Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crossfit

Anyone do it?

Need something to take my fitness to a higher level and I'm struggling on my own to make it happen. I always played sports when I was a yout and remember enjoying the competition and camaraderie of exercising with a group of people. My coworkers are all uninterested in joining.

Theres a few crossfit gyms in my area but the one I'm considering is owned by a vet and offers discounts for LE.

There is another one but the owners are two fatties which kind of bothers me. I don't understand how two people with unhealthy physiques can own a crossfit gym.

I've heard horror stories about crossfit and tbh the community is kind of cringy. However I'm open to it and wondering if anyone here has any good or bad experiences to share.

Honestly, I've always gotten a weird cult-like vibe from Crossfit. And, watching them exercise (especially lifting) at such a rapid pace with little regard for form seems to be begging for injury. It's also ungodly expensive compared to any other kind of gym membership in my area.

On the other hand, I've seen plenty of people get all kinds of ripped doing it.
    "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
    -Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

• Saluki89
      Saluki89 commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes throwing weight over your head for time bothers me. But the cardio aspect of it all is appealing.

Originally posted by Bing_Oh View Post
    Honestly, I've always gotten a weird cult-like vibe from Crossfit. And, watching them exercise (especially lifting) at such a rapid pace with little regard for form seems to be begging for injury. It's also ungodly expensive compared to any other kind of gym membership in my area.
    This......

Comment

Originally posted by Bing_Oh View Post

Originally posted by Aidokea View Post

This......
      I am going to agree with my colleagues above.

I think the crap they put their bodies through is going to add up and their "aging years" are going to be painful

To be fair , my idea of exercise is getting up off the couch to refill my water glass 3 or 4 times a night
      Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

I've never done it. I know of dozens of LEOs who ended up with work comp claims because of injuries incurred while doing CrossFit. The retort from other CrossFit people is always "they were doing the exercise wrong". Maybe true but then the evidence I've seen means it is pretty easy to do CrossFit wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by 9L81 View Post
          I've never done it. I know of dozens of LEOs who ended up with work comp claims because of injuries incurred while doing CrossFit. The retort from other CrossFit people is always "they were doing the exercise wrong". Maybe true but then the evidence I've seen means it is pretty easy to do CrossFit wrong.
          How do you get Worker's Comp for a Crossfit injury?

Comment

How do you get Worker's Comp for a Crossfit injury?
            When your employer pays you to work out and you get hurt while working out. Pretty common among Feds.

Comment

Originally posted by 9L81 View Post

When your employer pays you to work out and you get hurt while working out. Pretty common among Feds.
              Wow...

Comment

I know of several local agencies that pay their officers/deputies to work out as well. But in their case they may only be allowed to do so at the gym at the agency. That doesn't mean they can't do CrossFit movements while there though. Whether or not those people are covered by work comp for injuries incurred in that scenario, I don't know. I would think they are but that's just a guess.

Under federal law (FECA) Feds can even be covered when they aren't technically on duty working out if what they are doing is to further their fitness for their federal job. If their agency has their back they are covered. For example if someone is paid 3 hours a week to train and just happens to stick to a routine of 6 hours a week and its an established pattern and they train because they are part of some tactical team or whatever, and not because they are also an adventure racer on the side, their agency is likely to consider all their training as being "in performance of duty". Ultimately they are covered if their medical documentation concludes that whatever activity they described as cause of the injury was infact the cause of the injury.

You may be shocked to know that Feds who are not LEOs are often paid to work out for up to 3 hours a week. And yes, their injuries while working out are often covered under the FECA. The law is old and has not had any major updates since the 1970s. It is very generous. Far more than state work comp. Congress has been repeatedly asked to update it and has worked on it off and on for many years now but it's just not a priority so it never goes anywhere.

Comment

I'll be 50 this year and have a lot of miles on the clock. I can't do the high-impact workouts I used to do.

That said, I've done CrossFit and if my knees and shoulders were less worn out I still would be.

(To be clear, they were worn out by the Army... not CrossFit)

My routine used to be: CrossFit 3x/wk alternating with Bikram Yoga 3x/wk with one day (Sunday) off.

The thing with CrossFit is that it's a lot like shooting: Slow is smooth, smooth is fast. Muscle memory is developed by movement, not speed. Going too fast creates the wrong movement, which is learned as muscle memory and perpetuated.

Incorrect movements and form may not be noticed when you're starting out and things are light, but that can hurt you when things start to get heavy.

Make sure you take CrossFit slow, learn proper movement and form. Failing to do that is how people get hurt.

Other than that, go for it. Try the yoga too... you'll be amazed.
                  Last edited by tanksoldier; 02-12-2020, 03:20 PM.
                  "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

I was given a free month to a CrossFit gym from a buddy I work with. It came off as a cult and I didn’t feel any stronger than I did before. I think doing timed strength training is not a great idea for most because you’re more likely to sacrifice form to get the reps in this resulting in injury.

I know guys who are muscular from CrossFit, but I also know guys you injured themselves doing it.

As someone said above, slow is smooth, smooth is fast. If you’re going to try if, focus on form over anything else.

Comment

I use to do it daily but once I turned 40 I started getting serious injuries from it so I gave it up. My orthopedic surgeon says crossfit has been great for his practice. Its more of a sport as opposed to a work out plan. And there is the social aspect to it which I wasn't into. Now I just put on my headphones on and do my own thing. I do a lot of calisthenics and yoga. I have a pull up/dip station in my garage and a couple of kettle bells for Turkish get ups. I don't need anything else.
                      Last edited by SHU; 02-20-2020, 02:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tanksoldier View Post
                        Try the yoga too... you'll be amazed.
                        Mostly, I've just been amazed by yoga leggings, and what they communicate about the girls that are in them.

Comment

Mostly, I've just been amazed by yoga leggings, and what they communicate about the girls that are in them.
                          I thought that about Bikram for the first 2 minutes I tried it.

After that there was too much sweat in my eyes to see beyond my own yoga mat.
                          "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

Originally posted by tanksoldier View Post

I thought that about Bikram for the first 2 minutes I tried it.

After that there was too much sweat in my eyes to see beyond my own yoga mat.
                            I’ll never forget the time when I was a senior in high school and a buddy of mine was a freshman in college.

This was almost 15 years ago when “hot yoga” was a thing. He tells me that his college has free hot yoga sessions and there are ALWAYS girls to scope out and flirt with. We decided to try it out.

Within 15 minutes, we were so sweaty from the heat and we kept farting up a storm from all the poses so much that we actually were too embarassed to finish it out. We figured the girls in the class knew why we were in there and if they weren’t turned off by that, they were DEFINITELY turned off by our sweat and/or farts.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10715 users online. 339 members and 10376 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X