300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possibly the 1st of many.... Armed Public Safety Workers

Read this article WTF....https://www.police1.com/police-admin...55yJ4Mu4ehpR3/
    I'd rather be judged by 12 rather carried by 6.

It should be noted that any and all post that are made are based on my own thought and opinions. And are not related or implied to represent the department I work for.

Eff that noise.

It is a GREAT time to be a retired police officer- I highly recommend it.

Let them eat each other in their "sanctuary cities" with their taxpayer-funded medically supervised opiate injection facilities, sidewalk pooping, and downtown tent cities...

Comment

I was watching my local news last night. The thirty-something hipster mayor of one city (a progressive college town of 200,000) announced his big new solution: the police will hire social workers to respond to non-violent calls. His plan: dispatchers will have a flow chart in front of them and will decide who to dispatch depending on what every caller says. There will be fewer police officers, but that's not a big deal because they will only be called for violent situations.

(I see this working for about a week, or until the first mental emergency person tries to gouge the eyeballs out of a social worker who is interrupting his drug-induced psychosis).

These type of stories used to make my blood pressure pop up a few ticks but after a year of living like Anne Frank, where I haven't seen anyone or gone anywhere, not only have I adjusted to the isolation, I kind of enjoy it. So go ahead laddie replace a few cops with social workers because I haven't been to your city in a year and I have no plans to visit after this pandemic goes away here soon....
      If it is all beautiful you can’t believe it. Things aren’t that way.

-Ernest Hemingway

Comment

• Ratatatat
        Ratatatat commented
        Editing a comment
        I've pretty much come to the conclusion we are heading towards the South African model of policing, which intentionally underfunds the police and as a result, has a murder rate 5X the US rate, and people with means hire armed response companies to respond to emergencies.

• CCCSD
        CCCSD commented
        Editing a comment
        Necklacing will come into style. Invest in Kidde.

I’m already forming a PAGAD unit.

Never been to a suicide call but a coworker went to one that turned hairy.

The guy was a frequent flyer in regards to mental health calls. He was on all kinds of meds and constantly complained about us treating him poorly because he was *gasp* a homosexual.

Well one morning before my shift he decided today is the day. My buddies get called to his place of residence where he is actively slashing away at his wrists, high on something.

Took 3 rides of the taser to get him to drop the knife. Rushed to the ER, and from what I was told, was mother****ing the cops along the way.

Miracle he survived. I don't know what happened to him after that but I'm sure he will try again. Hopefully he got involed and is getting help somewhere.

But yeah, Mr. progressive mayor or community activist, by all means, send some 20 something Psychology major to one of these calls. It's only a matter of time before someone gets seriously hurt.

Insanity.

Comment

• Aidokea
        Aidokea commented
        Editing a comment
        I hope you guys staged your use of force- I hope multiple officers were ready to instantly use deadly force to protect the officer with the Taser. The subject was already using deadly force on himself, and could have redirected it towards you guys in the blink of an eye. That's what makes less lethal so very dangerous in situations like that.

• Saluki89
        Saluki89 commented
        Editing a comment
        I wasn't there for this. But you're right. These situations can change from suicidal to officer safety issue in the blink of an eye.

Why take him? No public safety issue...
      Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

The suicidal, if no one else was in the building, we wouldn’t have entered.

...and if available we would have called a psych co-responder, but we would have talked to him on the phone or thru a door... and might have simply left if no one else was in danger.

The co-responders we work with are the sorts of people they are talking about sending to these calls... and no one of them would go without a cop going first.
        Last edited by tanksoldier; 03-25-2021, 03:42 PM.
        "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

• moparfan
          moparfan commented
          Editing a comment
          Same here, if the person is inside alone, we are done. No crime in harming yourself period. Plus not worth the BS going in saving someone. We have a pysch nurse and deputy teamed up. They going to our mental health calls if monitor the channel or we have to request them through there desk. It's what most departments are going to. Said part is most of the time we have 2 at the most 3 of those teams available to handle our mental health calls. But they cover well over 1800square miles, 1300 miles are 2 stations. But for patrol we still write the incident report. They just transport to the hospital and do follow up on the person as well as write the hold. Kinda BS because I still gotta write.

I hated those calls anyway. Have at it.

Comment

Ask the coppers with 30yrs on and they say they never experienced to respond to half the calls we do today when they first got on. Why because cities dumped those onto PD some FD. NOW we are to blame. Instead of investing from the get go and following through along with citizens hold politicians accountable it's the Pads fault for not knowing how to handle someone dinging out. We have to got to the training and sit there. When most of us signed up to put guys in jail for CRIMES. it's all going to blow up anyways.
          I'd rather be judged by 12 rather carried by 6.

It should be noted that any and all post that are made are based on my own thought and opinions. And are not related or implied to represent the department I work for.

Comment

People call 911 basically because they have a problem they can't or don't want to handle. Many of those problems are people not wanting to play with others in a nice and caring manner for whatever the reason. All of us popo here know exactly how seemingly innocuous calls turn to poop in no time, and that's exactly what's going to happen with the use of these unarmed 'officers' at calls for service. I think over time, that dispatcher flowchart will narrow down to where armed officers will be the norm again.

This is another problem I have with this great idea. Currently, officers respond to calls for service which range from the highest to the lowest stress levels. With this new system, armed officers will only be responding to high stress level calls. Yes, in theory, there would be fewer calls for service since some of the workload is divided between the armed and unarmed officers, but still, if you are called it means someone with a gun is needed.

Also, I watched the Alaska State Troopers series, and I was surprised the natives have those unarmed community officers up there. Until then, I've never heard of American officers without firearms. I'm sure they handle most of their community's problems, but the community's similar demographics and their remote locations allow for that system to work...until it doesn't where a trooper has to step in.

Comment

• moparfan
              moparfan commented
              Editing a comment
              You bring up a good point with Alaska State troopers, those Public Safety Officers, PSO's handle all the same calls without a firearm and with weeks between a trooper stopping by. Look at how many are assaulted, or plain just quite working. And those are in villages of what maybe less than 200 hundred. What's going to happen in cities with thousands??? The law makers are always a joke. We are all just pawns to them

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4835 users online. 257 members and 4578 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X