Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sort of along the same topic...what was it, a couple of years ago, before he died, Major Joe Foss a WWII Ace was detained at the airport by TSA when the MOH he was carrying/wearing set off the screener alarm. The TSA Screener didn't know who Foss was (perhaps, understandable ), didn't realize what the MOH was (a little hard to undertsand ), but detained him while they tried to figure out the mystery of whether the MOH had weapon applications (absolutely ludacris ).
    "You're never fully dressed without a smile."

Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.

Three things I know for sure: (1) No bad deed goes unrewarded, (2) No good deed goes unpunished, and (3) It is entirely possible to push the most devoted, loyal and caring person beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t.

Comment

You read my mind. Shame how distinguished veterans are treated in this country.
      Ken
      http://www.homeofheroes.com/news/arc...0100_foss.html

Comment

I don't think I would care how cranky or upset he was...man he's 82 years old...if I live that long I'll be cranky then as well.

Not only would I not ticket him, I'd probably ask to take a picture with him.
        RIP Sgt. Henry Prendes...EOW 2/1/06
        RIP Off. James Manor...EOW 5/7/09
        RIP Ofc. Milburn "Millie" Beitel...EOW 10/7/09
        RIP Ofc. Trevor Nettleton...EOW 11/19/09
        RIP Ofc. Daniel Leach...EOW 11/21/09

Comment

Originally posted by t150vsuptpr View Post
          It appears that the gentleman pre paid the fine and costs the day after the summons was issued as indicated by the "waived" on said date. Appearantly he wasn't too upset, probably just glad to be able to pay a traffic fine as he no doubt felt he might not see another sunrise on that long ago date.

It appears there are a lot of officers who like to play favorites with their own favorite classes and stick it to whomever doesn't fit. We live in a society which has shifted from one which placed great emphasis on persional responsability (no doubt the MOH winner was of this cut) to one of "what's in it for me and mine?". If he is honarable, he'll understand that he did what he did on that long past day simply to survive and maybe help his buddies do likewise, not to enjoy a life of priveledge. There are many thousands of men who did as much or more and who were never recognized for it.

I'ld have paid the ticket too ... and been pleased to still be looking at sunrises in 2007.
          I'm glad to see you would have paid for the ticket because in your world, there is no discretion for cops. You speed, you get a ticket. Period. Right?

What difference did it make that he paid it the next day? That fact provides absolutely no insight as to how upset he may or may not have been.

I'm glad to see that most posters see something wrong in what was done to this war hero.
          I’ll die with blue in my veins.

Comment

Originally posted by GoldBadge View Post
            I'm glad to see you would have paid for the ticket because in your world, there is no discretion for cops. You speed, you get a ticket. Period.
            And your post shows a limited comprehension on your part. Since I don't think exactly like you, I must be totally opposite you as you see it. I have no problem with one giving breaks, I even do it myself far too often I think. BUT ... every break or summons I give is a decision I MAKE, using MY DISCRETION. I expect no less of you.

Right?
            Wrong. I'm not out there to punish. I'm not out there to reward. I'm out there to promote highway safety and to enforce the criminal laws of the state. In my world, discretion belongs to the officer making the decision, not you, and not I ... but to the one making the decision.

What difference did it make that he paid it the next day? That fact provides absolutely no insight as to how upset he may or may not have been.
            Only one's I see upset are some on this site. Who said the guy was upset?

If he was upset though, by what right is he upset? He is old enough and experienced enough to know the rules of the road.

I'm glad to see that most posters see something wrong in
            You think I'm affected by what the majority of vocal posters here think or write ... or maybe that I should be? I don't think so. Sounds like you want this board to be a democracy. It's not you know.

what was done to this war hero.
            If the story is true, he got a speeding ticket at the age of 82. I am sure in his life's experience, that's not such a big deal. He is a hero, there are thousands of them. You think he's the first to ever get a speeding ticket?

I have lived long enough and seen enough to have a pretty fair handle on what is right and what is wrong, and I only follow a crowd when it's going the right way. Right and wrong are not decided by a democracy, they are what they are. A democracy only decides if a society or group is going to do the right thing, or wrong thing based on the majority of those present. Democracy is simply a pretty word for mob rule if you think about it ... which is why we live in a republic, not a democracy. While certainly a democratic form of government, it is not a true democracy. The founding fathers knew the shortfalls of a true democracy.

Stay safe ...........
            "That's right man, we've got mills here that'll blow that heap of your's right off the road."

"Beautiful Daughter of the Stars."(it's my home now)

>>>>> A Time for Choosing <<<<<

Retired @ 31yr 2mo as of 0000 hrs. 01-01-10. Yeah, all in all, it was good.

Comment

And your post shows a limited comprehension on your part. Since I don't think exactly like you, I must be totally opposite you as you see it. I have no problem with one giving breaks, I even do it myself far too often I think. BUT ... every break or summons I give is a decision I MAKE, using MY DISCRETION. I expect no less of you.
              Excuse my limited comprehension in your quest to promote highway safety.

Yes discretion belongs to the officer making the decision, but in writing the MOH, the officer didn't appear to use much discretion.

Who said the guy was upset?
              Your quote, "It appears that the gentleman pre paid the fine and costs the day after the summons was issued as indicated by the "waived" on said date. Appearantly he wasn't too upset"

You think I'm affected by what the majority of vocal posters here think or write ... or maybe that I should be? I don't think so. Sounds like you want this board to be a democracy. It's not you know.
              Gee, I didn't know that. I guess maybe we can just call it a forum where people put in their two cents on everything from hand sanitizers to carrying a back-up gun in your underwear.

If the story is true, he got a speeding ticket at the age of 82. I am sure in his life's experience, that's not such a big deal. He is a hero, there are thousands of them. You think he's the first to ever get a speeding ticket?
              You're missing the point.

Right and wrong are not decided by a democracy, they are what they are. A democracy only decides if a society or group is going to do the right thing, or wrong thing based on the majority of those present. Democracy is simply a pretty word for mob rule if you think about it ... which is why we live in a republic, not a democracy. While certainly a democratic form of government, it is not a true democracy. The founding fathers knew the shortfalls of a true democracy.
              Thanks for the lesson in democracy. I don't know what possessed you to get into that.

Stay safe ...........
              You too ... I hope your pen runs out of ink ...

Comment

Aww come on! were back on this subject again?!
                I Peter 2:13 “Submit yourselves to every ordinance of man for the Lord's sake: whether it be to the king, as supreme; (14) Or unto governors, as unto them that are sent by him for the punishment of evildoers, and for the praise of them that do well.” Visit 10-4 Ministries

Comment

My father is 85 years old and a WWII combat infantryman who was awarded
                  a Silver Star, a Bronze Star and Purple Heart with two clusters. I mentioned
                  this matter to him and he said that people from "his generation" were raised
                  with accountability and took responsibility for their actions. Dad has been
                  ticketed for speeding over the years and learned from his errors which made
                  him a safer driver and my mom a safer passenger. His last remark to me about
                  this topic was, "You tell your cop buddies that us old guys did a job sixty
                  years ago but that doesn't mean the world owes us a living."

Comment

Originally posted by SpectraTAC View Post
                    "You tell your cop buddies that us old guys did a job sixty years ago but that doesn't mean the world owes us a living."
                    We do owe (in my opinion) a debt of gratitude and if that means looking away for a minor traffic violation, I'd be happy to do it.

Comment

Yeah, for the most part, I cut vets slack...when they let me.

Like was said a bit earlier, every morning we get up, we don't say "Hiel Hitler," nor do we get up and face the Pacific Ocean, bowing to the Emporer of Japan's portrait, thanks to men like Sgt. Currey.

For the first time, in many years, I think too of Miss Gwynn, my freshman year English teacher. Ms. Gwynn was a WAC pilot. She never married as she lost her beau in WWII.

The men and women of that era, who served, outshine and outclass many young people today, whose main pupose in life is the pursuit of the next thrill, or piercing, or body art, or implant.

One day at a local park, I spottted an older man getting into his car, which bore a bumper sticker identifying him as one of the "Chosin Few," a survivor of the USMC's battle in the Korean War. I made it a point to stop and ask if I could shake his hand. I was honored to do so.

Vietnam Vets were either spat on, or ignored. I am ashamed that was so. Many Vietnam Vets gave me no ability to practice my discretion, by their actions. I took no pride in their booking.

Gulf War Vets seem to get better treatment, these days, as the left can somewhat seperate the people who do the job, from the people who send them.

Perhaps, when we're old and dying in our beds, we'll give thanks to the men and women who serve today, and give thanks we'll lie under a Cross, or Star of David, or no religeous symbol at all, if we so choose, as those who call themselves servants of Mohammed were turned back, or stamped out, by those people who served, rather than by those who merely consumed and let others do the unpleasant chores of protecting freedom.
                      "You're never fully dressed without a smile."

Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.

Three things I know for sure: (1) No bad deed goes unrewarded, (2) No good deed goes unpunished, and (3) It is entirely possible to push the most devoted, loyal and caring person beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t.

Comment

Maybe it is beacuse I was a MP, but I don't have a problem writing a service member. Do I make a habit of it?, No. But I do not lose any sleep over it.

Comment

Someone please tell me it ain't so!
                          Give me a break.

"I would of at least expected a little courtesy on Memorial Day Weekend, but I guess not. I guess the Officer was a real ***, and when Mr. Currey asked him if he saw the plate and knew what it meant, the Officer replied, 'Doesn't mean a thing.' I made a few calls, apparently this Officer does does not have the greatest reputation."
                          Yes, the man is a hero. But, two things;
                          1) So, because he was a medal winner it exempts him from following the laws? And, it is clear he expected to be given a free pass by his statements.
                          2) His last sentence tells me all I need to know about this guy. Being a medal winner does not mean that you are automatically a good person. It just means that you once did something very brave.

Edit;
                          You know, the more I think about it, the more it sounds like he started this encounter with "Did you see my license plate?" Which is actually just another form of, "Do you know who I am?"

Had he pulled that crap on me, I might have written him too. (But I was not there, so I am just thinking out loud.)
                          Last edited by lawhog; 06-14-2007, 01:29 PM.
                          Fighting the good fight, one beer at a time.

"Defense aint for no nice people." Neamiah Warrick, first year starting Saftey, Michigan State University 2006

Comment

Thanks for the lesson in democracy. I don't know what possessed you to get into that.
                            He is one of those guys who likes to see his post more than 500 words, or he feels inadequate.

"Defense aint for no nice people." Neamiah Warrick, first year starting Saftey, Michigan State University 2006

Comment

Originally posted by lawhog View Post
                              Yes, the man is a hero. But, two things;
                              1) So, because he was a medal winner it exempts him from following the laws?

You know, the more I think about it, the more it sounds like he started this encounter with "Did you see my license plate?" Which is actually just another form of, "Do you know who I am?"
                              Give me a break.

He was driving 71/55. Probably 50% of motorists on that stretch of I-95 go at least that fast.

Your speculation about the encounter is just that.

Comment

Give me a break.

He was driving 71/55. Probably 50% of motorists on that stretch of I-95 go at least that fast.

Your speculation about the encounter is just that.
                                Oh, thanks for sharing.

So telling the officer, "Did you see my plate?" is not tantamount to trying to get out of the ticket? And, exactly who did he call to ascertain the officer has a poor reputation? And, how exactly does an officers reputation for giving out tickets make the citation less valid?

The point is, he was speeding and got caught. Period.
                                Last edited by lawhog; 06-14-2007, 01:53 PM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2807 users online. 130 members and 2677 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X