300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it this bad everywhere?

Our agency has 126 sworn 'positions' and we are short roughly 27 officers. The number of sworn positions is going up but the number of actual officers is decreasing. I know many agencies are suffering but are they hurting as bad as we are for manpower?

Its getting pretty bad on streets and I fear officer safety becoming an issue.
    I work for a pretty decent agency that is comparable to the surrounding jurisdictions so I find it hard to believe that there are no applicants or low quality applicants. Out of the people that I have seen come through for testing, there has to be at least a few good ones in the bunch.
    Last edited by Taylor1430; 05-31-2007, 02:58 AM.

The short answer to your question "Is it this bad everywhere?" is: Yes.
    "I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Comment

Originally posted by pulicords View Post
      The short answer to your question "Is it this bad everywhere?" is: Yes.
      ^^^What he said^^^

Comment

Yes.

And getting worse by the week.

In my previous state police dept in Australia we were losing 20 or so per month.

Due to the numerous and brilliant command & political decisions on tenure, rank "jumping", nil support from Gov/politicians and many other issues the losses are now averaging apx 40 highly trained and experienced officers per month.

With a total supposedly around 5000 in the state the genuises at command are now not only seeking officers from the UK but all over Europe.

Spending huge amounts of money in this yet another unbelievable tactic - when the money could possibly be spent actually retaining already trained and experienced officers with a comprehensive understanding of the current policing environment?

One wonders just what IS going on at the so called "top".
        Homer: When I first heard that Marge was joining the police academy, I thought it would be fun and zany, like that movie Spaceballs. But instead it was dark and disturbing... Like that movie -- Police Academy.

Comment

It has to do with the cow-towing and bending of the knee to the public to make it look like we are not a military unit, although most situations now-a-days require something just a hair short of that.
          I am a Native American of non-Indian decent.

Cleaning the pool, one gene at a time.

I'm on a 30 day diet. So far I've lost 15 days!

Comment

yes, it's bad everywhere.
            With all the complaints cops receive now days, being ripped apart in the press and not being backed up by their agencies is causing people to take a second look.
            Hopefully one good thing that will come out of this Iraq mess is that more seasoned troops will want to get into law enforcement.
            Three Stripes beats Four Aces.
            Retirement: You've Won the War when you're Paid to Stay at Home.

Comment

Consider this: When a municipality has an approved budget for X amount of personnel and they are short the actual bodies, does the extra budget money stay in the general fund? Uh huh. Nice to have a handy "cookie jar" when you need it.
              Jerry
              "If all else fails, stop using all else!"

Comment

NJ is different I guess. You still get 100+ applicants for one position.
                What Delta said x2

Comment

extra budget money

Originally posted by jerrymaccauley View Post
                  Consider this: When a municipality has an approved budget for X amount of personnel and they are short the actual bodies, does the extra budget money stay in the general fund? Uh huh. Nice to have a handy "cookie jar" when you need it.
                  that's where alot of overtime is to be had. We are 110 short on DLE is and about 95 short on the DOD side. So many oldtimers retiring at this time and people that have left north for the housing boom we are always in need of good people. Hence forth the OT with the extra budget money
                  LET IT RAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Yeah. We are short 27 also. We are supposed to have 290. Big recruiting push though, with television ads and all.
                    "Nuts" ---Lieutenant General Harry Kinnard

Comment

Originally posted by PFL View Post
                      NJ is different I guess. You still get 100+ applicants for one position.
                      Ohio must be like NJ. We don't get the flood of applicants like we did in the late 90's, but most departments around here aren't short of applicants for open positions (at least, not the smaller departments...some of the big cities have always had recruitment problems). And, I know that the "open enrollment" police academies around here are still making money hand over fist...
                      "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
                      -Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

Most agencies are requiring college degrees. The LEO pay is not equal to the average starting salary of someone right out of college. If you consider the kind of crap one has to deal with everyday, the pay is not comparable.

People do not become LEO for the money. However, money does keep people content. The problem, I think, is low raises, poor benefits, and politics.

But I'm happy... for right now.
                        "The angle of the dangle is proportional to the heat of the meat." - Beavis

Comment

Taylor

Did you ever get that info I asked you about?
                          Leave Space Empty

Comment

we've been between 9-11 Officers short for several years now...'bout the time we're getting there, some retire, rookies don't make it through FTO and you're right back where you started. We've got three in the pipeline now. This issue came up at comm stats the other day and it was discussed that even the academies are graduating less and less around here...only averaging 10-15 a class.
                            sigpic

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Comment

My dept is about 200 officers short right now. We run two academies a year and are authorized 60 per class. The current class I am told had around 900 applicants and they only filled 57 slots. So, yes it is bad everywhere.

Be Safe
                              ...that could be cannon fire...

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6211 users online. 344 members and 5867 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X