300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Too old for patrol?

Just noting the ages of three officers apparently LOD deaths over the last couple of days- Two in Texas (63 and 61 years old) and one in S. Carolina (61 years old) were working patrol at the time. What age should the max be? Should there be one? I'm in my early fifties and will retire soon, but I've heard of officers in their 70's who won't leave even though everyone says they should. Opinions?
    "I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

On the flip

On the flip side there are officers who are in their 40's or younger who are out of shape and shouldn’t really be on patrol either. I think it depends on the person’s abilities and limitations. Not necessarily on age.

Comment

Physical Standards

now we are tlking about fitness standards? Where do you set the level? What do you include? cardio,muscles,lung cap, cholesterol, bmi, bone density, hearing, vision, reflex, shoe size, maybe reproductive (if you can't beat 'em outbreed 'em )
      The true man wants two things: danger and play. For that reason he wants woman, as the most dangerous plaything

Comment

I don't think there should be an age limit as there is too much variance between individuals. I've worked with a fellow overseas who was in his early 60s that I wouldn't have wanted to tangle with, nor would I have wanted to be the one to tell him he was too old to do his job any longer.
        I miss you, Dave.
        http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

I don't think it's so much age as it is physical and mental ability and sharpness. I have seen late 20's officers so dang fat they are about to split their shirt down the middle. I have also seen late 50's officers who are so ripped they are about to split their shirt down the middle. I'd take the person who takes care of themselves any day, regardless of their age. But I know LACERA has a mandarory retirement age of 62 years when in a patrol capacity.

Comment

I totally agree with the above posts. I don't think these fallen officers were killed because of their age. GOD REST THEIR SOULS!!! Of course no one knows for sure yet about the SC incident, but the other two were sniped by a POS that didn't want to face them. As stated above, I have seen to many officers that can't hardly get out of the car and their gut laps over their duty belt and are only in their 20's.
            "In God we trust, all others we run NCIC"

Comment

There's a retired motor officer from my department- he maintains our department's gym. He's in the gym every day, and when it's not snowing shows up on his Harley.
              He's 81 and I'd be perfectly happy going into any situation with him.
              It's not about age, it's about what you're doing with your age.
              "The only means we possess to thank them is to try to be as good an American as they were. We might fall well short of their standard, but there is honor in the effort."

Comment

Too Old for Patrol

I was 62 when I retired, sixty four now. I had had tripple by-pass surgery six years prior to retiring. I was in better shape when I retired than I was 10 years prior. Since the original surgery, and one additional surgery this year (fine tuning), I still hit the gym four to five days a week. In addition to cardio-vascular work, I do the weight pile as well. Agencies that require retirement at a certain age, can probably quote all kinds of statistics as to why that's desireable. Still, it's hard to argue with the posts that noted the older guys still able to do what it takes. I'm comfortable in my retirement, as in I enjoy each day of it. That's me though.

Comment

I have to agree with most everybody else. I'd rather go to a violent domestic with a fit 60 year old than an out of shape 25 year old. It's all about how you take care of yourself.

Comment

This is a young man's job. If you're still on the road at age 55+, you are a hazard. By that age, you should be behind a desk, or shuffling papers.

And don't feed me the line that a 60 y/o is as good as a younger guy. MAYBE 1/1000 are, but they are few and far between. The same can be said for the 'fat kid' you are comparing him to. Of the guys my place has hired over the last 5 years, ONE is a fat slob that had a hook. The other 2 dozen have been in proper shape.

From what I've seen, at ages even earlier than 55, people tend to get set in their ways, fail to adapt, and retain a mindset that is unsafe and impractical in today's world.
                    What Delta said x2

Comment

Age is not a factor for the most part. A good example is my father, 72 years old in very good shape and strong as a mule with a brain that never ceases to amaze me. With age comes wisdom, something I see lacking with a lot of todays recruits. I see these college kids who a smart but can't fight their way out of a paper bag, zero common sense and scared of their own shadow. Not all, but a lot of them. It's the officer that makes them what they are, not the age.
                      "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms. . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. . . Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson

Comment

I'm a 51 year old rookie. I went through the academy when I was 50. No problem with any of the physical stuff. And believe me, there were MANY guys literally half my age who were getting their butts kicked by the regimen. One 26 year old recruit couldn't do more than 2 pushups without rivers of sweat coming off of him. Now that I'm out in the field, I more than hold my own with the young bucks. It's funny how often this old fart is the first one into the fray when it hits the fan. Hmmm. I gotta think more about that one.

I also have a friend on the force who is 55 years old. Believe me, he is at the top of my list of officers I want with me in a dark alley when it gets nasty.

Even though I have aches and pains that were most definitely not there in my 20's, it's mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter.

Aloha,

Bob Maguire
                        Honolulu PD

Comment

Originally posted by repm View Post
                          I'm a 51 year old rookie. I went through the academy when I was 50. No problem with any of the physical stuff. And believe me, there were MANY guys literally half my age who were getting their butts kicked by the regimen. One 26 year old recruit couldn't do more than 2 pushups without rivers of sweat coming off of him. Now that I'm out in the field, I more than hold my own with the young bucks. It's funny how often this old fart is the first one into the fray when it hits the fan. Hmmm. I gotta think more about that one.

I also have a friend on the force who is 55 years old. Believe me, he is at the top of my list of officers I want with me in a dark alley when it gets nasty.

Even though I have aches and pains that were most definitely not there in my 20's, it's mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter.

Aloha,

Bob Maguire
                          Honolulu PD
                          Good job Bob- I went thru last year at 44 yrs. old I was the oldest in the class. I know there were a few guys that had a new found respect for us older guys after DT week. I guess I don't have any aches and pains to speak of. Eye's? Up close is getting a little blurry. Nothing like a second career as a LEO. Don't show up them young guys to bad Bob. I don't mind and it don't matter!! PM me please.
                          "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms. . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. . . Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Well i'm sure to draw some flames but i think officers should be able to atleast be capable of basic assistance should they be needed if they are going to be allowed to work any kinda of beat.

talking that 1/4 mile run only 1 lap on most tracks without stopping in under a 1.30 min

ability and willingness to throw a punch etc.

Course I'mm be honost its kinda nice to show up on a call with a heavier guy on your side if your in confined area aka respondeding to a DV at a home cause weight does have its advantages.

Perfect world has one big guy and one fast guy in every car

Comment

Originally posted by PFL View Post
                              This is a young man's job. If you're still on the road at age 55+, you are a hazard. By that age, you should be behind a desk, or shuffling papers.

And don't feed me the line that a 60 y/o is as good as a younger guy. MAYBE 1/1000 are, but they are few and far between. The same can be said for the 'fat kid' you are comparing him to. Of the guys my place has hired over the last 5 years, ONE is a fat slob that had a hook. The other 2 dozen have been in proper shape.

From what I've seen, at ages even earlier than 55, people tend to get set in their ways, fail to adapt, and retain a mindset that is unsafe and impractical in today's world.
                              You are so wrong, even you don't agree with your own statement "PFL" Patrol For Life, do you plan on checking out early ? Or do you think if you are still on patrol at 55 you should be sidelined regardless ? WELL DO YA ? So many youngsters let their mouth write checks their behinds can't cash, older officers tend to handle most situations with words which end up where the perp actually thanks them for arresting him/her and everyone leaves the scene in good health, but in comes the young buck and the situation tuns bad where someone gets hurt, not me pal. Oh, and please define "proper shape", is that your definition of which there can be no other type of input, just LOOK good, right. Learn as you age and stay safe.
                              law dog

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4133 users online. 237 members and 3896 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X