300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some security guards just erk me.....

Now I was a Federal Security Guard for 2 years before I was hired as a Police officer. At the time, I knew exactly where my authority stood, what I could and couldn't do, and even understood law, and therefore never even attempted to overstep my boundaries.

Also, the local commanders of the military bases have basically an "open door" policy with the local agencies, in which they like to extend courtesy to us by allowing us to transit the base (as many of them are in the middle of a major road, and going threw them cuts down on time traveled). Also, to add, I'm a military reservists.

So day number who knows of cutting through a base, one with contracted security guards at the gate, and I show up, properly present my i.d, and he leans so far into my POV that he basically is in the car with me.

He then tries to tell me that I cannot carry my firearm through the base, and that I cannot be in uniform while transiting the base. Also, keep in mind the jurisdiction on the base is concurrent (both local police and MP's have jurisdiction).

I swallowed hard for a moment, and reminded him of the fact that I am a sworn law enforcement officer, and that by denying me my side arm is a felony in this state, and am authorized to carry my firearm any where in the state, and on some federal properties.

He quickly backed down and allowed me to cut through, but it ****ed me off that a security guard would try to get one over on me, and I'm starting to see a trend here. The guy must have been 60 years old easy, and I'm just guessing that he's a wanna be that never could.

Anybody else had a somewhat similar incident?
    You have the right to remain silent, but apparently you lack the skill to exercise that right.

LOLOLOLOL! yeah had a security guard at a local hotel parking lot who tried to stop me from entering the lot when I was working plain clothes assignment,even AFTEr I I'ded my self.My partner and I were following a auto burg suspect and the "armed guard"(guy in his late 20s,with Sgt stripes ,the rambo fingerless gloves,extra everything on his sam browne and a GUIZZILLION belt keepers) told us we were trespassing!( funny ,he didn't see that thieving bum walk into the structure) My partner got p'q'ed and told him,"Arrest us then!" and we walked into the lot.He then called "911".well we found the burg suspect entering a vehicle on the 4th flr of this lot and hooked up the suspect red handed,then looked back to see this guard,his granpa aged "back up",and a unit from LAPD just laughing at this guy,then said to us"you're lucky we showed up or else they-the guards -were going to take you DOWN!!".

DoD,you have to realize that some of these people are marginally trained at best(like "super guard" I dealt with),some not at all-they work min.wage and are often told specific things to do and not do-these are often entry level jobs that require only the wearing of an ill fitting uniform and maybe an 8-16 hr state required class with open book testing(dishwashers and custodians are Better trained in their respective jobs).Problem solving and commuciations skills are often Not the best ability these folks have.Maybe the different states will one day wise up and require higher standards in contract security-but i doubt it........
    Last edited by DOAcop38; 05-12-2007, 07:01 PM.
    "we're americans ! We don't quit because we're wrong, we just keep doing it wrong UNTIL it turns out Right"...

Comment

It's not the lack of training on these folks part, but lack of common sense that aggravates me. I agree, they need a lot more training than what they get. I just don't get the Rambo types...and there "gung-ho" attitudes.
      You have the right to remain silent, but apparently you lack the skill to exercise that right.

Comment

Back in the 90's, we had a Colombian informant who was trying to set us up as drug smugglers with some of Pablo Escobar's people. My partner and I had checked him out of jail one Saturday, and were having him make calls from a pay phone of the lobby of a local office building.

The first two times we went in and used the phone and left, the security guard sitting at the front desk, looked up from his paper, and watched us, but didn't say anything. The third time we came back in and started walking toward the pay phones, he looked up and said, "Who are you guys with?"

Before we could reply, the informant said, "The Medellin Cartel". The guard just nodded and went back to reading his paper.

Comment

Security Guards

While I understand the current man power demands on the Armed Forces, I still don't approve of the use of contract security guards on military installations. Regular Military Police manning gates wouldn't seem to place that much of a demand on the base's MP unit.I'm not questioning an Officer's judgment in not arresting the clown for "Interfering w/an Officer, or similiar charge, but it's always a possibility. That's especially true in a non-military venue. It's been pretty well posted, but what a security firm manager looks for is "body's". He doesn't really care where they come from. or whether or not they're trained. If they're armed, that only adds to the "pucker factor".

Comment

Originally posted by PhilipCal View Post
            While I understand the current man power demands on the Armed Forces, I still don't approve of the use of contract security guards on military installations. Regular Military Police manning gates wouldn't seem to place that much of a demand on the base's MP unit.I'm not questioning an Officer's judgment in not arresting the clown for "Interfering w/an Officer, or similiar charge, but it's always a possibility. That's especially true in a non-military venue. It's been pretty well posted, but what a security firm manager looks for is "body's". He doesn't really care where they come from. or whether or not they're trained. If they're armed, that only adds to the "pucker factor".
            While this would be nice, its quite difficult, and the military as a whole is moving towards private security. First and foremost, manpower is a big issue, as MP's are in constant demand in Iraq. Also, when it comes to it, these private security guards are cheaper. Do I agree with it? No, I would much rather have trained military personnel guarding the bases, but I see more and more of that disappearing.

Comment

Originally posted by CGIS1 View Post
              While this would be nice, its quite difficult, and the military as a whole is moving towards private security. First and foremost, manpower is a big issue, as MP's are in constant demand in Iraq. Also, when it comes to it, these private security guards are cheaper. Do I agree with it? No, I would much rather have trained military personnel guarding the bases, but I see more and more of that disappearing.
              Agree with the thrust of your post. I do believe though, that if you lower the standards at one end of the equation, you pay for it at the other. Not to say a private contractor can't do the job, but he has to offer pay, benefits, and training in order to attract qualified personnel. The Armed Forces component that contracts it's entry security should write appropriate standards, especially for background, hiring, and training into the specs for the job.

Comment

Just a thought DOD...it could have been becuse you were in your POV. Now I know most Military bases will allow an On-duty Officer through in their cruiser, however not in their POV, even if they are driving to or from work. This Guard may not have known, but either he or someone needs to remind them of the policy, if it does state that a LEO in their POV may travel through, however I am not sure of many bases that will allow that, being that you are not on duty in your POV....other then that, good job not giving him a gut check!
                "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Comment

I had a guy walk up to me in the middle of a traffic stop and ask if I was going to be done soon because I was blocking the entrance to the minimart/gas station...and to top it off there were two entrance/exit points into the parking lot.

I just looked at him and asked if he was kidding. Then we kinda stared at each other for a few seconds and he backed off and went back to the front of the store and watched.

If the guy in the car came out shooting I should have used the guy for a shield.
                  RIP Sgt. Henry Prendes...EOW 2/1/06
                  RIP Off. James Manor...EOW 5/7/09
                  RIP Ofc. Milburn "Millie" Beitel...EOW 10/7/09
                  RIP Ofc. Trevor Nettleton...EOW 11/19/09
                  RIP Ofc. Daniel Leach...EOW 11/21/09

Comment

You typically get what you pay for when it comes to private security. That's why there is a vast difference between your average mall guard and your average Blackwater PSD guard.

As for private security on military bases, I did exactly that with DynCorp on an overseas installation. The majority of the guys were military with the remainder being 99% cops or prison guards. The military needs their MPs in the field and are so short they are training Field Artillery and the like for MP positions. I guess the military decided it was cheaper to hire us to fill MP slots and be able to sever ties once the need for us was over instead of increasing their manpower pool and dealing with medical/retirement/etc. for more MPs than they would need long-term. I don't think base security would have been any tighter with an all MP force than it was by using us.

Domestic security just doesn't pay as well so is unlikely to draw the most qualified candidates. There are some good guards out there, and some are great sources of information, but yes there are the tools out there who give their brethren a bad name.
                    I miss you, Dave.
                    http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

Originally posted by CruiserClass View Post
                      You typically get what you pay for when it comes to private security. That's why there is a vast difference between your average mall guard and your average Blackwater PSD guard.

As for private security on military bases, I did exactly that with DynCorp on an overseas installation. The majority of the guys were military with the remainder being 99% cops or prison guards. The military needs their MPs in the field and are so short they are training Field Artillery and the like for MP positions. I guess the military decided it was cheaper to hire us to fill MP slots and be able to sever ties once the need for us was over instead of increasing their manpower pool and dealing with medical/retirement/etc. for more MPs than they would need long-term. I don't think base security would have been any tighter with an all MP force than it was by using us.

Domestic security just doesn't pay as well so is unlikely to draw the most qualified candidates. There are some good guards out there, and some are great sources of information, but yes there are the tools out there who give their brethren a bad name.
                      Your post re: Dyna Corp is exactly what I'm saying. End of the day, you get what you pay for. Seems to me, the Services could use the same contract criteria domestically, that they use overseas.

Comment

Originally posted by irishlad2nv View Post
                        Just a thought DOD...it could have been becuse you were in your POV. Now I know most Military bases will allow an On-duty Officer through in their cruiser, however not in their POV, even if they are driving to or from work. This Guard may not have known, but either he or someone needs to remind them of the policy, if it does state that a LEO in their POV may travel through, however I am not sure of many bases that will allow that, being that you are not on duty in your POV....other then that, good job not giving him a gut check!
                        Keep in mind the jurisdiction is concurrent, so Deputy's have a tendency to use that base as a short cut too, whether on or off duty.

Comment

one of the local security guards at a convenience store that I stop in at has that "Rambo" mentality. He has a 12 inch knife mounted horizontally on the front of his belt in front of his gun.

He actually said to me "man, I'm gonna be a cop. We do the same job, but your get paid better."

I shook my head and walked away without saying anything.

Comment

I do a security job on the side, and it is the most easiest job I have ever had. I sit in a office trailer for about 6 hrs and the other 2 scanning out contractors. I leave my leo status outside. We have a 21yr old kid that takes it too serious and I told him to lay back or it would bite him the butt. The other day he got into an arguement witht Dir. of Security (were contracted) and they moved him to the midnight shift. Tried to tell him, oh well. But not all security officers/guards are that bad.

Comment

Originally posted by MattG View Post
                              I had a guy walk up to me in the middle of a traffic stop and ask if I was going to be done soon because I was blocking the entrance to the minimart/gas station...and to top it off there were two entrance/exit points into the parking lot.

I just looked at him and asked if he was kidding. Then we kinda stared at each other for a few seconds and he backed off and went back to the front of the store and watched.

If the guy in the car came out shooting I should have used the guy for a shield.
                              I can't tell you how many times that has happened to me! I want to ask them do you see and understand what i'm doing here!? I was doing a high risk stop, not a felony stop, but I knew the guy had warrants and suspended with knowledge/hibitual traffic offender. Well a lady drives up to my car and sits there trying to get my attention. I wave her off as in go away and she starts to get irrate. I get the guy out of his vehicle cuff him and put him in the back off the car at that time. She them is mad asking me if I saw the guy blow through the stop light!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6005 users online. 346 members and 5659 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X