300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you pursue a stolen car?

Our department, 120 officers and metro of 150,000 in the upper midwest, has heated debates at briefing about pursuing stolen vehicles. Our policy basically states in order to pursue:
    -A violent crime must have been committed
    -The subject must be attempting to escape
    -The subject will endanger lives or inflict great bodily injury if not taken into custody
    (Basically Graham v. Connor)

It seems the younger officer want to pursue any and everyone.
    I don't see it that way. Especially if you are in the pursuit alone. They usually flee on foot and/or fight. (I am a K9 handler so that is not a huge problem...yet)

The other issue is when someone is involved in a pursuit the civillian car usually is destroyed or loses much of it's value.

Just wondering what the concensus is out there

Pursuits have been a hot topic here for some time. I believe we should chase anyone that runs. I've been in alot of pursuits and from my experience, there is usually another reason why they are running. A simple fail to yield usually has a strap in the car or just committed a armed robbery or drive-by. We don't know until we catch them. G-rides are stolen alot of the time to caper. They're just not joy riding. You'll get alot of different opinions here about this topic.

Comment

Originally posted by Five-0fromSoCal View Post
      I believe we should chase anyone that runs.
      Agree
      "If it's predictable, it's preventable"

Comment

Very few things in life compare with the thrill of getting a little hi low. Consequently, few things are as dangerous, and can affect so many people in a relatively short period of time. That being said, I'm certain there aren't any agencies out there with a "will pursue" policy. Any LEO can call off their own pursuit anytime they choose.

One thing I learned about chasing G's...a stolen car today, will still be a stolen car tomorrow
        "Think like a man of action, act like a man of thought" ~Henri Louis Bergson

ComptonPOLICEGANGS.com

Comment

Chases

Originally posted by Five-0fromSoCal View Post
          Pursuits have been a hot topic here for some time. I believe we should chase anyone that runs. I've been in alot of pursuits and from my experience, there is usually another reason why they are running. A simple fail to yield usually has a strap in the car or just committed a armed robbery or drive-by. We don't know until we catch them. G-rides are stolen alot of the time to caper. They're just not joy riding. You'll get alot of different opinions here about this topic.
          I agree to an extent. I think we should chase if conditions permit. If its rush hour traffic, or if its clear that it is dangerous for the general public for an officer to continue the pursuit then by all means I think it should to be called off. That being said I think it is silly to call off a chase at 3am with no traffic. (Which happens to me on a regular basis it seems - 4 in the last 2 months) Basically common sense needs to be used.

Just my two cents.

Comment

While I understand the basic concept of someone running has probably done something wrong, my issue is that when it comes down to brass facts, it's a car. Granted, it's a stolen car, but the potential damage, injury, or death to innocent civilians is just not worth someone's car (of which will probably be damaged in the pursuit anyway). Yes, you'd send a message in your community that the local LE will track you down no matter what, but I dont necessarily feel that that's a realistic approach. In the very end...once it's all said and done, you might be the cop that has to live with the death of an innocent and quite frankly, I don't want that mental pain the rest of my life...not over someone's personal property.
            sigpic

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Comment

While the chase will give you a woody, I came across (no pun intended) a rolling stolen the other night on a Caddy with the plates coming back to a Chevy. Well, I followed them into the hood and blacked out and sat in the dark and watched them. I know where they keep it and I know who is driving it and at about which time they feel the bravest to drive the strip. I'm coming up on a weekend tour and will have that at the top of my list. I figure if I make them feel comfortable by NOT pulling them over at first, they will make more appearances on the strip. It's an old (89) Caddy so there isn't that much value left in it. I could give a crap about the car, but the prize is a driver behind bars. They looked young and could probaby out-run my old butt, but like the old timer said to the rookie...."Instead of running down there and skrewing one of them cows, why don't we just WALK down there and skrew them all??"

Sometimes patience pays off, like someone else said "It will still be stolen tomorrow".
              I am a Native American of non-Indian decent.

Cleaning the pool, one gene at a time.

I'm on a 30 day diet. So far I've lost 15 days!

Comment

I believe we should be able to chase, and those that run in a vehicle and endanger others should be hammered. On the other hand, the guy I see with a tag light out that I try to stop and he doesn't cause he's revoked, he runs and hits a kid on a bike, or an old lady going to church...not worth it to me.
                Again, stolen today will be stolen tomorrow. I also believe in Officer discretion, 2-3 in the morning, no one around, go get em. But our agency is very restrictive in chasing.

Comment

Originally posted by exComptonCop View Post
                  One thing I learned about chasing G's...a stolen car today, will still be a stolen car tomorrow
                  If you don't catch it today.

Or find it unoccupied tomorrow. In which case you probably have a new stolen in the neighborhood.

Comment

We can't chase sht!

Though getting into a chase is a load of fun, you really have to use your head and determine if the "what ifs" are worth catching the guy. I HATE letting people get away, but it's better than me getting hurt.
                    What Delta said x2

Comment

Originally posted by kcr View Post
                      If you don't catch it today.

Or find it unoccupied tomorrow. In which case you probably have a new stolen in the neighborhood.
                      Thought provoking indeed...may I quote you
                      "Think like a man of action, act like a man of thought" ~Henri Louis Bergson

ComptonPOLICEGANGS.com

Comment

Originally posted by Tunkle View Post
                        While the chase will give you a woody

seriously? Ok. Maybe Freud was right...
                        sigpic

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Comment

If conditions permit we run'em to the ground.
                          Sometimes, doing the right thing means p***ing off the bosses.

"And shepherds we shall be, for thee my lord for thee."

Originally posted by dontknowwhy
                          I still think troopers and deputies who work in the middle of no where with essentially no back up are the 'men among men' of the LEO world.
                          Originally posted by weinerdog2000
                          as far as your social experiment, if we cant film you then you cant film us, we will arrest you for obstruction of our freedom.

Comment

Wait until you've been sued a couple of times and see how your pursuit policy changes.

Comment

When we stop pursuing, they will know about it. When they know about it, they commit more crime. When more crime happens, the police get swamped. When we get swamped, then crime REALLY takes off. Our department is behind the power curve just because of this police. Until we, as a society, decide to defeat crime, it will be the end of us.
                              Space for rent .........

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5251 users online. 266 members and 4985 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X