• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VA cop tickets Medal of Honor recipent

Someone please tell me it ain't so!

What is being circulated

http://forums.military.com/eve/forum.../4230019921001

"Doesn't mean a thing!"

Spoken by Virginia Law Enforcement Officer Jim McClellan (Badge #5011) upon noticing the distinctive Medal of Honor license plate on the vehicle of World War II hero Frank Currey. Officer McClellan had just pulled over the 82-year-old hero in what one person (also LEA) described as a speed trap near Petersburg, VA. According that same report:

"I would of at least expected a little courtesy on Memorial Day Weekend, but I guess not. I guess the Officer was a real ***, and when Mr. Currey asked him if he saw the plate and knew what it meant, the Officer replied, 'Doesn't mean a thing.' I made a few calls, apparently this Officer does does not have the greatest reputation."

Court Details

http://208.210.219.132/vadistrict/controller?action=CaseNumberSearch&startInput=&endInput=&input=[home]I[tab][enter]

Petersburg General District (Prepayable)
    Case Details

Case Number: GT07008969-00 File Date: 05/29/07 Complainant: MCCLELLAN, J. H.; OFF. Locality: PETERSBURG
    Defendant: CURREY, FRANCIS S. Defense Attorney:
    City/State Address: BONNEAU, SC 29431
    Sex: Male Race: White Caucasian (Non-Hispanic) DOB: 06/29/****
    Charge: 71/55 SPEEDING Code Section: G.46.2-870 Case Type: Infraction Class:
    Amended Charge: Amended Code Section: Amended Case Type:
    Offense Date: 05/26/07 Arrest Date: 00000

Hearings
    Number Date Time Result Hearing Type Courtroom Plea Min Continuance Code
    01 06/14/07 0200PM Waived 000
    02 0000 M 000
    03 0000 M 000

Final Disposition in District Court: Prepaid Fines/Costs Paid: 05/30/07
    Sentence Time: Sentence Suspension Time: Operator License Suspension Time:
    Fine: $80.00 Cost: $56.00
    Operator License Restriction Codes: Restriction Start Date: Restriction End Date:
    VASAP:

Currey was a Medal of Honor recipient

http://www.army.mil/cmh-pg/mohiia1.htm

CURREY, FRANCIS S.

Rank and organization: Sergeant, U.S. Army, Company K, 120th Infantry, 30th Infantry Division. Place and date: Malmedy, Belgium, 21 December 1944. Entered service at: Hurleyville, N.Y. Birth: Loch Sheldrake, N.Y. G.O. No.: 69, 17 August 1945. Citation: He was an automatic rifleman with the 3d Platoon defending a strong point near Malmedy, Belgium, on 21 December 1944, when the enemy launched a powerful attack. Overrunning tank destroyers and antitank guns located near the strong point, German tanks advanced to the 3d Platoon's position, and, after prolonged fighting, forced the withdrawal of this group to a nearby factory. Sgt. Currey found a bazooka in the building and crossed the street to secure rockets meanwhile enduring intense fire from enemy tanks and hostile infantrymen who had taken up a position at a house a short distance away. In the face of small-arms, machinegun, and artillery fire, he, with a companion, knocked out a tank with 1 shot. Moving to another position, he observed 3 Germans in the doorway of an enemy-held house. He killed or wounded all 3 with his automatic rifle. He emerged from cover and advanced alone to within 50 yards of the house, intent on wrecking it with rockets. Covered by friendly fire, he stood erect, and fired a shot which knocked down half of 1 wall. While in this forward position, he observed 5 Americans who had been pinned down for hours by fire from the house and 3 tanks. Realizing that they could not escape until the enemy tank and infantry guns had been silenced, Sgt. Currey crossed the street to a vehicle, where he procured an armful of antitank grenades. These he launched while under heavy enemy fire, driving the tankmen from the vehicles into the house. He then climbed onto a half-track in full view of the Germans and fired a machinegun at the house. Once again changing his position, he manned another machinegun whose crew had been killed; under his covering fire the 5 soldiers were able to retire to safety. Deprived of tanks and with heavy infantry casualties, the enemy was forced to withdraw. Through his extensive knowledge of weapons and by his heroic and repeated braving of murderous enemy fire, Sgt. Currey was greatly responsible for inflicting heavy losses in men and material on the enemy, for rescuing 5 comrades, 2 of whom were wounded, and for stemming an attack which threatened to flank his battalion's position.
    Last edited by GoldBadge; 06-01-2007, 11:03 AM.
    I’ll die with blue in my veins.

I don't know all the specifics but if I stopped someone going 20+ over and he gave me lip I would cite also.

These threads are so tough because we have no clue as to what went down.

Comment

Originally posted by lionheart45 View Post
      I don't know all the specifics but if I stopped someone going 20+ over and he gave me lip I would cite also.

These threads are so tough because we have no clue as to what went down.
      He was 82 years old with Medal of Honor license plates going 71/55.

I realize I wasn't there, but those are some damning facts.

Comment

"Doesn't mean a thing!"

Yes, it does mean something and should never be repudiated as having
        a lesser meaning than the officer doing his job. I don't fault the officer
        for issuing the citation, but he could have been more discreet with his
        response. He's required to exhibit exceptional sensitivity to a person of
        color when enforcing the law, so why not convey the same empathy to
        a senior citizen who is also a war hero?

Comment

Originally posted by GoldBadge View Post
          He was 82 years old with Medal of Honor license plates going 71/55.

I realize I wasn't there, but those are some damning facts.
          I'm with you as far as I would probably have let him go, I'm just playing both sides

Although I must admit when dealing with old vets buzzed/drunk from the VFW's and Legions they can get nasty. "I am a Colonel and you will address me as such"

Comment

See thread in gen'l topics sect.
            Space for rent .........

Comment

Gold Badge.....

If you go to this thread: http://forums.officer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67591

And read my postings on the topic......I have the best info that I can find on the net.

The basic facts as I know them to be (based on reliable sources on the web which I have provided links to are).

-- A Frank Currey is pulled over around the Petersburg area by a LEO (still no word on what agency.....even though VA State Police are getting dinked with it).

--Mr Currey is issued a summons for traveling 71/55.

--Mr. Currey pays the ticket several days later.

--Mr Currey and the Currey that was awarded the MOH both live in the same South Carolina City.

--South Carolina issues MOH plates.

--Unknown if he had MOH plates on said vehicle when he was stopped.

--Unknown if it is the Currey's are one and the same (logic would say they are).

--None of us (including the original posters) were there.....and none of us know what was actually said at during the stop.....other than Mr. Currey and the Officer.....

Comment

Bearcat, I saw the other thread after I started mine.

All I'm saying is that I hope it's not true. I worked the street many years and never found it necessary to cite a cop or a war hero.

Comment

Bearcat, I saw the other thread after I started mine.
                  I saw you posted there after I posted in this one....

All I'm saying is that I hope it's not true. I worked the street many years and never found it necessary to cite a cop or a war hero.
                  I have a host of folks I don't write.....and he would certainly fall into that catagory.

I have only written one known Vet.....but it was a retired 1 Star that was being a complete horses *** after I stopped him going 18 over...... I stroked him....and I had the tape ready to go as he showed up to fight it.....but then opted not to fight it when he saw I had a tape of the stop. He got lippy with my Chief and one of our SGTs and it was about to get real ugly outside the Court Room.....

I know who would have won that one....

Comment

A MOH recipient could kick my butt on duy, and as long as he didn't try to kill me, I wouldn't arrest him.

There is NO greater respect due than that due an MOH recipient, IMHO.

YMMV,

EDJ
                    "It's a game of cat and mouse. It's a game of hide and seek. Albeit games with deadly consequences. Like most games-the better you know the rules, the more likely you are to win."

Comment

I look at the tag only to get the number and state to relay to dispatch. We have so many tags here in Florida...I don't worry about anything other than the number and state I call out are correct. I think there's something like 60 different schemes you can get.

It's now the cool thing to get a tag that matches the colors on your car. What's more popular are the "PBA" tags on the new Impalas.

We have tags for:
                      Ride for Life
                      Choose Life
                      Florida for Veterans
                      Save the turtle
                      Challenger Fund
                      Agriculture
                      Save the Manatee
                      Every Pro Football Team
                      Every SINGLE FREAKING COLLEGE!!!!!!
                      Every Hockey Team
                      Basketball Teams
                      !!!! PBA !!!!!
                      Purple Heart
                      Every Branch of the Armed Forces
                      DMV tags
                      Antique car tags

Well...you get my point. Tags really don't mean anything. Just because I'm driving a car with a DMV tag doesn't mean I was the DMV. The registered owner of the vehicle is.

I've stopped many cars with Purple Heart recipient tags and found other family members driving them. I can't tell you the number of PBA Impalas I've stopped in the hood with jits in them.

I guess my point is...the tag REALLY doesn't mean $hit except for the cost of registration. The driver does. Maybe the driver exhibited actions that required him to be re-evaluated.

Comment

Joe,
                        I agree with you 100%. Heroes such as Sgt. Currey are all too often forgotten, along with their deeds. Most likely an officer that would cite Sgt. Currey has no clue of the great sacrifice he has made. Yes LEO's everyday save lives, but that does not raise them to the same level as a M.O.H. recipient. If the officer did realize who he was and still wrote him would find out that he has lost all respect by me and a lot of others.

How many people here can tell me, how many M.O.H. recipients there are? How about how many are still a live?
                        Patrick
                        Excuses only please the one telling them!

The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his.

Comment

That dude is one BAD *****. Did you read what he did? Still only he and the officer know what happened on that stop and both probably believe they were right.

Comment

I hope the driver was polite and did not disrespect the officer. But honestly when I pull over a vehicle with an ex-pow, purple heart, or veteran tag they usually get a short please don't do that and a salute. Then they get sent on their way. However if they choose to show us disrespect then all bets are off.

Comment

Originally posted by barr151 View Post

How many people here can tell me, how many M.O.H. recipients there are? How about how many are still a live?
                              I can't, but so what?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3369 users online. 184 members and 3185 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X