300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Crushed" 8 Point Hats

Our department wears the traditional 8 point hats, similiar to what New York PD wears. We are allowed to "crush" the hats if we want to. This seems to usually be accomplished by removing the wire within the hat and pinning down the sides. What other methods do other officers use to "crush" these sorts of hats. Photos would be helpful.

Lucky you!! Remove the hat band.....should do it. (SFPD style also) We HAVE to keep the hat band in. We refer to them as bus driver hats.

If you have to have it in your cruiser. Shove it between the headrest and the cage on the passenger side.
    This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Comment

Any photos of what the its supposed to look like after its formed correctly? Mine looks kind of odd without the hat band in it.

Comment

''Life's tough......it's tougher if you're stupid.''
        -- John Wayne

Comment

I know those hats are tradition for agencies in other states, but do you guys actually like wearing them in patrol? I personally think they're an officer safety issue. If u have to keep putting it on and taking it off, in and out the car, isn't that a distraction?
          "Disco's Out, Murder's In" -Man, ain't that the truth!

Comment

You do know you can order crushed hats.
            I don't answer recruitment messages....

Comment

my eight point lives in the trunk until it rains..
              "I am... reminded of something Cardinal Wolsey once told me. That I should only ever tell the king what he ought to do, not what he could do; for if the lion knows his own strength, no man could control him". Sir Thomas More

Comment

Why would one want a crushed hat? I've seen them before on COPS and don't think they look all that "cool". Is there a reason i'm missin?
                "If it's predictable, it's preventable"

Comment

I could be wrong but I believe they are also refered to as a "50 mission cap". Back in WWII the veteran pilots who completed 50 missions would have each end of the caps droop. Showed they were veterans.

I have achieved the effect on my work cover by leaving it in the back seat and forgetting to remove it before I put my arrestee's back there. Yea. Makes command real happy.
                  Last edited by pujolsfan146; 06-08-2007, 07:53 AM.
                  Prov 17:17 A friend loveth at all times, and a brother is born for adversity.

Comment

Originally posted by So Fla Cop
                    Just ask any NYPD or Philly highway cop...

In Philly you can add in K-9,narcotics and Temple university police to the crushed hat syndrome.
                    I don't answer recruitment messages....

Comment

Well there seems to have been much discussion on the wearing of hats but few answers to the original question of this thread.

Comment

Most cops in my dept remove the hat band. I do know of one who used pins to pin the sides, but he looks like a Storm Trooper from WWII whenever he wears it. I have two hats...one with the band removed for those "mandatory events" which require hats and the other (brand new) with the band in for funerals.

Comment

Thank God we don't wear hats although they are issued as a "here have a hat" kind of thing. That is the most clear and concise reason why I'll never be a state trooper. I hate wearing any type of headgear. It makes me terribly hot in all weather(repressed ventilation), I get a headache no matter how loose it is, and the bill restricts my upper, peripheral vision. I also feel dumb wearing one.

Comment

I miss my 8 point "50 missions crush" style hat. But since I started shaving my head, I'd look more like a member of the Village People than a deputy.

Comment

We don't wear them, but I'm assuming you mean this:

Attached Files
                              Originally posted by kontemplerande
                              Without Germany, you would not have won World War 2.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9697 users online. 411 members and 9286 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X