Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USMS fugitive task force

Looking for some
    info from any that is on or has been on a US Marshals fugitive task force as a special deputy. My agency was approached a while back by our local deputy marshal about putting 2 people on the task force for our area. Myself and another officer submitted our paperwork and got approved and were set to be sworn in but now our mayor and city attorney are giving the run around on it over liability. If we have a uof incident while on task force business or were to get hurt who would cover the liability the marshals service or the city? The marshal said that we would be covered by hisnagency but someone with the League of cities which our city insurance is through says that it falls back on us. Just looking for some insight on this from anyone that has experienced this. Thanks in advance.

Ask the USMS for a MOU they use. Every local/state agency on a federal task force will have a memorandum of understanding (MOU), this should cover everything from equipment, use of force, overtime costs...etc.

Comment

We have that and it is what has caused the hold up from the mayor and attorney due to some
      wording In it.

Comment

Have you read the MOU? It should clearly state who is responsible. I believe that all of our MOUs state that the home agency is responsible for their own property and health insurance issues that may arise.

Comment

Excellent detail.

Comment

It sounds like your overlords just don't want you all playing with the Marshals, for whatever reason.

Comment

Do what you can to jump through the hoops, dot all of the i's and cross all of the t's to make it happen. I was a warrants officer going after felons every day with my partner, but those guys alway had at least 7 anytime they hit a place. They also had better resources. We had two guys from our office assigned to them, and they loved that duty. I would see the team almost every day since we shared a small booking paperwork holding cell area, and I would ask for assistance on finding someone or referred high level warrants to them that suited them every now and then. Again, do what you can to get on the team!

Comment

Originally posted by angeredmgmt View Post
                Do what you can to jump through the hoops, dot all of the i's and cross all of the t's to make it happen. I was a warrants officer going after felons every day with my partner, but those guys alway had at least 7 anytime they hit a place. They also had better resources. We had two guys from our office assigned to them, and they loved that duty. I would see the team almost every day since we shared a small booking paperwork holding cell area, and I would ask for assistance on finding someone or referred high level warrants to them that suited them every now and then. Again, do what you can to get on the team!
                ^ THIS. When I was a detective I was deputized as a Special Deputy Marshal as part of our regional task force for about 8 years, but I wasn't a "full-timer" TFO, I'd go out with them on cases my agency generated and any time they needed to go after a fugitive who was in our general area. It's nice to be able to call 'em up and get their help, which is world class. There is nowhere your suspects can run that they will not go. Their Technical Operations Group is AMAZING. As far as the MOU between agencies, I never saw it, but my Chief was more than happy to do it. We used to roll up to a house with about 15 guys most times, the least we ever had was about 8. As long as you abide by your department's policies I don't see what the problem would be, but that's lawyers for you.
                Be dangerous, and unpredictable... and make a lot of noise. - John Bush, Anthrax

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6832 users online. 352 members and 6480 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X