300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Intentionally left blank
    Last edited by GoldBadge; 06-14-2007, 02:25 PM.
    I’ll die with blue in my veins.

Comment

Originally posted by lawhog View Post
      The point is, he was speeding and got caught. Period.
      Yes he did and he absolutely deserves to be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

Comment

Yeah, Medal of Honor winners should get a pass at minor traffic infractions, regardless of their attitudes. Few of us have seen so many of our brothers lives get snuffed out while serving our country. Yeah, it would have to be pretty serious for me to screw with this guy.I'm thick skinned enough to handle an attitude from a war hero, aren't you?
        Jerry
        "If all else fails, stop using all else!"

Comment

Hmmm.... some people just need to pull their ASP outta their butt, and show some respect...
          Who you calling twig pigs? we prefer tree police thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by GoldBadge View Post
            Yes he did and he absolutely deserves to be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.
            Oh, now I get it, your right and everyone who has a differing opinion is wrong.

Did you ever work as a patrol officer, or just in the fed?
            Fighting the good fight, one beer at a time.

"Defense aint for no nice people." Neamiah Warrick, first year starting Saftey, Michigan State University 2006

Comment

It might be asking too much for those who have no appreciation for MOH winners to research it a little. Read some of the citations and ask yourself (privately of course) if you would have performed in a similar way. Also, it might be good to remember that there are only 123 living MOH winners alive today. Discretion is easy. So is saluting and going on your way. Geez! Speeding of all things....
              Jerry
              "If all else fails, stop using all else!"

Comment

Oh, now I get it, your right and everyone who has a differing opinion is wrong.
                No, you expressed your opinion and you're entitled to it, and I to mine. I don't see his speeding violation as such a hazardous traffic infraction that warranted a citation and I would have let him go especially during Memorial Day weekend. I also used to routinely only warn (any Joe Blow citizen) on Christmas Day for traffic violations. That's how I used my discretion.

Did you ever work as a patrol officer, or just in the fed?
                Four and a half years as a uniformed city police officer.

Comment

You've got to be kidding me! The officer needed that summons that bad?
                  Short of a felony, The MOH recipient gets a " Thank you for your service,sir." from me. I don't need that summons that bad.
                  What was this officer thinking?
                  Was the MOH weaving badly, endangering others,going 10-8 on the officer?
                  Come on!!!
                  Keep your head down!

Comment

One other thing: If not backed up on some stupid call, I would have asked the MOH if I could have bought him a coffee!!!
                    Keep your head down!

Comment

I hate to stereotype, but from what I've seen since I've been here and stories I've heard from others, it seems that southern cops have less respect for their own than in the north.

I consider a CMOH recipient to be one of my own, just as I would another LEO.

But I've heard all these horror stories about other cops and their families being ticketed in the south. A co-workers wife was cited in NC recently for not moving into the left lane when she approached a police officer doing a traffic stop. Apparently it's a law in NC but how the hell do you know if you're not from there? Here's the kicker: the vehicle she was driving had FOP tags. Does anybody live by any kind of code anymore?

I recently stopped an elderly guy and his wife for speeding. He was going at a pretty good clip. When he pulled his license I saw something that said Federal Bureau of Investigation in his credit card slots. I asked him if he was an agent and he humbly replied, "well I WAS and agent, I'm retired." I asked if I could see his ID card and he was indeed an retiree. He went to hand me his license and I said "that's ok sir, that's enough for me, please just watch your speed." He seemed surprised that he would deserve any courtesy but I just walked away.

I'm sorry, but short of a serious felony committed in my presence I'm not citing a person who puts his life on the line to defend our community. There are enough other a-holes around here to deal with.

Comment

Originally posted by The Centurion View Post
                        I hate to stereotype, but
                        You're going to just the same ...
                        from what I've seen since I've been here and stories I've heard from others, it seems that southern cops have less respect for their own than in the north.
                        ... and so you did.
                        I hate to stereotype too, but (tit for tat) my opinion might be that you'll find fewer southern cops willfully, and even flagrantly, violating the laws of their neighboring jurisdictions and other states than northern cops because they hold a higher level of respect for their own laws, fellow LEOs enforcing same, and the citizens writing the checks ...
                        ... and in turn they expect more from them northern cops than the northern cops do themselves.

"When in Rome" as I heard one say, so do that mean I can "hammer down" when I visit up north , but just slow down when down south of the Ohio or Potomac and west of the Mississippi (as I see it) .... and all would be "OK" ???

Don't worry, I won't try it.

I consider a CMOH recipient to be one of my own, just as I would another LEO.
                        OK (no doubt included so as to not be accused of being "off topic" I guess).

But I've heard all these horror stories about other cops and their families being ticketed in the south. A co-workers wife was cited in NC recently for not moving into the left lane when she approached a police officer doing a traffic stop. Apparently it's a law in NC but how the hell do you know if you're not from there? Here's the kicker: the vehicle she was driving had FOP tags. Does anybody live by any kind of code anymore?
                        Real "horror story" you got there sport!

I believe N.C. is one state that has posted the law to which you refer (I could be wrong though). As far as I know Va. hasn't posted it yet and it's a peave of mine and I don't enforce it for that reason, as it just as easily could be the wife of a school teacher or trucker that doesn't know, but like I said .... I believe N.C. does post it. Why would you (assuming it's posted, assuming you write it) enforce it on the general public and just look the other way as those all around watch a car (so clearly as you say) marked FOP violate it then? Where's her "code"?
                        She think maybe it's safer for her to peal the decals off his car than Joe Blow Salesman?

I'm sorry, but short of a serious felony committed in my presence I'm not citing a person who puts his life on the line to defend our community. There are enough other a-holes around here to deal with.
                        How about a minor felony?

Suppose it's a serious one, like MURDER ... but it was committed around the corner, out of sight and you come upon it and find dead body, smoking bullet hole, and off duty LEO holding smoking gun, and the vic was his soon to be ex anyway? Not in your presence, you let him slide too?

I thought not.

Take care ...........

(ps ..... and Arlington, Va. is "in the South" boy, we ain't ceded it out to no one yet!)
                        Last edited by t150vsuptpr; 08-19-2007, 12:01 PM.
                        "That's right man, we've got mills here that'll blow that heap of your's right off the road."

"Beautiful Daughter of the Stars."(it's my home now)

>>>>> A Time for Choosing <<<<<

Retired @ 31yr 2mo as of 0000 hrs. 01-01-10. Yeah, all in all, it was good.

Comment

On the surface, the officer can be described in one word....TOOL! For Christ's sake, an 82 year old MOH winner? He SHOULD have noticed the tag, and a good cop would have and then eventually had the intelligence to ASK if the driver was the recipient of the medal. Total tool....bet he would like the cop that pulls him over to notice or ask about his badge and ID when he displays it.

Comment

Originally posted by t150vsuptpr View Post
                            You're going to just the same ...
                            ... and so you did.
                            I hate to stereotype too, but (tit for tat) my opinion might be that you'll find fewer southern cops willfully, and even flagrantly, violating the laws of their neighboring jurisdictions and other states than northern cops because they hold a higher level of respect for their own laws, fellow LEOs enforcing same, and the citizens writing the checks ...
                            ... and in turn they expect more from them northern cops than the northern cops do themselves.

"When in Rome" as I heard one say, so do that mean I can "hammer down" when I visit up north , but just slow down when down south of the Ohio or Potomac and west of the Mississippi (as I see it) .... and all would be "OK" ???

Don't worry, I won't try it.

OK (no doubt included so as to not be accused of being "off topic" I guess).

Real "horror story" you got there sport!

I believe N.C. is one state that has posted the law to which you refer (I could be wrong though). As far as I know Va. hasn't posted it yet and it's a peave of mine and I don't enforce it for that reason, as it just as easily could be the wife of a school teacher or trucker that doesn't know, but like I said .... I believe N.C. does post it. Why would you (assuming it's posted, assuming you write it) enforce it on the general public and just look the other way as those all around watch a car (so clearly as you say) marked FOP violate it then? Where's her "code"?
                            She think maybe it's safer for her to peal the decals off his car than Joe Blow Salesman?

How about a minor felony?

Suppose it's a serious one, like MURDER ... but it was committed around the corner, out of sight and you come upon it and find dead body, smoking bullet hole, and off duty LEO holding smoking gun, and the vic was his soon to be ex anyway? Not in your presence, you let him slide too?

I thought not.

Take care ...........

(ps ..... and Arlington, Va. is "in the South" boy, we ain't ceded it out to no one yet!)
                            Apparently merely posting your own opinions about how you handle situations is not enough for you here on this board, you also find the need to become confrontational and adversarial while doing it. Ok, I'll bite. But your reply reveals you as defensive and contentious. Maybe you took something in my post personally, even though there are no personally directed insults at anyone. Maybe you're just a typical web hog who finds comfort in engaging people on web boards. Or MAYBE you just like "talking down" to people because it makes your sorry butt feel better. Yeah, I think that might be it. Who knows. But here are my replies.

1) I'm not FROM Virgina. People do move. You're pretty presumptuous for someone who comes off as robocop. By the way, I'm not a boy or your son, so save those comments for people you know.

2) I stipulated "short of" a SERIOUS felony because that's what I meant. So I don't know what all that babble is about.

3) Yes, I defer to giving courtesy to certain people for certain violations. That's my CODE and I live by it. Why? Because the "general public" you mention does not place their life on the line to keep our community safe. Because the general public doesn't come bail me out of a jam when I'm into something over my head. Although, I do also give benefit of the doubt to almost any 'reasonably' acting person, depending on the offense, especially when it comes to traffic issues. If it were a situation with someone from out-of-state and with an obscure statute the benefit would probably go to anyone. However, the wife of a cop would seal the deal and the benefit would be automatic, short of her being a total you-know-what. And when someone is a total you-know-what, then all bets are off, cops included. But a man who doesn't at least try to take care of his own isn't a real man, in my opinion. Just my opinion, of course.

4) You've made it evident from your incessant 'parsing' of every last word in my post, that you just MIGHT be one of those _______'s who writes other cops for minor traffic infractions. If so, you'd probably write your own mother too. I feel much more confident in living by my code, despite its inherent human failing to recognize complete and indistinguishable equality, than by yours which could be performed equally by Mr Spock. I assure you, your methods are nothing to be boastful about. But it is your right to be as you are. I'm part of a brotherhood. You are obviously a one-man show. Bravo! (By the way, if you have EVER received ANY type of courtesy for ANY type of wrongdoing, criminal or otherwise, intentionally or unintentionally, or received ANY type of discount, waiver, or privilege based on your occupation (yeah even a half price coffee) you're also a complete and utter hypocrite. But I don't expect you to offer much by way of admission in that regard )
                            Last edited by The Centurion; 08-19-2007, 08:39 PM.

Comment

I don't pull over cars with specialty tags like Purple Heart or the such.
                              ****ing off Liberals
                              Even on drugs, Rush Limbaugh is right.

Comment

Centurion, I didn't need any replies, and had it not been for the "I hate to stereotype" comment, I probably wouldn't have given your post a second look.... or comment. Had I made such an outright statement stereotyping northern cops as you did, I would have been roasted no doubt. I did describe how I might would look at it differently, but in actual practice, I don't see much difference. It just irks me when someone tries to cast southern officers in a negative light for simply doing their job or looking at things in a different light.

As to your giving a free pass on violations, that's fine, I do it to when called for.

The phrase "but short of a serious felony committed in my presence I'm not citing a person who ... etc. " is pretty definative, how is one to knowm that it's not what you meant to say?

I don't know where you are from, just what was in your profile and you were throwing off on southern LEOs in general as if it was somewhere else and I was just making it clear that it includes where you say you are at, that's all.
                                I'm not a boy or your son, so save those comments for people you know.

Guess maybe I touched a nerve there ... sorry 'bout that. Boy isn't a bad word down this way, it's sort of a term one uses for those whom they like or have no particular dislike for, also used in "Good ole boy".

Have a nice.....
                                Last edited by t150vsuptpr; 08-19-2007, 11:42 PM.
                                "That's right man, we've got mills here that'll blow that heap of your's right off the road."

"Beautiful Daughter of the Stars."(it's my home now)

>>>>> A Time for Choosing <<<<<

Retired @ 31yr 2mo as of 0000 hrs. 01-01-10. Yeah, all in all, it was good.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4163 users online. 292 members and 3871 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X