Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

US Cellular - Remote erasing of phone contacts?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US Cellular - Remote erasing of phone contacts?

Anyone else heard of this? This got passed to me in a intel e-mail today. Originating agency seems to be Illinois State Police:

U.S. Cellular and many of the major cell phone companies are starting to offer the lost phone tool. This feature allows persons who lose their cell phone to log onto the website and send a command out to erase all the information in the phone including phone book, recent calls, and text messages.
    U.S. Cellular launched the service on May 7, 2007. Therefore if police officers seize a phone for evidence, a person can send out an erase command and as soon as the phone is turned on, it will erase all of the data in the phone.

From the US Cellular website:

Lost your phone?

My Contacts Backup has a lost phone feature that allows you to remotely erase the contacts on your phone if it is lost or stolen. Your complete contact list will remain saved on the My Contacts Backup Web site so you can restore your
    contacts at a later time.

To erase the contacts from your phone, login to your My Contacts Backup account, click the "Lost Phone" link at the top of the page and follow the instructions provided. If your service is active and your phone is powered on, within a good coverage area and the erase function isn’t manually interrupted, this will remove your contacts from your phone.
    "When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle."
    - Edmund Burke

I got it a while back. I don't believe I would have posted it in a public forum.
    I’ll die with blue in my veins.

Comment

Goldbadge,

The info came from a non-restricted source, so I was posting for officer info only. If US Cellular is advertising the feature on their website, I figure people would have already figured out the possibility.

That being said, if people consider this LEO-sensitive, I will remove the post.
      "When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle."
      - Edmund Burke

Comment

Interesting, I go through US Cellular and still hadn't ever heard of that...we'll see how long that lasts.
        The above comments reflect the personal, off-the-record, unofficial opinions of the individual posting them only, and in no way, shape, or form should be taken to indicate any particular opinion, policy, or belief by the poster's or any other agency, governmental entity, organization, or corporation. Thank you and have a nice day.

Comment

http://forums.officer.com/forums/sho...light=cellular

was posted earlier in the month
          All Gave Some - Some Gave All

Comment

My service is through US Cellular... if it works anything like my current service with them... we have nothing to worry about!

Comment

Good point MADcop...lol
              The above comments reflect the personal, off-the-record, unofficial opinions of the individual posting them only, and in no way, shape, or form should be taken to indicate any particular opinion, policy, or belief by the poster's or any other agency, governmental entity, organization, or corporation. Thank you and have a nice day.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3126 users online. 164 members and 2962 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X