Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you expect of your supervisors?

Fellow O.com members, next week, I'll be teaching about 30 officers/detectives/civilians about to promote to sergeant/supervisor. They will be the last class of new sgt/supv I'll ever instruct at LAPD.

What, can I tell them you expect from new sergeants/supervisors?
    Last edited by Kieth M.; 05-28-2007, 12:54 PM.
    "You're never fully dressed without a smile."

Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.

Three things I know for sure: (1) No bad deed goes unrewarded, (2) No good deed goes unpunished, and (3) It is entirely possible to push the most devoted, loyal and caring person beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t.

I expect to be respected as a valuable asset and not a liability.

Tell them to lead by example and remember that what gets rewarded,
    gets done.

Comment

Tell them to never forget where they came from. We all make errors in judgement (otherwise known as mistakes) that can be easily corrected without starting a paperwork trail.

A man should never be ashamed to own that he has been in the wrong, which is but saying... that he is wiser today than yesterday. Jonathan Swift 1667-1745

It's only a conspiracy when your party is not in power.

Comment

The best supervisors I ever worked for followed two rules...

1. Take personal responsibility for whatever mistakes your troops make. Whether it be with the public or with the brass, a "the buck stops here" attitude will endear you to your subordinates. That doesn't mean that your troops can act with impunity and never fear discipline, but that should be an issue between the supervisor and the individual officer (barring extreme discipline issues).

2. Don't take personal responsibility for what your unit does right...pass those kudos directly to your troops. Giving credit for successes to your troops will have hugh benefits in both morale and loyalty. The supervisor doesn't need those kudos...the brass, assuming that they have a few live brain cells, will understand your role in a successful unit, and will remember it. Better to pay out those kudos to your men than to bask in the limelight yourself.
        "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
        -Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

they are the most important position in an organization, the first line supervisor.

set the example for others to emulate

people make mistakes including first line sups

be fair, be consistent

tell what they expect out of their subordinates, setting the tone

know the GO's

know your subordinates

praise in public, chastize in private

communicate up and down the chain
          ''Life's tough......it's tougher if you're stupid.''
          -- John Wayne

Comment

There will always be something to complain about.
            If a guy/gal quits complaining, he's probably about to resign.

Just because you got chewed out doesn't mean you have to turn right around and chew out the entire shift.
            You can correct problems without blowing up.

Don't let every contact be a butt chewing.
            It can make a world of difference to acknowledge a job well done.
            Do you want guys and gals that are just looking to put in their shift and go home or people who are energetic and want to work with you.

Like with children, be consistant.

Comment

Spend the majority of your time on your BEST performers. Don't spend it on your worst performers, this just makes teh strong ones wonder why they are putting the extra effort out. Focusing on your best makes your middle want to be the best and your worst want to go some where else.

Comment

Originally posted by BIALaw View Post
                Spend the majority of your time on your BEST performers. Don't spend it on your worst performers, this just makes teh strong ones wonder why they are putting the extra effort out. Focusing on your best makes your middle want to be the best and your worst want to go some where else.
                I like this one a lot. The advice I got when I first promoted was, "Be your own sergeant. It doesn't matter in the long run if you are the stricktest sergeant or the most lax sergeant. They will talk the same about you either way, so just do what you know is best for the shift."
                Last edited by IMachU; 05-25-2007, 02:11 AM. Reason: Dang shpelling errrrorres

Comment

Leadership is not a popularity contest. Lead and the Cops who truly respected you will still be around. The ones who thought you would be their puppet will disappear.

Never ask a cop to do anything you would not do yourself.

Cant lead from your desk, have to be out with the other cops.
                  It takes a Wolf.......

Comment

Just echoing what others have said.

LEAD BY EXAMPLE!!!!!!! (this is extremely important, if your not willing to do it, then never ask anyone else too)

We all knows 1st line supv's have additional duties ect, but get out there as much as you can with your troops.

Praise in public, scold in private. The quickest way to turn someone against you in to scold them in front of there peers.

Those are just a few things, but I would suggest and future or new supv to take some type of LAMS class.

Comment

I expect my supervisor to never have a bad day.

Comment

focus just as much on good work that officers do as the bad things they might do. too often supervisors LOOK for things that are bad or negative instead of or devoting just as much time to looking for positive or good things. a simple positive comment can go a long ways sometimes.

micromanaging is very annoying. unless an officer needs 1 on 1 supervison let them do their job. because all micromanaging does is tell someone that you want it done your way and your way is the only way.

Comment

Originally posted by Kieth M. View Post
                          Fellow O.com members, next week, I'll be teaching about 30 officers/detectives/civilian about to promote to sergeant/supervisor. They will be the last class of new sgt/supv I'll ever instruct at LAPD.

What, can I tell them you expect from new sergeants/supervisors?
                          Fairness. Thats is all I really care about. BTW, I believe that my law instructor from the academy will be in your class...Im pretty sure she is starting sgt school this coming DP.
                          LAPD

Comment

1. Talk to me like I am an adult and not 12 years old

2. Remember there are officers who have had other rewarding careers that are not idiots.

3. Don't be a jek off

4. Don't ask if anyone has questions then when you get a legit question explode in a fit of rage making you look like a complete tool and therefore losing the respect of the entire division to quite possibly never regain it.

5. If you are wrong,be a man/woman and admit it in front of everyone instead of blatantly disrespecting everyone with your silence.

#4 and #5 Has happened recently on my division and the respect is gone forever....you sir are a complete idiot and nobody respects or likes you at this point
                            Leave Space Empty

Comment

Originally posted by Irishluck31 View Post
                              Cant lead from your desk, have to be out with the other cops.

HAHAHAHA..oh thats not even realistic where I am at

Sweet thought though
                              Leave Space Empty

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2905 users online. 232 members and 2673 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X