twenties when the Rodney King and OJ Simpson trials occurred. I never "conflated" the two.

The George Floyd case involved police use of force against a citizen.

The Rodney King case involved police use of force against a citizen.

The OJ Simpson case involved a citizen using force against other citizens.

The parallels between the George Floyd case and Rodney King case are that they involved police use of force.

What is the common denominator between Rodney King and OJ Simpson? Besides race?

Comment

Originally posted by not.a.COP View Post

I never "conflated" the two.
      So when Georgetime mixed up two events from 30 years ago off the top of his head, you assume nefarious intent, but when you confuse Exbpa340 for Georgetime from 2 hours prior with their words right in front of your face, it was a completely innocent mistake? Sounds pretty hypocritical, Junior...
      Last edited by Aidokea; 04-24-2021, 08:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by moparfan View Post
        We can all agree that his action looked horrible on camera all around.

I have yet to see a use of force that looked pretty. By definition Use of FORCE means you are forcing someone to do something they don't want to do.

I go back to my law enforcement academy days..................before many people on this forum were born.

One of my classmates was a female, short of stature and maybe 100 lbs soaking wet. She challenged several of us to cuff her in practice. She fought back quite nicely and it almost always took at least 2 of us to get her cuffed. YES I could have cuffed her myself but in order to get her to comply I would have had to hurt her...........and didn't want to do that in a training scenario

Now I will go to a point where I was the shift commander inside the prison on midnight shift. The short story here was an inmate who had been involved in a UOF incident 24 hrs earlier was found laying on the floor of his cell unresponsive. That particular UOF incident involved 6 officers who almost got their rear ends handed to them by the inmate

I consulted with the nurse on duty and she verified that the inmate was breathing (we chose not to enter the cell because of his prior actions). Well the fact was roughly 8 hrs later (when a CERT team was available to enter the cell )he was still in the same position and very dead.

LONG criminal investigation cleared me and my staff of any wrong doing, internal investigation confirmed my decision NOT to enter the cell at 2 am with minimal staff. Agency was sued by inmate's relatives & a settlement was authorized by the Governor's office.

IF we would have went to court on the lawsuit , even though EVERYTHING was done correctly and according to established policy...........we probably would have lost BIG just because of the optics of the way it happened.

I know the "look on his face" came off bad on the video. But really , I have seen much worse and I have been in the place where people are amazed at what somebody had to put up with on the job and wonder how they managed...............where the answer was "It was a normal Tuesday"

I fight with myself back and forth over this incident as to if Chauvin was right/wrong in what he ACTUALLY did but I have problems with the way this trial was handled.
        Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

• Aidokea
          Aidokea commented
          Editing a comment
          Well spoken...

The public and the media don't understand the use of force and how surgical precision of it's application is practically impossible.

That said, I suspect this whole situation may have ended differently if, when Floyd stopped talking and went motionless, had Chauvin asked, "Hey man, you okay?"
        The unprepared, the surprise is greater, as is the processing of denial, the fog of confusion and chaos. The prepared and practiced always act quicker.

-Massad Ayoob

Comment

• Iowa #1603
          Iowa #1603 commented
          Editing a comment
          Agree totally

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
        ...I fight with myself back and forth over this incident as to if Chauvin was right/wrong in what he ACTUALLY did but I have problems with the way this trial was handled.
        Originally posted by Ratatatat View Post
        That said, I suspect this whole situation may have ended differently if, when Floyd stopped talking and went motionless, had Chauvin asked, "Hey man, you okay?"
        I couldn't agree more with these statements. Looking at the evidence, I think Chauvin may be guilty of manslaughter by his negligence after Floyd stopped moving. I don't think the evidence rose to the level of either of the greater murder charges.

My greater concern is whether Chauvin got a fair trial. No matter anyone's opinion on the facts of the case or his guilt or innocence, we all should be on the same page that he deserved a fair trial based upon the facts of the case and not media bias, accusations of racism, or the influence of a mob. I would feel a lot better about the verdict (no matter what it was, even if I didn't agree with it) if the change of venue had been granted, the jury had been sequestered, and the media had been limited in their access to the courtroom. The outside influences on this trial...including a literal mob outside of the courthouse and prominent political and public figures making damning statements about Chauvin's guilt...brings into doubt why the outcome was what it was.
        "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
        -Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

Originally posted by Ratatatat View Post
          The public and the media don't understand the use of force and how surgical precision of it's application is practically impossible.

I agree with you. He was convicted most likely due to things after Floyd stopped breathing.

Comment

Originally posted by scotty_appleton814 View Post

Once again. Your deflecting and failing to answer simple questions goes to show your state of mind. You can't b^ll**** a group of proud b^ll****ers without being called in it.
            ...so you don’t know that the jury wasn’t sequestered during the rioting.

...you don’t know about the political commentary heard by jurors during the trial.

...you don’t know that 3 jurors were dismissed during the trial for admitting that the city paying off Floyd’s family before a verdict was reached tended to make them believe Chavin was guilty.

...you don’t know at least one juror has admitted finding Chavin guilty in an attempt to avoid further civil unrest.
            "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

I've prosecuted cases where there was far less reasonable doubt, but where the jury still acquitted or hung. I've never seen a jury come back in 10 hours on a factually complex case that lasted 3+ weeks. I don't know what happened in the jury room, but I highly doubt that they went through all the state evidence, the defense cross-examination, the defense case, and then matched that up to the jury instructions. As a former prosecutor and public defender, there's no way I could have meaningful done all those things in that amount of time.

If the defendant was anyone else, there would be widespread calls for a new trial based on the procedural irregularities in the case -- especially the venue not being moved, the jury being allowed to view social media, not being sequestered, and the Rep. Waters statements.

Comment

I have to wonder if he was actually "convicted" for the deaths of Adam Toledo, Makhia Bryant, and/or any other violent felon that radicalized leftists perceive as fitting their formulated narrative...

Comment

Originally posted by Winter_Patriot View Post
                  I've prosecuted cases where there was far less reasonable doubt, but where the jury still acquitted or hung. I've never seen a jury come back in 10 hours on a factually complex case that lasted 3+ weeks. I don't know what happened in the jury room, but I highly doubt that they went through all the state evidence, the defense cross-examination, the defense case, and then matched that up to the jury instructions. As a former prosecutor and public defender, there's no way I could have meaningful done all those things in that amount of time.

If the defendant was anyone else, there would be widespread calls for a new trial based on the procedural irregularities in the case -- especially the venue not being moved, the jury being allowed to view social media, not being sequestered, and the Rep. Waters statements.
                  ^^^^^^^ This
                  Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Welp if this doesn't help with his appeal https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...062955641.html

"Ellison also admitted that he did not expect Chauvin to be found guilty, saying that he was unsure of the outcome up until the time the verdicts were read"

I'd rather be judged by 12 rather carried by 6.

It should be noted that any and all post that are made are based on my own thought and opinions. And are not related or implied to represent the department I work for.

Comment

Originally posted by moparfan View Post
                      Welp if this doesn't help with his appeal https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...062955641.html

"Ellison also admitted that he did not expect Chauvin to be found guilty, saying that he was unsure of the outcome up until the time the verdicts were read"
                      How does that help his appeal?

Comment

• moparfan
                        moparfan commented
                        Editing a comment
                        It will help show there was doubt even within the prosecution. He said he didn't think there was enough evidence. Yes grant it it's up to the jury to decide a person's fate. But in the end it's up to the courts to decide if there is enough for a re-trial.

It is being reported that juror #52 is Brandon Mitchell.
                      - A relative of Brandon Mitchell posted a picture in August of 2020 stating “the next generation being socially active” that included Mitchell wearing a BLM hat and shirt. The shirt also said “get your knee off our necks”
                      - He claimed during the jury selection that he had very little knowledge of the case. Seems difficult to believe especially for a BLM activist/supporter.
                      - He has been hitting the media circuit now and has made some comments that are downright alarming. In an interview with Erica Cambell he stated “I mean it’s important if we wanna see some change, we wanna see some things going different, we gotta into these avenues, get into these rooms to try to spark some change. Jury duty is one of those things”

Jury duty shouldn’t be about “sparking some change”. If the reporting is correct then this is another example of how “fair” of a trial he received.

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                      This gallery has 1 photos.
                      “Right now I'm having amnesia and déjà vu at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before.” - Steven Wright

US Army MP (95B) 1992-1997
                      DOJ Agent/ DHS Officer 1997 to Present

Comment

Originally posted by Exbpa340 View Post
                        It is being reported that juror #52 is Brandon Mitchell.
                        - A relative of Brandon Mitchell posted a picture in August of 2020 stating “the next generation being socially active” that included Mitchell wearing a BLM hat and shirt. The shirt also said “get your knee off our necks”
                        - He claimed during the jury selection that he had very little knowledge of the case. Seems difficult to believe especially for a BLM activist/supporter.
                        - He has been hitting the media circuit now and has made some comments that are downright alarming. In an interview with Erica Cambell he stated “I mean it’s important if we wanna see some change, we wanna see some things going different, we gotta into these avenues, get into these rooms to try to spark some change. Jury duty is one of those things”

Jury duty shouldn’t be about “sparking some change”. If the reporting is correct then this is another example of how “fair” of a trial he received.
                        After Chauvin gets his job back, I wonder if he'll ever have Mitchell in custody...

Comment

Chauvin's never going to get his job back.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2712 users online. 154 members and 2558 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X