Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ready to pull the trigger...

... on retirement.

These last few months have been the most challenging of my career...and things are just going from bad to worse.

I work in one of the most densely-populated areas in the US. I won't post specific details because I don't want to identify my agency...but suffice to say, we have been hit HARD by COVID-19. At its peak, our citizens were dropping like flies, many of our officers were sidelined by illness and quarantines, and the remaining staff was exhausted and stretched to the limit from working up to 80 hours a week, rushing from one medical assist to the next while trying to control teenagers running wild because schools are closed.

Add to that personal challenges such as not having any close contact with my kids for months. My daughter works in healthcare, so she worked insane hours herself and had to self-isolate between shifts. My son is immuno-compromised so he's basically been sequestered in his room (and not happy about it). Try "home schooling" as a single parent.

We eventually reached a point where we seem to have a better handle on this virus thing. There's finally a light at the end of the tunnel.

And then George Floyd happens.

And the protests and riots and looting happen.

And the same people who, just a couple of weeks ago, sent thank-you notes and food to our officers for their tireless service, are now attacking and cursing them. Basically saying "Thanks for saving my grandma's life. Now ****ing die, racist pig!"

Protests seem to be calming down.

And then Rayshard Brooks happens.

And more protests.

And now the charges against officer Rolfe.

The virus almost brought us to our knees. Now politics will finish us off. I don't think I can protect my officers from the fallout..

Very well said. I cannot argue with any point you have made or the conclusions you have reached. All I can do is offer my best wishes for a peaceful and restful retirement.

Comment

If you are eligible to retire, do so today. Don't play Russian Roulette with your pension and freedom. Walk away from all of this.

Comment

Originally posted by SHU View Post
        If you are eligible to retire, do so today. Don't play Russian Roulette with your pension and freedom. Walk away from all of this.
        I would think twice about leaving even if you aren't eligible to retire but are vested in your pension system.

You might make out better getting another job until you can get a pension check
        Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

It is truly a decision that only you should make with your family. But, if the administration supports the troops, that’s a big plus. A bigger plus is if the citizens appreciate you guys. Being it’s an urban area, I doubt that’s the case.
          I’ll die with blue in my veins.

Comment

Originally posted by SHU View Post

Originally posted by Iowa #1603
            would think twice about leaving even if you aren't eligible to retire but are vested in your pension system.

You might make out better getting another job until you can get a pension check
            I'm fully vested and eligible to retire...but if I hang in there for another five months (25 years of service) my pension would jump from 50% to 65% of final compensation, and my lifetime health benefits would be covered 100% instead of 80%. So there's a huge financial incentive to stick it out at least until then. There was a time when I was hoping to make it to 30 years of service to max out my pension at 70%...but with all the crap going on now, I'd have to be nuts (or should I say MORE nuts).

And then there's a sense of obligation to my officers. Before everything went to ****, there were two SGTs who were being considered for promotion and to move into my position once I retire. One of them, the troops had faith in to advocate for them. The other one, they feared would throw them under the bus when push came to shove. Unfortunately, the former just went out on disability retirement, so they'd be stuck with the latter. Last thing they need right now is THAT morale crusher...

Comment

• Iowa #1603
              Iowa #1603 commented
              Editing a comment
              Those figures make a difference

Our big jump was at 22 yrs of service.............I almost jumped ship then but stuck it out 5 more years

I couldn't hold out for the 72% max.....................retired at 67.5% when I was first eligible

I have been told several times by my old crew that I left at the right time......I am sure I would have walked out or got fired had I stayed
              Last edited by Iowa #1603; 06-18-2020, 05:27 PM.

Be a House Mouse. You can’t control the future. There is ZERO guarantee that a good SGT will get it or be there. How long would you keep sticking around then? They are big boys, it’s their issue, not yours.
            Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Originally posted by GoldBadge View Post
              It is truly a decision that only you should make with your family. But, if the administration supports the troops, that’s a big plus. A bigger plus is if the citizens appreciate you guys. Being it’s an urban area, I doubt that’s the case.
              Honestly, we've been pretty fortunate on that front.

We've generally had pretty good community relations and a good amount of citizen-support...but with people being under stay-at-home orders for months, everyone just seems to be ready to rumble. Probably half the "demonstrators" are just looking for an excuse to get out of the house, socialize, and blow off steam.

As for upper admin, I really can't complain too much.There's always going to be some disaccord, conflicting priorities, and political pressure, but for the most part upper admin has had our backs. But in this current anti-LE climate, I'm not sure it's going to stay that way. If **** hits the fan, and certain groups demand their pound of flesh (or an entire slaughter house)...they are going to get it one way or another. And I'd hate for one of our guys to be on the chopping block.

Comment

Originally posted by retired1995 View Post
                Very well said. I cannot argue with any point you have made or the conclusions you have reached. All I can do is offer my best wishes for a peaceful and restful retirement.
                Thanks!

Comment

Unfortunately, the former just went out on disability retirement, so they'd be stuck with the latter.
                  You could get shot tomorrow, or shoot somebody, and it all goes out the window anyway.

Sticking around to improve your own position is a risk you can calculate, who is in charge down the road you can't and so it becomes a gamble rather than a risk
                  "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

Originally posted by not.in.MY.town View Post

I'm fully vested and eligible to retire...but if I hang in there for another five months (25 years of service) my pension would jump from 50% to 65% of final compensation, and my lifetime health benefits would be covered 100% instead of 80%. So there's a huge financial incentive to stick it out at least until then. There was a time when I was hoping to make it to 30 years of service to max out my pension at 70%...but with all the crap going on now, I'd have to be nuts (or should I say MORE nuts).

And then there's a sense of obligation to my officers. Before everything went to ****, there were two SGTs who were being considered for promotion and to move into my position once I retire. One of them, the troops had faith in to advocate for them. The other one, they feared would throw them under the bus when push came to shove. Unfortunately, the former just went out on disability retirement, so they'd be stuck with the latter. Last thing they need right now is THAT morale crusher...

I think sticking it out for another 5 months is a "no brainer", hopefully things may even improve by that point.
                    John 15:13 - Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends.

Comment

Originally posted by NC Marine View Post

I think sticking it out for another 5 months is a "no brainer", hopefully things may even improve by that point.
                      Yeah, resigning at this point would be foolish...but I wouldn't mind a couple of weeks off. Not happening any time soon though with the number of officers and command staff we're still down. Stay-at-home orders have been lifted, so crime and general shenanigans are up, and we're shifting from COVID19-related calls back to enforcement -- at a time when even the most pro-active officers are (understandably) reluctant to take any action at all.

Comment

Townie, whatever you decide I wish you all the best in the next phase of your life!

Comment

• not.in.MY.town
                          not.in.MY.town commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Thanks, bud! My goal for after retirement is to participate in nude tricycle races in all 50 States. You in?

• BTDT2
                          BTDT2 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          sorry, it's not on my bucket list.....

• not.in.MY.town
                          not.in.MY.town commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Pulled your hammy again?

Originally posted by not.in.MY.town View Post

Yeah, resigning at this point would be foolish...but I wouldn't mind a couple of weeks off. Not happening any time soon though with the number of officers and command staff we're still down. Stay-at-home orders have been lifted, so crime and general shenanigans are up, and we're shifting from COVID19-related calls back to enforcement -- at a time when even the most pro-active officers are (understandably) reluctant to take any action at all.
                        Two weeks off? Easy, show up at roll call as a nude tricycle race participant singing California, Here I Come!

Here’s the lyrics

When the wintry winds start blowing
                        And the snow is starting to fall
                        Then my eyes turn westward knowing
                        That's the place that I love best of all

California, I've been blue
                        Since I've been away from you.
                        I can't wait till I get going
                        Even now I'm starting in a call

California, here I come
                        Right back where I started from
                        Where bowers are flowers bloom in the spring
                        Each morning at dawning
                        Birdies sing and everything
                        A sun kissed miss said "Don't be late!"
                        That's why I can hardly wait,
                        Open up that Golden Gate!
                        California, here I come!

California, here I come, yeah!
                        Right where I started from
                        Where bowers are flowers bloom in the spring
                        Each morning at dawning
                        Birdies sing and everything
                        A sun kissed miss said "Don't be late!"
                        That's why I can hardly wait
                        Open up, open up, open up that Golden Gate!
                        California, here I come!

Comment

• not.in.MY.town
                          not.in.MY.town commented
                          Editing a comment
                          .....or just not show up to roll call at all.

• BTDT2
                          BTDT2 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Or instead of pulling the trigger ask your boss to pull your finger..... if done correctly you'll get your two weeks

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3320 users online. 229 members and 3091 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X