300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Employee recognition displays

At our station we have a nice large plaque in our hallway that is intended to recognize "employees of the quarter." There is a place for a 8" X 10" photo along with smaller brass plates for engraving the names of the employees being recognized. Sometime in mid-2001, it just stops...no names have been added since then, and half the display is blank. It's not that they name employees of the quarter, and not add them to the plaque, they never ask us for nominations.

At our Academy, there's a display for instructors/employees of the quarter...and the names and photos currently on display are for the 2nd quarter of last year, 2006.

At our headquarters building, in the lobby, there are three large plaques, with 8" X 10" photo displays honoring the three senior sworn, civilian, and reserve members of the department. The awards were given once, six+ years ago...they haven't been updated since they were first put up.

I have to wonder just what management is thinking. What message do our employees take away from acts of omission like I've described? What message would you take away from seeing something like that?

Any similar stories out there in your workplace? Do tell!
    "You're never fully dressed without a smile."

Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.

Three things I know for sure: (1) No bad deed goes unrewarded, (2) No good deed goes unpunished, and (3) It is entirely possible to push the most devoted, loyal and caring person beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t.

The only recognition we ever get is negative. I can't remember the last time we got a 'nice job' or 'keep up the good work' comment. They'd rather focus on BS details, something like so-and-so used too many flares to block off the highway while the lights were out.

Even when we do something 99.9% right, they will find that .01% and harp on it until your ears bleed, yet it doesn't matter that you picked up the bad guy through your own sweat.
    What Delta said x2

Comment

Employee Recognition Displays

Originally posted by Kieth M. View Post
      At our station we have a nice large plaque in our hallway that is intended to recognize "employees of the quarter." There is a place for a 8" X 10" photo along with smaller brass plates for engraving the names of the employees being recognized. Sometime in mid-2001, it just stops...no names have been added since then, and half the display is blank. It's not that they name employees of the quarter, and not add them to the plaque, they never ask us for nominations.

At our Academy, there's a display for instructors/employees of the quarter...and the names and photos currently on display are for the 2nd quarter of last year, 2006.

At our headquarters building, in the lobby, there are three large plaques, with 8" X 10" photo displays honoring the three senior sworn, civilian, and reserve members of the department. The awards were given once, six+ years ago...they haven't been updated since they were first put up.

I have to wonder just what management is thinking. What message do our employees take away from acts of omission like I've described? What message would you take away from seeing something like that?

Any similar stories out there in your workplace? Do tell!
      I'm a firm believer in the "Praise in Public" school of thought. Recognition of the type Keith describes are proven morale boosters. If, however, management no longer wants to continue an employee recognition program, that is management's call. If that decision is made, then I personally feel that any plaques, etc should be removed. Bottom line. Continue the program, or do away with it entirely. Those are merely my thoughts.

Comment

I got a coffee mug.....

Comment

Originally posted by Scott941 View Post
          I got a coffee mug.....
          Yeah, guess that counts.

Comment

Originally posted by PhilipCal View Post
            I'm a firm believer in the "Praise in Public" school of thought. Recognition of the type Keith describes are proven morale boosters. If, however, management no longer wants to continue an employee recognition program, that is management's call. If that decision is made, then I personally feel that any plaques, etc should be removed. Bottom line. Continue the program, or do away with it entirely. Those are merely my thoughts.
            Agreed. Leaving these plaques up without keeping up to date on them seems to say that none of our current employees deserved to be recognized.

Our department had the sergeant exam a few years ago. There were a few available slots for promotion. Not one single deputy got promoted. That created a lot of bad blood.

Just when the tribe settled down the promotion exam for sergeant has been offered again. I think there are a few deputies putting on war paint as I type. Gonna be a whole lot of drama around our department now.
            Prov 17:17 A friend loveth at all times, and a brother is born for adversity.

Comment

Same thing at my station 20 years ago. We had a four foot tall wooden badge with the brass name plates of fallen officers. I noticed several officer's names were not on the board. Completely unacceptable.

Since I was a night shift officer, and all those important decisions are made by day shift folks, I called our police union and inquired who to call to have the missing name plates made. My expense, and I would put them in the proper place on the board.

When my union guy heard my request, he went nuts. The next morning, the day shift lieutenant chewed me out for going outside the division. Apparently, it was his responsibility and he let it slide. Unacceptable.

In the end, the names were added (within 2 days) and the plaque has been immediately updated ever since.

Moral of this story - Everyone is a leader. Everyone is responsible. Step up to the plate and do the right thing for the right reason and you will be remembered for just that.

The employee of the month is a bit differant, but I bet if a stink were raised, it would be corrected.

Be safe and hug your family every day. Hug your partner if you can. If not, a cup of coffee will do nicely.

Comment

My dept. operates on the "Attaboy" system.Every time you do something right you get one attaboy,after you accumulate 1 million attaboys you get a well deserved pat on the back.The only drawback is if you get one "Aw shoot" you lose all of your attaboys!
                Sleeping Giant. They're not fat and happy anymore. They are hungry and increasingly angry. That is not a good recipe for a "Puppies and Rainbows America".

Comment

Our department has a wood plaque hanging up in the entrance to hq. It has officer of the year, quarter, etc. They haven't added a name since 1995.
                  "Do you hear that, Mr. Anderson? That is the sound of inevitability."

"What you know you can't explain, but you feel it. You've felt it your entire life, that there's something wrong with the world. You don't know what it is, but it's there..."

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6100 users online. 365 members and 5735 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X