300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FBINA Graduates

I'm going to a session soon (exact session hasn't been confirmed yet). Any special advice?
    Last edited by gare442; 06-05-2007, 09:33 PM.

Are you going to the december or maybe january session? just curious because my chief is going.
    "I am... reminded of something Cardinal Wolsey once told me. That I should only ever tell the king what he ought to do, not what he could do; for if the lion knows his own strength, no man could control him". Sir Thomas More

Comment

There is a Sept class as well....as one of my friends from back home is attending that one....

Apparently he's heard about my FAM/DOJ/DOD/DHS/DOI/ Travel/Tour Services and is wanting to be entertained on his days off.....

Comment

Take money, a lot of your dept patches, and business cards. Everyone seems to have something to sell. A lot of it's junk but some guys have some contacts where there's some nice stuff. There's a lot of patch trading going on. I took 250 patches.
        I went in the fall of 95. Watch out for deer. They are thick on Q and in the fall they're in rut so they are moving. I know 2 of the guys in my session who hit deer.
        Watch your speed. The Marines are serious about speeding. They don't give warnings. One of the visiting instructors got a ticket.
        Don't stay at Q on the weekend. If you don't have a car hook up with someone who does. Get out and see the sights. Definitely plan to eat at the Globe and Laurel. It's on Hwy 1 across from Main Base owned by retired USMC. See the USMC museum.
        Unless you are really into the subject avoid anything with "budget" or "grants" in the title. Knock out any papers early as you can so they aren't hanging over your head at the end. The last couple of weeks you want to be as free as possible.
        Take at least 1 pair of good running shoes, 2 pair would be better. Also take a good pair of shoes suitable for the gym.
        Take a laptop and printer that has a good virus protection program.
        I've heard they've cracked down with hanging out in the parking lot doing all the drinking. That's a good thing. Never saw anything good come out of that. If you've got a small refrigerator (2 ft square kind) be very discrete getting it to your room. Keep it covered getting it there and while in your room. You're not suppose to have it and you don't want too many to know you do. I put a sheet over mine and put my printer on it so it looked like a table. If others find out you have it they'll be wanting to put all their stuff in it and won't be long it will be filled with others stuff and people complaining someone took theirs. Just don't need the grief.
        The first week is the worst. No one can find their way around the place. It's set up like a gerbil cage with walk ways adjoining each of the buildings which all are alike. After about a week tho you get it figured out.
        Afterwards take at least a week off before returning to work. You'll need that time to get out of the NA mode and back into the work mode.
        I don't know if they still do the NYC trip. If so it's worth the money even if you have been to NYC before. It costs a few hundred dollars which covers everything, ie, bus trip, hotel, food, tours. They NYPD really took care of us. It's only a limited number so get your name on the list as soon as you hear about it. They only take 2 buses and when they're full that's all.
        After you get home be sure to stay active with your NA association. Go to the retrainers. Depending on the section those retrainers could be monthly or quarterly.
        You'll have a good time. We usually send someone to each session and in 28 yrs I've only heard of 2 who didn't like it. Their complaint was the time away from home.
        If they called today and said I could go again but had to be there on Monday I'm in my care heading to Q. It's well worth it. Enjoy.
        183 FBINA

Comment

What is FBINA ??

Comment

Originally posted by ArkansasFan24 View Post
            What is FBINA ??
            The FBI National Academy. It's for local/county/state police officers, as well as police officers abroad.
            Why are there so many babies on O.com? Creole, you and your buddy JPSO Recruit help me out on this one....

* "Preach always, if necessary, use words!" St Francis of Assisi

* Luke Chapter 6, Verses 27-36

Comment

Originally posted by ArkansasFan24 View Post
              What is FBINA ??
              http://www.fbi.gov/hq/td/academy/na/na.htm

Comment

Originally posted by ISPCAPT View Post
                Take money, a lot of your dept patches, and business cards. Everyone seems to have something to sell. A lot of it's junk but some guys have some contacts where there's some nice stuff. There's a lot of patch trading going on. I took 250 patches.
                I went in the fall of 95. Watch out for deer. They are thick on Q and in the fall they're in rut so they are moving. I know 2 of the guys in my session who hit deer.
                Watch your speed. The Marines are serious about speeding. They don't give warnings. One of the visiting instructors got a ticket.
                Don't stay at Q on the weekend. If you don't have a car hook up with someone who does. Get out and see the sights. Definitely plan to eat at the Globe and Laurel. It's on Hwy 1 across from Main Base owned by retired USMC. See the USMC museum.
                Unless you are really into the subject avoid anything with "budget" or "grants" in the title. Knock out any papers early as you can so they aren't hanging over your head at the end. The last couple of weeks you want to be as free as possible.
                Take at least 1 pair of good running shoes, 2 pair would be better. Also take a good pair of shoes suitable for the gym.
                Take a laptop and printer that has a good virus protection program.
                I've heard they've cracked down with hanging out in the parking lot doing all the drinking. That's a good thing. Never saw anything good come out of that. If you've got a small refrigerator (2 ft square kind) be very discrete getting it to your room. Keep it covered getting it there and while in your room. You're not suppose to have it and you don't want too many to know you do. I put a sheet over mine and put my printer on it so it looked like a table. If others find out you have it they'll be wanting to put all their stuff in it and won't be long it will be filled with others stuff and people complaining someone took theirs. Just don't need the grief.
                The first week is the worst. No one can find their way around the place. It's set up like a gerbil cage with walk ways adjoining each of the buildings which all are alike. After about a week tho you get it figured out.
                Afterwards take at least a week off before returning to work. You'll need that time to get out of the NA mode and back into the work mode.
                I don't know if they still do the NYC trip. If so it's worth the money even if you have been to NYC before. It costs a few hundred dollars which covers everything, ie, bus trip, hotel, food, tours. They NYPD really took care of us. It's only a limited number so get your name on the list as soon as you hear about it. They only take 2 buses and when they're full that's all.
                After you get home be sure to stay active with your NA association. Go to the retrainers. Depending on the section those retrainers could be monthly or quarterly.
                You'll have a good time. We usually send someone to each session and in 28 yrs I've only heard of 2 who didn't like it. Their complaint was the time away from home.
                If they called today and said I could go again but had to be there on Monday I'm in my care heading to Q. It's well worth it. Enjoy.

Thanks for the info. Yes, they still have the NYC trip, plus they added a Philly trip.

Anyone else have any do's or don'ts?

Comment

Don't bring embarrassment upon yourself or your department.
                  "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm" -George Orwell

"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing diapers." - Blues Brothers

Comment

Originally posted by gare442 View Post
                    I'm going to a session soon (exact session hasn't been confirmed yet). Any special advice?
                    Take a car. The FBI academy is pretty much in the middle of nowhere and you are going to be wanting to get away from it some after a while. While you can always befriend someone with a car, it's a lot more fun to have a car and let people worry about befriending you.

Comment

Besides the NYC and Philly trips, any other MUST VISIT or EXPERIENCE activities during down time?

I've got "eat at the Globe & Laurel" on the list (Thanks ISPCAPT). Any other places or sights out of the norm?

Comment

Originally posted by gare442 View Post
                        Besides the NYC and Philly trips, any other MUST VISIT or EXPERIENCE activities during down time?

I've got "eat at the Globe & Laurel" on the list (Thanks ISPCAPT). Any other places or sights out of the norm?
                        Washington, DC / Arlington Cemetary / Smithsonian, etc, etc
                        "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm" -George Orwell

"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing diapers." - Blues Brothers

Comment

Im going at the end of March. Can anybody give me a ballpark figure of how much cash I should set aside for this training? Im talking about cash in pocket when I arrive there and an average budget for the 10 weeks Im gonna be there.
                          http://tgace.wordpress.com

Comment

As with any training experience....just remember that, back home, somebody (perhaps less talented, less popular, or less privileged) is taking up your share of the workload. Upon your return, be grateful for the experience and do what you can to share the information obtained with those willing to receive it. Help someone else get there. Otherwise, the experience is tarnished.
                            "You're never fully dressed without a smile."

Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.

Three things I know for sure: (1) No bad deed goes unrewarded, (2) No good deed goes unpunished, and (3) It is entirely possible to push the most devoted, loyal and caring person beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t.

Comment

I have heard that if you are not in shape you need to start exercising because PT is part of the program.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6310 users online. 334 members and 5976 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X