300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warrant Sweeps

I conducted a warrant sweep earlier today in the northern portion of our county. I had five two officer teams working the detail. Each team was comprised of a city police officer paired up with a county deputy sheriff. Each team was given a list of warrants to work. We made 16 arrests total for an 8 hour shift. (I was pretty happy with those numbers, by the way.) I also used a satellite court facility that has several holding cells as a central collection point for our prisoners. We had additional staff for prisoner transport and two correctional staff from our main jail re-assigned to this detail to assist with paper work. I am just wondering if anyone does anything similar in their respective jurisdictions? If so, what tips, tricks, short-cuts, etc have you learned from doing this? I have conducted these in the past and each time I do one I seem to learn a little bit more about doing these. One of the things that we learned today is that we really need access to an additional computer at our satellite court facility. We have become so computer dependent for almost everything that we do that when we do something special we really need to make sure that we have access to enough computers. I have also experimented in the past with how much preparation we do in advance on our targets. During some of these sweeps I have done extensive research on the targets vehicles, employment,
    known associates, etc and other times I have simply handed out a list and not done much preparation. I am still kind of undecided on how effective the advanced preparation is for a multi-agency warrant sweep. I know for me as an individual the advanced preparation is quite effective, but it seems for a larger scale warrant sweep that the advanced preparation is of questionable benefit for the results obtained. I seems like the benefit of a multi-agency sweep is simply getting to as many addresses as possible and that sheer luck plays as much into this as preparation. I might add that that although this was certainly extra work for everyone involved, everyone seemed to enjoy working the detail and everyone there chose to be there (nobody was ordered by their agency to participate.) As you can imagine there was good healthy rivalry, comeraderie, and competition for the first arrest, the most arrests, the most serious arrests, etc, I will probably conduct one of these again soon and I am just looking for some inputs from people that have done this on what makes these warrant sweeps most
    effective. Thoughts anybody?
    Last edited by Jim1648; 05-25-2007, 12:24 AM.

I do these fairly often. One of the more useful tactics we've used is a short info packet on each target that includes photo, address info, vehicle info, and any other pertinent info. More often then not, its just a one page deal. Each team gets a copy for their area. I always make sure there's a note section and any intel gathered on individuals we fail to locate is integrated into the system for future trys.

The other time saver is I always group the info sheets based on physical addresses so that we don't spend alot of time driving back and forth around the county. I always try to line them up so to speak.
    Originally posted by kontemplerande
    Without Germany, you would not have won World War 2.

Comment

Warrant Sweeps

Sounds like you've really got a handle on your preparations. That WILL pay off. Okay, one cautionary note. About 170 years ago, the German strategist, Carl von Clauswitz wrote. "No plan survives initial contact with the enemy". Does that mean, don't plan? &&^% No. It means, have a plan flexible enough to meet changing situations and demands. Sounds like you and your team are on the right track. Don't forget that Mr. Murphy and his "Law" are ever present factors in your operations too. Keep planning, keep executing, watch your back.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4423 users online. 278 members and 4145 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
      Working...
      X