Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone here leaving NYPD?- 5 1/2 years on and going back into Accounting

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Anyone here leaving NYPD?- 5 1/2 years on and going back into Accounting

    Hi everyone, I'm new to the forums here. Just a little background: I'm 29 years old and just made 5 1/2 years with the NYPD. Prior to the job I worked as a forensic auditor for 1 1/2 years. I have a bachelor's degree in accounting. Anyone here have an accounting background? I have reached out to my college and have set up an advisement appointment with an advisor from my business school to weigh some options and assess the current job market.

    For various reasons, over the past 1-2 years I have gradually become more dissatisfied with this job. I have worked and still work in some of the toughest areas of the city and in the beginning I thoroughly enjoyed it, but I feel the job has only been getting worse by the minute. The job has only become more and more restrictive and the morale is non existent. I am fortunate enough to work on a team with great people and a great supervisor but as a whole I feel that the leadership on this job is pathetic. Also, I feel the quality in regards to hiring has been decreasing with each class (people becoming cops just for a city job, paycheck, and benefits with no interest/desire in what it takes to be a real law enforcement professional) Anyone else here leaving or considering leaving the NYPD? and Why? Just curious as to what others are thinking for the future of this department and other major PDs across the country.

    Thanks

  • #2
    Originally posted by jfmarshall1 View Post
    Hi everyone, I'm new to the forums here. Just a little background: I'm 29 years old and just made 5 1/2 years with the NYPD. Prior to the job I worked as a forensic auditor for 1 1/2 years. I have a bachelor's degree in accounting. Anyone here have an accounting background? I have reached out to my college and have set up an advisement appointment with an advisor from my business school to weigh some options and assess the current job market.

    For various reasons, over the past 1-2 years I have gradually become more dissatisfied with this job. I have worked and still work in some of the toughest areas of the city and in the beginning I thoroughly enjoyed it, but I feel the job has only been getting worse by the minute. The job has only become more and more restrictive and the morale is non existent. I am fortunate enough to work on a team with great people and a great supervisor but as a whole I feel that the leadership on this job is pathetic. Also, I feel the quality in regards to hiring has been decreasing with each class (people becoming cops just for a city job, paycheck, and benefits with no interest/desire in what it takes to be a real law enforcement professional) Anyone else here leaving or considering leaving the NYPD? and Why? Just curious as to what others are thinking for the future of this department and other major PDs across the country.

    Thanks
    Thousands of cops are leaving the profession.

    Most retired cops are glad they are retired.
    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

    My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

    Comment


    • #3
      The “JOB” is dead! Has been for many years now. I’ve been out since ‘08, after 30 years OTJ. I, as well as those before me could NEVER do the job as we were trained. We’d be on the 6 and 11 o’clock news and probably in cuffs...FOR WHAT AND HOW WE WERE TRAINED!

      There are places in this country that still respect and appreciate their police. If you like the profession, I would try to lateral to another agency. You’ll probably make more $ in the long run. If that doesn’t work out fall back on your accounting skill set. Good Luck brother, I feel for ya.

      Retired and Outta NYS....
      Hey Kidd, I've got more time On Meal than you have "On the Job"

      Comment


      • #4
        Your background is what the Feds look for.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by CCCSD View Post
          Your background is what the Feds look for.
          Yes I’ve considered going 1811 in the past but at this stage in my life because of family I couldn’t sign a mobility agreement and have to face the possibility of being moved around

          Comment


          • #6
            It isn’t the case that every 1811 job will require you to sign a mobility agreement. Many more might require the mobility agreement but never exercise it. ICE/HSI hires many folks right into the NY office and they spend their entire careers there. The agency doesn’t force move anyone unless they promote. FBI has an ongoing need for agents in NY and you are virtually certain to get that office if you list it as #1 on your dream sheet. Again, they won’t force a move on you (unless you really mess up). Many OIGs also hire directly into their offices in NY and moving people away is unheard of.

            Comment


            • #7
              I can't blame you one bit. New York is definitely not the place to be a cop anymore. I used to be a cop in Maryland. I have many friends who are looking elsewhere for careers. I am in Las Vegas now. It's not nearly as bad as other cities and I'm hoping it stays that way. Good luck in your next chapter.

              Comment


              • #8
                This IS just a job. And a paycheck to support my family. The sooner you, and new cops learn that, the better off you'll be. 23 years ago, plenty of smoke was blown up my *** about this being a "chosen" profession, a true calling. I've been on patrol and on the administration side of this job. This job will suck and take more out of you than it will ever give back. Thankfully, you're only a few years in. Get out, get back to a job where the public doesn't hate you and your fellow officers stab you in the back.
                Why are there so many babies on O.com? Creole, you and your buddy JPSO Recruit help me out on this one....

                * "Preach always, if necessary, use words!" St Francis of Assisi

                * Luke Chapter 6, Verses 27-36

                Comment


                • #9
                  I would sign a mobility agreement to work on Mars to get out of the current NYPD.. but I'm already gone.
                  good luck.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by towncop View Post
                    This IS just a job. And a paycheck to support my family. The sooner you, and new cops learn that, the better off you'll be. 23 years ago, plenty of smoke was blown up my *** about this being a "chosen" profession, a true calling. I've been on patrol and on the administration side of this job. This job will suck and take more out of you than it will ever give back. Thankfully, you're only a few years in. Get out, get back to a job where the public doesn't hate you and your fellow officers stab you in the back.
                    Based on some of your arrogance, it’s no wonder you got stabbed in the back so frequently by your “fellow officers”...

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by jfmarshall1 View Post
                      Hi everyone, I'm new to the forums here. Just a little background: I'm 29 years old and just made 5 1/2 years with the NYPD. Prior to the job I worked as a forensic auditor for 1 1/2 years. I have a bachelor's degree in accounting. Anyone here have an accounting background? I have reached out to my college and have set up an advisement appointment with an advisor from my business school to weigh some options and assess the current job market.

                      For various reasons, over the past 1-2 years I have gradually become more dissatisfied with this job. I have worked and still work in some of the toughest areas of the city and in the beginning I thoroughly enjoyed it, but I feel the job has only been getting worse by the minute. The job has only become more and more restrictive and the morale is non existent. I am fortunate enough to work on a team with great people and a great supervisor but as a whole I feel that the leadership on this job is pathetic. Also, I feel the quality in regards to hiring has been decreasing with each class (people becoming cops just for a city job, paycheck, and benefits with no interest/desire in what it takes to be a real law enforcement professional) Anyone else here leaving or considering leaving the NYPD? and Why? Just curious as to what others are thinking for the future of this department and other major PDs across the country.

                      Thanks
                      I don't blame you at all, and even if you choose to leave the profession entirely, I would still consider you a brother, and I suspect that others would too...

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by towncop View Post
                        This IS just a job. And a paycheck to support my family. The sooner you, and new cops learn that, the better off you'll be. 23 years ago, plenty of smoke was blown up my *** about this being a "chosen" profession, a true calling. I've been on patrol and on the administration side of this job. This job will suck and take more out of you than it will ever give back. Thankfully, you're only a few years in. Get out, get back to a job where the public doesn't hate you and your fellow officers stab you in the back.
                        It IS a calling, and the job doesn't suck- it is the radical leftist political influences on the job that suck...

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          With your background I’d look into the IRS’s CID.
                          "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

                          "With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by towncop View Post
                            This IS just a job. And a paycheck to support my family. The sooner you, and new cops learn that, the better off you'll be. 23 years ago, plenty of smoke was blown up my *** about this being a "chosen" profession, a true calling. I've been on patrol and on the administration side of this job. This job will suck and take more out of you than it will ever give back. Thankfully, you're only a few years in. Get out, get back to a job where the public doesn't hate you and your fellow officers stab you in the back.
                            I think I work with you...
                            "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

                            "With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by CCCSD View Post

                              Based on some of your arrogance, it’s no wonder you got stabbed in the back so frequently by your “fellow officers”...
                              I'd say you're the pot calling the kettle black.
                              Last edited by towncop; 04-12-2021, 10:30 PM.
                              Why are there so many babies on O.com? Creole, you and your buddy JPSO Recruit help me out on this one....

                              * "Preach always, if necessary, use words!" St Francis of Assisi

                              * Luke Chapter 6, Verses 27-36

                              Comment

                              MR300x250 Tablet

                              Collapse

                              What's Going On

                              Collapse

                              There are currently 3415 users online. 196 members and 3219 guests.

                              Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

                              Welcome Ad

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X