300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by barr151 View Post
    How many people here can tell me, how many M.O.H. recipients there are? How about how many are still a live?
    According the the Congressional Medal of Honor Society....

In total, 3,463 medals have been awarded to 3,444 different people. Nineteen men received a second award: 14 of these received two separate Medals for two separate actions, and five received both the Navy and the Army Medals of Honor for the same action.

110 Living Recipients as of April 26th, 2007
    World War II - 35
    Korea - 14
    Vietnam - 61

http://www.cmohs.org/medal.htm

Comment

If we can't cut some slack for those 110 courageous men, there truly is something really wrong in this country.

Comment

Originally posted by Dinosaur32 View Post
        If we can't cut some slack for those 110 courageous men, there truly is something really wrong in this country.
        Of course the law is the law and we must enforce it equally and without any discretion. Otherwise we'll have a world of chaos; motorist failing to signal every vehicle movement, vehicles traveling 1-2 miles above the speed limit, school children not walking in a straight line, people walking in grassy areas - you get the picture. And man did that MOH winner have a lead foot, he was going sixteen (16) miles per hour above the speed limit.

I'm glad we have some very conscientious officers out there.

Please note there is some very heavy sarcasm in this post.
        I’ll die with blue in my veins.

Comment

Originally posted by GoldBadge View Post
          Bearcat, I saw the other thread after I started mine.

All I'm saying is that I hope it's not true. I worked the street many years and never found it necessary to cite a cop or a war hero.
          I don't write active military or vets no matter what and I try to do everything in my power to not arrest them if something more than a traffic violation occurs. I've gotten attitude from many older folks, not just vets. It's got something to do with how they were brought up versus the current generations. There is something about "respect your elders" that most people these days have no clue what it means.

Many seniors and even some baby boomer era people think that because they are old enough to be your parent or granparent that you (LE included) owe them the respect of not saying anything to them about their actions. For those of you 35 and older, when you were a kid would you ever talk back to your parents or tell them that something they were doing was wrong? I know I wouldn't.

I have had an old timer or two get beligerant with me... I chalk it up to the way their world was/is and let it go... There are plenty of young punks who need the attention more than the old timers.

Originally posted by SpectraTAC View Post
          "Doesn't mean a thing!"

Yes, it does mean something and should never be repudiated as having
          a lesser meaning than the officer doing his job. I don't fault the officer
          for issuing the citation, but he could have been more discreet with his
          response. He's required to exhibit exceptional sensitivity to a person of
          color when enforcing the law, so why not convey the same empathy to
          a senior citizen who is also a war hero?
          I have met many police officers who do not know what Survior Of The Shield plates are and I find that to be outrageous.

The comment by the officer reaffirms my often disliked idea that ALL police academies should be military style physical and mental beatings... many many many guys who are on the road right now would have quit on day 1 if R. Lee Ermey was jumping them for everything they did from the minute they pulled in the parkinglot (Boohoo... someone yelled at me and made me do push ups )... and every academy should be residential to add the stress of not seeing or talking to loved ones for 5 days and the fun of being woken up at 3am.
          Last edited by Trooper4985; 06-04-2007, 07:48 PM.
          sigpic

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Trooper4985's official theme song

Comment

Who cares how much lip he gives, I have respect for those guys that served, and I would never ticket them. How come all these stories from vets to cops all get tickets down south. Anyone ever hear a PC story from any cop down there? All I hear is ticket, ticket, ticket. (Just to pre-empt, no I've never been pulled over or ticketed in the south)

Comment

Originally posted by shook0002 View Post
              Who cares how much lip he gives, I have respect for those guys that served, and I would never ticket them. How come all these stories from vets to cops all get tickets down south. Anyone ever hear a PC story from any cop down there? All I hear is ticket, ticket, ticket. (Just to pre-empt, no I've never been pulled over or ticketed in the south)
              Are you talking about every vet? That is a lot of freebies!

I used to NOT ticket soldiers on active duty. The problem is that I would end up letting half of those that I stopped go. Then I stopped the same guy in the same spot going FASTER than the first time. Needless to say, I have changed the playing rules. I ALMOST always let them go with a warning and a thnaks. If I don't, then they get a "reduced rate" ticket. Unless they are DUI or racing. Then all bets are off.
              Space for rent .........

Comment

Lionheart,
                I believe it is important as a U.S. citizen to know who has died in order for us all to enjoy this little thing we take for granted, freedom. I also have a need to find out who is considered a national hero. I mean if the hero can take the time to save lives, push back German troops, I can take the time to learn about it. I can then pass this along to my children so they realize there are true heroes around, not what’s on TV.

If you do not think it’s important to know who has done what for your freedom, then you have to live with that. Maybe it’s because I am prior military, but I do find such things important.

I would find it an honor to meet Sgt. Currey and no I would not cite him, especially during Memorial Day weekend.

Bearcat,
                Thank you.
                Patrick
                Excuses only please the one telling them!

The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his.

Comment

I have only stopped one car here in Florida that had a Medal of Honor tag displayed. When I made contact with the driver, I asked him if he was the registered owner of the car, which he told me yes and gave me his license. when I saw that it was true, I told him that my dad had served two tours in Vietnam and I told him welcome home and I let him go. He was also a Vietnam vet. No way I would cite a true hero like that. These people are the real heros, and during my time growing up in a military family as well as serving myself, I have had the honor to meet several people who had been given Medal of Honor, and each and every one of them were the most decent and humble people I have ever met.

Comment

Without getting into what happened, if I ever came across a situation dealing with a living recipient of a medal of honor, if it was within my descression, I would never take any law enforcement action. That person is declared by the government I serve to be a person of honor, and I take that to heart.

Comment

If in doubt, why not side with the alleged MOH winner? It's one less ticket and I don't think it will break up any officers lifecycle to let it slide. It's speeding, not DUI or reckless driving. I can't believe we're even discussing this as if there are two sides.
                      Jerry
                      "If all else fails, stop using all else!"

Comment

Moh

Common, we can cite alot of people a day. It would be nice in this situation to use your best discretion and give a verbal.

Feedom has a sweet sweet taste, the protected will never know, Sgt Curry
                        carry on.

Comment

It appears that the gentleman pre paid the fine and costs the day after the summons was issued as indicated by the "waived" on said date. Appearantly he wasn't too upset, probably just glad to be able to pay a traffic fine as he no doubt felt he might not see another sunrise on that long ago date.

It appears there are a lot of officers who like to play favorites with their own favorite classes and stick it to whomever doesn't fit. We live in a society which has shifted from one which placed great emphasis on persional responsability (no doubt the MOH winner was of this cut) to one of "what's in it for me and mine?". If he is honarable, he'll understand that he did what he did on that long past day simply to survive and maybe help his buddies do likewise, not to enjoy a life of priveledge. There are many thousands of men who did as much or more and who were never recognized for it.

I'ld have paid the ticket too ... and been pleased to still be looking at sunrises in 2007.
                          "That's right man, we've got mills here that'll blow that heap of your's right off the road."

"Beautiful Daughter of the Stars."(it's my home now)

>>>>> A Time for Choosing <<<<<

Retired @ 31yr 2mo as of 0000 hrs. 01-01-10. Yeah, all in all, it was good.

Comment

I do not have a problem with NOT citing the MOHR. My problem has to do with the attitude that he is ENTITLED to not get ticketed. If that is HIS attitude, then I would have no issue with someone citing him. If that is the LEO's attitude, then I would hope that what we were talking about is a very minor situation (interstate, little traffic, etc).
                            Space for rent .........

Comment

Originally posted by ex401mp View Post
                              I have only stopped one car here in Florida that had a Medal of Honor tag displayed. When I made contact with the driver, I asked him if he was the registered owner of the car, which he told me yes and gave me his license. when I saw that it was true, I told him that my dad had served two tours in Vietnam and I told him welcome home and I let him go. He was also a Vietnam vet. No way I would cite a true hero like that. These people are the real heros, and during my time growing up in a military family as well as serving myself, I have had the honor to meet several people who had been given Medal of Honor, and each and every one of them were the most decent and humble people I have ever met.
                              Was his Initials GL by chance?
                              "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms. . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. . . Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson

Comment

uj

Some people like this guy who has gone to hell in back for his country deserve a pass. Some folks do not believe in that logic. Especially in the state of Virginia. Cops should not write cops or war heros on memorial day. Their are plenty of drunks to collar on that day without making your numbers on a war hero.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3947 users online. 281 members and 3666 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X