300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Handcuff sanitation

Hey guys, got a question. I arrested an elderly man today for a sexual assault warrant and as he exited my unit, his arm scaraped against my door and his arm began to bleed pretty badly. Alot of blood dripped along his arm and onto my handcuffs. I took him to the hospital to get him cleaned and cleared.
    My question is how does everyone get their handcuffs sanitized? I was thinking of pouring rubbing alcohol on them, but not sure if that would damage the inside of the cuffs. Thanks.
    "Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called Sons of God - Matthew 5:9

i have actualy cleaned a set just like the dishes with soap and water with no rust or anything as a result. of course that wont kill bloodborn pathogens or what not. it was a qualit set of cuffs, i have another set that has rusted from sitting around, so i guess it depends on your cuffs. i cant imagine alcohal hurting them. i would probably blow them out with an air compressor afterwards just to be safe though, then add some graphite.

Comment

I always used hand sanitizer....or if it was something really nasty......soak them in a small bucket of hot water with a capfull of bleach.....and that does the trick quite nicely.....as that's what the local EMS guys/gals used to clean out the back of the rig....bleach/water......

Comment

Being a police officer and an EMT, I can tell you, use bleach. Take a bucket of water, pour in a little bit of bleach, and then dunk your cuffs in and out. The swishing action gets the water into the area around the key hole and such. Also make sure your cuffs are open that way if there is any blood in the teeth it will come off also. If it is caked on and dried, use an old toothbrush to clean it. Just make sure you wear latex gloves so the bleach doesnt eat at your hands.
        Last edited by ACC703; 06-03-2007, 12:41 AM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

Our jail maintains a supply of an industrial anti-cootie spray that kills just about everything. Not sure what its called, but I spray down the cuffs after every arrest. Not so much for the next customer, but because I dont that nasty stuff hanging out on my belt.
          Originally posted by kontemplerande
          Without Germany, you would not have won World War 2.

Comment

Peerless Hancuff Company recommends specific products and procedures on its website.

Comment

We keep a spray bottle of bleach/water mix sitting around. Great for cuffs, backseats of crusiers, or anything else that might get bodily slimes on it.
              "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
              -Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

I will agree Bleach will kill it all
                I would rather be judged by twelve then carried by six!

Never let down your guard! You are #1

Comment

Wear rubber gloves whenever you can when handling "customers" and we use hand sanitizer to wipe down the cuffs and an oiling now and then (should anyway) will keep them from rusting.
                  law dog

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4579 users online. 303 members and 4276 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X