300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• retired in December

Hey guys....just introducing myself....retired as an 1811 at age 50 with 25 years 6c federal service in December 2020. Great career (overall), no regrets. Now I gotta decide what I want to do when I grow up.

Probably gonna take 90 days "off" then maybe find something to do. Luckily, financially, credit cards and cars are all paid off, and mama works, so I may not even return to a full time job.

Anyway, thanks for having me on the forum. Any retirement transition advice is welcome. I don't miss the admin stuff and reports, TDYs, etc., but it indeed feels different being retired. Not bad, just different.

Welcome to Club UTB!

I'm ahead of you by a few moons. There is a bit of a transition ahead for you, not bad, just change of life stuff....

All the things I thought I'd be doing (travel, eating at new restaurants, sporting events, concerts, seeing friends, etc) have, for covid reasons, not happened.

There were a few home improvement projects early on which kept me busy. Repainted the house, fixed a sump pump drainage problem, and stripped and stained the dining room table. House is in tip top shape now so nothing further in that regard.

Did spend plenty of time in my deer blind last fall. Been enjoying venison dinners a couple times a week since.

Other than being the errand runner for wife and kids, and an occasional part-time firearms instructor, it's mostly chill time. Surf the net. Watch gun and prepper videos on youtube. Write another long rambling post at O.com. Get a daily workout in. Do the crossword. Make dinner. Pour a hearty glass of pinot noir and watch Man Vs. Food or Gold Rush.

There have been a couple attempts at employment. One job for a private security company doing surveillance (workman comp fraud). No firearms allowed on duty, per company policy (although other employees told me they 'unofficially' carried). Assignments were in the 'hood, where people frequently get shot sitting in their cars, for no reason. I quit after two weeks. It was beautiful.

I interviewed for a customer service manager job at a local defense manufacturer after someone I know there encouraged me to apply. I knew the starting pay was $60K but asked to start at $80K, thinking they would meet me at $70K. I was wrong and they hired someone else at $60K. I shed no tears.

I've applied for a couple other jobs, like courtroom security and CJ instructor at a local community college. Neither led to a job offer. I suspect there are many others with similar backgrounds in the candidate pool and maybe even with stronger backgrounds, like a master's degree. It's a competitive world out there.

Every time I go to my local grocery store, they ask if I'd be interested in working the customer service counter. No thanks.

Two retired 1811 buddies are working armed transport in the cannabis industry. Five years ago, they would've taken down a couple of guys driving around with 9mms, bags of dope, and stacks of money at gun point. Now, they are *those guys*.

I'm too grouchy to work with customers. I'm too old to dig ditches. I'm too proud to work for low pay. I'm too aware of the irony to run dope and dope money.

Maybe something ideal will magically appear on the horizon someday. Maybe not and I'll just be a little bored the rest of my life. I'm cool with either.

My blood pressure was 110 over 70 this morning. It was never that low during the last ten years of my career.

Never having to work again is a beautiful thing. Working because you want to, instead of needing to, is also a beautiful thing.

Good luck!

PS- one thing I neglected to address with all the admin stuff as I left was state taxes on my annuity. I figured they'd be taken out automatically, or wouldn't be much since it's an annuity. Well, Holy Hell was I in for a big surprise when I did my 2020 taxes last week. So you may want to look into how you have things set up with OPM as far as state tax deductions or you also may be in for a big surprise...
    Quickness is the essence of war.

-Sun Tzu

Comment

Originally posted by retired-1042 View Post
      Hey guys....just introducing myself....retired as an 1811 at age 50 with 25 years 6c federal service in December 2020. Great career (overall), no regrets. Now I gotta decide what I want to do when I grow up.

Probably gonna take 90 days "off" then maybe find something to do. Luckily, financially, credit cards and cars are all paid off, and mama works, so I may not even return to a full time job.

Anyway, thanks for having me on the forum. Any retirement transition advice is welcome. I don't miss the admin stuff and reports, TDYs, etc., but it indeed feels different being retired. Not bad, just different.
      Please enjoy retirement buddy.......

Comment

10 yrs ahead of you from a state Corrections career, leaving as a senor supervisor. I came out totally debt free & with a damned good pension check every month. I don't need to work except to keep the wife from shooting me.

32 yrs in uniform I never wanted to see one again..........................looked but didn't see anything really tripping my trigger

Took a job working for an armored car company..........................lasted 10 days

5 months later fell l into a civilian job with our local sheriff's office doing prisoner transport & court security. I had been a deputy at another county before I started at the penitentiary so I hit the job running & now administer a crew of mostly retired LEO's and CO's. Al part time & basically make our own schedules

Like Rat stated above watch your taxes...............i got hit the first year also

Welcome to the club

PS.......now working on my 43rd year in a LE uniform
        Last edited by Iowa #1603; 02-05-2021, 07:59 PM.
        My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

I retired from the US Army in 2006.

The cop job is just to keep busy... I’ll probably retire again in about 3-4 years, at 55-ish.

I’m on high blood pressure meds fort he first time ever, so maybe I’ll retire sooner than later.

I can buy some of my Army time into the second retirement, giving me two decent checks and Tricare...
          Last edited by tanksoldier; 02-07-2021, 04:38 AM.
          "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

• scotty_appleton814
            scotty_appleton814 commented
            Editing a comment
            Well played sir. I have a friend who got medically retired from the army. 90 percent VA rated. And retired with 28 years of police work. He has a $100k retirement. He is my idol.

Retirement rocks!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4698 users online. 316 members and 4382 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X