300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back Up Weapons Policy

Does anyone out there have a backup weapons policy? We are trying to get approval to carry the Glock 27 as a backup with our issued Glock 22. If any department has a policy that we can take a look at I would appreciate it.
    Please send me a private message if you have something. Thanks in advance.

Steve
    "Players practice till they get it right, Professionals practice till they can't get it wrong!"

Don't think ours would help out much, I'll try and geta copy of it later on tonight and PM it to you. Ours only has a few lines about back-up/off-duty guns.

In a nutshell, it says if it's a back-up gun ONLY, then it just needs to be inspected by a firearms instructor and shown to be in good working order (ie. throw a few round down range). If it will be used as a back-up AND/OR off-duty gun, then you are required to complete the same qualification course as for our duty weapon.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Airforcop View Post
      Don't think ours would help out much, I'll try and geta copy of it later on tonight and PM it to you. Ours only has a few lines about back-up/off-duty guns.

In a nutshell, it says if it's a back-up gun ONLY, then it just needs to be inspected by a firearms instructor and shown to be in good working order (ie. throw a few round down range). If it will be used as a back-up AND/OR off-duty gun, then you are required to complete the same qualification course as for our duty weapon.
      Same here. Speaking of backups, has anyone tried a Kel-Tech? I got a .380 and a 9mm and I love them ugly little things. Head shots at 7yrds. no prob with the LITTLE .380
      "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms. . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. . . Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by j706 View Post
        Same here. Speaking of backups, has anyone tried a Kel-Tech? I got a .380 and a 9mm and I love them ugly little things. Head shots at 7yrds. no prob with the LITTLE .380

I have the .32 and like it well enough. Haven't shot the .380 but it's probably similar.
        If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

---Jack Handey

Comment

Our backup gun policy specifies that the weapon must be inspected by and registered with the department by the rangemaster, that it be of the same caliber as those weapons approved for primary duty use (9mm, .40 S&W or .45 ACP) or either .38 Special or .380 ACP. If either of the later calibers, the officer must provide his/her ammunition at their own expense. The weapon must be carried concealed and the officer must qualify on a (backup) course of fire under the supervision of range staff.
          "I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Comment

BUG policy

Our policy states a backup weapon must be of the same action as primary weapon (ie: DAO primary, DAO BUG; DA/SA primary/DA/SA BUG, etc.). It does not have to be same caliber but we are restricted with any approved weapon to 9mm, .40 SW, or .45 ACP. It must be carrried concealed in a holster (I carry my G27 in a pocket holster in my duty pants cargo pocket) and we must qualify with it on same course of fire as our primary duty weapon.
            Montana LEO
            'Where the prairie meets the mountains"

Comment

It would seem that backup weapons must meet departmental guidelines in caliber and type and that any weapon carried on/off duty or as a backup requires range certification as does the primary duty weapon. I have heard that some departments prohibit the carrying of backup weapons, to me, that is probably not a good policy. Stay Safe out there.
              law dog

Comment

Officers carrying back-up guns must have the weapon inspected and approved by the firearms training group. The weapon must be carried concealed in an approved holster that retains the weapon by snap, friction fit, or some other means. The officer must qualify on the standard qualification course with the weapon. This last provision tends to encourage officers to choose weapons such as the Glock 27.
                John from Maryland

Comment

My agency requires me to carry off duty if I'm within city limits. (Obviously we don't have to carry in bars)

I have a Keltec 380, but I prefer to carry the issued Glock 22 in a inside the pants belt holster. The Glock 22 owns the Keltec when it comes to accuracy at further distances, but..........the Keltec is damn small......its a toss up

Comment

Our dept policy for back-up/off-duty weapons requires that the weapon be of either .380acp, 38spl, .357mag, 9mm Luger, .41mag, .44mag/spl, or .45ACP. I think the policy is pretty old, because it makes no mention of the .40 S&W or the .357Sig.
                    We have a qualification that we have to fire in order to be allowed to carry the weapon. The policy was obviously intended for guys who carried S&W J-Frame's, because it requires fire 5 rds and then reload. The cousre consists of 30 something rds fired from short range, from some different positions like lying on your back, or on the move. I could probably get you a copy of the policy if you needed.
                    BTW, we have a similar qual course for Officer owned 12ga shotguns and AR's that are to be carried on duty.

Comment

We are issued G22's for duty and G27's as a back up. The only thing of intrest in the policy is that the BUG must be between .380 and .45 no magnum rounds. Thats the same for the duty weapon. Dont ask because I dont know why.

As far as the carry of the BUG, the qual is the same as the duty weapon, but our night fire is also the same as well. The policy say that the BUG must be carried in a holster, but its very vague. Matter of fact the entire policy is vague.
                      It takes a Wolf.......

Comment

Anyone here have a department policy that prohibits backup guns?

Comment

Our backup/second/off duty policy is .380 or larger, 5 shot minimum, gun must pass inspection by a RO, HP ammo only. BU/2nd must be concealed. Annual qual for BU/2nd/off duty is 30 rds.
                          Regular duty gun qual shoot is 4 times a year and averages about 200 rds per qual shoot, plus shotgun and rifle.
                          183 FBINA

Comment

Must not be visible to the "casual observer."

Beretta, Glock, or H&K Semi-Auto in .380, 9mm, .40, or .45. S&W revolver in .38 or .357. Must qualify with it at least semi-annually.

Once I get back to work so I can grab my Policy CD, I'll shoot you a PM with it. Unfortunately, I can't give you the Procedures for it.

ETA: qual is 15 rounds (varies from 3 to 15 yards)

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3806 users online. 144 members and 3662 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X