Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Second jobs...

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Second jobs...

    So I'm a rookie, still on probation an FTO. I need to get a second part time job...but I can't do any details until I am done with training.

    Any body got any good idea on where to go an what kind to look for? No way in hell am I delivering pizza's, I can't afford the gas!
    You have the right to remain silent, but apparently you lack the skill to exercise that right.

  • #2
    Phew !! Thats a tough question, first and foremost, check to see if your dept has any regs against second or part time jobs (paid details are not considered part time jobs), you also have to consider time restraints, do you work a regular shift ? Do you rotate days and nights ? Also, most LEO positions are on call 24/7, if not officially, then unofficially, take my word on that. Times are tough and income is usually on the lower end of the scale in LE especially in the beginning, hang in there if you want a career in LE. Stay safe out there.
    law dog

    Comment


    • #3
      Second Job

      Originally posted by D.o.D cop View Post
      So I'm a rookie, still on probation an FTO. I need to get a second part time job...but I can't do any details until I am done with training.

      Any body got any good idea on where to go an what kind to look for? No way in hell am I delivering pizza's, I can't afford the gas!
      Probably a dumb question, but does your department offer O/T?. Reason I ask is, my department, Alabama DPS restricts any O/T while an Officer is doing FTO. Private off-duty employment is tightly controlled, and limited to no more than twenty hours per week. Tremendous opportunities exist for O/T on highway construction projects, enforcement in highway construction zones, and extra enforcement,(much Federally funded) on holidays, "Click it or Ticket programs, etc. Don't blame you on the Pizza gig.

      Comment


      • #4
        i delivered pizza in college it wasnt a bad gig. i knew where all the drug houses were..

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
          i delivered pizza in college it wasnt a bad gig. i knew where all the drug houses were..
          Guess it would be a pretty good way to find out about them.

          Comment


          • #6
            hm.. the department's new Vice/Narcotics Unit... sponsered by Pappa Johns....

            Comment


            • #7
              don't you have extra jobs?? delivering pizzas I mean wtf!!???!!!

              there should be road jobs, bank jobs, escorts....hospital security...things that usually pay 25-35 or more bucks per hour. Or maybe that's just a Texas thang.
              Moooooooooooo, I'm a goat

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by JSD73 View Post
                don't you have extra jobs?? delivering pizzas I mean wtf!!???!!!

                there should be road jobs, bank jobs, escorts....hospital security...things that usually pay 25-35 or more bucks per hour. Or maybe that's just a Texas thang.
                I work for a 20 man department....when ever we do special details they pay s in comp time.
                You have the right to remain silent, but apparently you lack the skill to exercise that right.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Second Job

                  Originally posted by D.o.D cop View Post
                  I work for a 20 man department....when ever we do special details they pay s in comp time.
                  I know they're probably working on it, but so far, they haven't figured out how to tax comp time.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by JSD73 View Post
                    don't you have extra jobs?? delivering pizzas I mean wtf!!???!!!

                    there should be road jobs, bank jobs, escorts....hospital security...things that usually pay 25-35 or more bucks per hour. Or maybe that's just a Texas thang.
                    That's a bigger city thing. My last Agency was located in a town of 10K......

                    We got some school events that the campus needed help with, some stuff at the local HS, and that was about it......

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Wow, even in a 20 man department I would think there would be a bank job here or there...something...somewhere.....guess things aren't always as they should be for cops everywhere.

                      I hope you find some type of gig brother.
                      Moooooooooooo, I'm a goat

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Get a job delivering beer to grocery stores its a sweet gig!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Im thinking of getting a second job as well. Part time, make my own hours. It would be working with Mental Health clients....you have to spend three hours a week with them, take them out to get their groceries, make sure they're taking prescribed meds, help w/ laundry. That sort of thing. I can easily pick up a client or two on my days off. Plus the pay is like $14/hr (better than a typical part time job).

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by canadiancop View Post
                            Im thinking of getting a second job as well. Part time, make my own hours. It would be working with Mental Health clients....you have to spend three hours a week with them, take them out to get their groceries, make sure they're taking prescribed meds, help w/ laundry. That sort of thing. I can easily pick up a client or two on my days off. Plus the pay is like $14/hr (better than a typical part time job).
                            That is thinking outside of the box. I'm thinking about a second job (although I already am getting a retirement check from the military) but something for 'fun' cash. I was thinking about working on a foodline, ya know, short order cook. Yeah, the pay is probably from anywheres like $5-8 an hour, but hey, it wouldn't be my main stream cash flow. Something that keeps me busy but brings in some cash for beer or the sort. I've even thought about working for the local propane company painting propane tanks on the schedule I want. I guess it is all what you are working extra for.
                            I am a Native American of non-Indian decent.

                            Cleaning the pool, one gene at a time.

                            I'm on a 30 day diet. So far I've lost 15 days!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              A few years before I retired I started doing gardening work on my street. My neighbors were tired of their no speak english gardners. They were all impressed with my beautiful yard and how I took care of it. Within 2 months I was doing every yard on my street (13) which brought in about 1500.00 a month. I was on a 4-10 shift so it gave me plenty of time to do my gardening.
                              When I retired I continued to do gardening which I really enjoy. It gives me plenty of walking exercise. My neighbors call me the gardner with a gun.
                              Retired LASD

                              Comment

                              MR300x250 Tablet

                              Collapse

                              What's Going On

                              Collapse

                              There are currently 4421 users online. 249 members and 4172 guests.

                              Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

                              Welcome Ad

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X