300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Career Advice

I am a Deputy Sheriff in the state of virginia, I currently work in a city jail with a department that does not patrol the streets. We make pretty good pay but I want to do some work that I can sink my teeth in, something that will be different sometimes and in the jail this does not happen. I am 24 years old and have been a Deputy for 2 plus years and I have six years of military experience, two of them as a military police officer. I always wanted to work with the marshals but they never seem to be hiring. In my area my salary if 2nd only to a highly paid police department so like I said the pay is good but we have no step pay program so down the line the pay want look as good and to make rank you have to no someone. So what do you think I should do. My department hires just about anyone with a clean background I mean anyone, so your support staff is not the best. They limit us on training cause they fill if we learn how to use the batons or drive in high speed situations they would lose us to other departments but this is making us unsafe when we do go out and use our police powers to do part time of others things. So my question is do u think I should go for a police department or the feds. I want a challenge to help people and to fill like I am making a difference. To those who work the streets do u love it or do you just get up and make money for the family. I want to join a team where we can get out there and make some things happen, not change the world but let it be known in our town we are out there. We have only one life and if I sit here and wonder I will be waistin it so I take other people comments and experiences and I take that and shape which path I shall follow. I have been thinking of joining ICE but dont no to much about it, if anyone can help me on that please share. Any thoughts would be helpful, thank u and be safe
    Last edited by SERTDEPUTY; 05-20-2007, 12:27 AM.

What are you asking? Should you move to a regular police department? It's a tough question. I loved being a patrol officer. Larger departments do officer more to do. You have to decide what direction you want your career and life to go.

Good luck with whatever decision you make.

Sammy
    If I could keep one heart from breaking, I shall not live in vain. If I could ease one life the aching or cool one pain; or lift a fainting robin unto it's nest again, I shall not live in vain. Emily Dickinson
    www.samanthafund.com

Comment

Career Advice

Sounds like you're locked into a job with few options. My suggestion is for you to do some looking around. Perhaps at the Federal level. In your area, Federal agencies should be rather numerous. I'd also look into the Virginia State Police. Certainly, take a look at some of the city agencies around you. Believe it, or not, you can probably do quite a bit of research right here on Officer.com. Go to the home page . There are links to virtually state police agency, as well as numerous cities and counties. Take the time to do a little research. It could be very rewarding for you.

Comment

What should you do?

If you're not happy try and find something that will make you happy. I'd say go into a regualr pd but I'm biasd to being a street cop. At the very least look around and see what you're qualified for and what would be the best fit.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3121 users online. 149 members and 2972 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
        Working...
        X