Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Second guess Deadly Force Situation

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #61
    0044


    DEFENDANT MAY BE RELEASED ON HIS OWN RECOGNIZANCE TO THE U.S. MARSHALL ONLY. ORDER SETTING COURT DATE ISSUED.

    OR'ed to the US Marshals!! You gotta love that.
    Last edited by j706; 08-11-2008, 03:39 AM.
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms. . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. . . Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson

    Comment


    • #62
      OR'd to the Marshal? An oxymoron, like "jumbo shrimp"?
      "I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

      Comment


      • #63
        that's awesome

        Comment


        • #64
          Not sure where this case is. Government seems to have run into a snag with this case. It seems that they are unable to locate the case files on a few of this knuckleheads crimes. It could have a huge effect on his sentence. So much for the motto "Do gun crime Do hard time". Guess we will see but my confidence is wavering.
          "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms. . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. . . Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson

          Comment


          • #65
            When I started thinking this stuff over like this I was like you in wondering whether I was wrong for not shooting faster or whatever. Then I came to the realization that just because I am legally able to kill someone doesnt mean I have to. As long as it ends with the bad guy going to jail and no one hurt because of your actions you did fine.

            Comment


            • #66
              Originally posted by j706 View Post
              I have had a lot of officers say " man I would have shot him" don't know about everyone else but the last thing I want to do is shoot someone. I would, but I had rather not. We are not in the business of killing.
              I was involved in a shooting last year where I responded to shots fired, I encountered a suspect who had been smoking "sherm","wet", or "fry" whatever you want to call it and he was just in a backyard popping off rounds into the air. He pointed the gun at me time stood still while I yelled, "Police drop the fuc**** gun" as soon as I finished my last word I started shooting. I was on the east end of one backyard and he was on the west end of another backyard, it was dark with just enough light for me to see he had a gun. He kept the gun pointed towards me as he attempted to run as he crouched low at the waist. It was not a fatal shooting and he was hit in the lower extremities.

              I normally shoot perfect or darn near perfect scores on my firearms tests. Back in the academy I won a firearms award. Everyone started the rumor that I shot low because I was scared to kill him. They started saying "man you can shoot to well to have hit him just in the lower body, you must have been aiming low on purpose, Man I would have went center mass". I told them like this. I don't want to shoot anyone and have killed people in combat I'm not looking to kill people here at home also. I told them I aimed center mass as my body is trained to do in a combat shooting scenario if my rounds went low they went low. If he had been shot in the head and died, so be it, I was shooting to stop the threat, not kill, if he dies as a result of what I have to do thats on him, he did it to himself. I stopped the threat and went home that morning when I got off, he got shot and went to jail, ha ha, I win you loose. During the shooting investigation we found that he had shot twice at me with a S&W .40 after I opened fire on him. One round went through a fence post on a chain link fence about 5 feet from me. Given the height it would have been a pelvic and/or gut shot on me if I had been 3 steps to my left.

              I refuse to let myself 2nd guess myself. I think I'm good because I'v been through alot of shootings as an Airborne Infantryman with the 82nd in Iraq and A-stan. My first shooting ever in combat was a one on one deal and I remember it and the mans face vividly. It was A-stan on a mountainside we had been in contact the entire night and had to use fixed and rotary wing to keep our perimeter safe and also to keep the taliban hunkered down until day break (you don't want to attempt an assault in those mountains at night it's a death trap) the next morning as we started up the mountain, I spotted what I believed to be a scout or forward observer. We had been taking light mortar fire, but it was obvious they had eyes on us. Everything in that mountain range had been declared hostile. I saw a middle aged male walking from east to west up ahead about 100M he had an AK slung on his shoulder. I raised my M-4 put my M-68 red dot on him and pulled the trigger twice. He went down, as we approached him I shot him several more times to make sure he wasn't holding any exposive triggers or grenades. I second guessed the hell out of that shooting when I got home until gray goose and cranberry became my friend that would put it all into perspective for me. I second guessed was this guy really an enemy scout or was he just a farmer or herder. Then I relented to the fact that I was doing my job, I had clearance, and my superiors said there were NO FRIENDLY to our front. I followed what I was trained to do and that is where I stopped it at. Don't second guess yourself. You must believe in yourself that you did the right thing. you have to keep telling yourself you did the right thing.
              Ignored: Towncop, Pulicords, TacoMac, Ten08

              Comment


              • #67
                In 2003 me and my partner were ambushed by a coward as he sat inside his house while we approached on foot. The call was a Domestic. Before we had went on scene he went into his basement, put on a bullet proof vest along with a military style flack jacket, Loaded his SKS with a 30 round Magazine and a 9mm handgun with an extra mag. Me and my partner were both hit before we even knew WTF was going on. Luckily we fell back on niot only our training but a warrior spirit and decided we both wanted to live. We were able to take cover and return fire even though we were both wounded. Over 100 rounds of gunfire were exchanged before the calvary showed up.(those sirens were music to our ears) and being the coward he was when the rest of our gang showed up in full force he didn't want to play anymore and gave up..
                We must all always remain vigilant and never ever give up
                "I would rather live one day as a Lion, than a thousand years as a Sheep."

                Comment


                • #68
                  Originally posted by creolecop View Post
                  I normally shoot perfect or darn near perfect scores on my firearms tests. Back in the academy I won a firearms award. Everyone started the rumor that I shot low because I was scared to kill him. They started saying "man you can shoot to well to have hit him just in the lower body, you must have been aiming low on purpose, Man I would have went center mass".
                  There are studies/experts who claim that during actual combat, shooters' precision routinely degenerates by as much as 50% of their ability demonstrated during "routine" qualification/practice. In other words, a "100%" shooter (qualifying), might only hit his adversary with 50% of his shots fired during a real gunfight, or the rounds fired will be only half as accurate (covering a large area).

                  Don't pay attention to the armchair quarterbacks on your department. I'd guess that few (if any) of those idiots have even fired their weapons outside of the range. Second-guessing others or ourselves, is simply a means of trying to do better if you find yourself in the same, or a similar situation. It's a natural reaction, honed to perfection by those who must convince themselves every day that, "I'm too good to let bad things happen to me!"
                  "I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

                  Comment


                  • #69
                    Originally posted by kckpd756 View Post
                    In 2003 me and my partner were ambushed by a coward as he sat inside his house while we approached on foot. The call was a Domestic. Before we had went on scene he went into his basement, put on a bullet proof vest along with a military style flack jacket, Loaded his SKS with a 30 round Magazine and a 9mm handgun with an extra mag. Me and my partner were both hit before we even knew WTF was going on. Luckily we fell back on niot only our training but a warrior spirit and decided we both wanted to live. We were able to take cover and return fire even though we were both wounded. Over 100 rounds of gunfire were exchanged before the calvary showed up.(those sirens were music to our ears) and being the coward he was when the rest of our gang showed up in full force he didn't want to play anymore and gave up..
                    We must all always remain vigilant and never ever give up
                    Glad you are your partner are still here with us. What did your guy get as far as sentencing?
                    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms. . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. . . Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson

                    Comment


                    • #70
                      creolecop, Sounds like you have the experience. Based on what you wrote on the Afgan incident, for what it is worth,I would have also most defiantly shot the guy too. No one in their right mind would be out walking around an area like that armed unless they were insurgents and or fighters.

                      There is not even one single little bit of doubt in my mind, if someone needs shot to stop them from doing whatever,I will shoot them in a heartbeat. I hope I never have to but the decision is theirs not mine.

                      As far as marksmanship awards,kind of like you, in my first academy (Reserve Academy) I took first out of a class of twenty five. During my later basic class I took second out of seventy five. The second place hurt because I got beat by a cigarette (Excise) cop by one shot. I shoot at least once a week most of the time. It is relaxing to me and I just enjoy it.
                      Last edited by j706; 04-07-2009, 12:36 AM.
                      "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms. . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. . . Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson

                      Comment


                      • #71
                        I'm just seeing this old thread for the first time, so I know it's belated, but... Great job. I have no doubt you did exactly the right thing by disarming him. Your mind did all the calculations necessary to realize that you could more easily attempt to disarm than you could back up and fire before he could. I'm glad you're safe.

                        Please keep us informed about the cases!
                        "Well I'd lock him up for what we know he did, and then throw in a few extra years for what he probably did." ~Hank Hill

                        "Why do you need to carry a gun? There aren't any bad people in this town..."

                        Comment


                        • #72
                          Originally posted by Ten-32 View Post
                          I'm just seeing this old thread for the first time, so I know it's belated, but... Great job. I have no doubt you did exactly the right thing by disarming him. Your mind did all the calculations necessary to realize that you could more easily attempt to disarm than you could back up and fire before he could. I'm glad you're safe.

                          Please keep us informed about the cases!
                          10-4 will do..thanks
                          "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms. . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. . . Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson

                          Comment


                          • #73
                            its only natural to be mad, scared, angry etc.


                            you did right, any time there is a gun other than yours involved and no one got shot its a good day.

                            having a military background sometimes forget that i have other options on my belt, overseas all you have is a long gun and maybe a crappy sidearm.

                            you could have shot him, and you would have been justified, but you were able to disarm without having to do so, so your golden.

                            im guessing it was hard not to toss him a good monkey stomping as you "disarmed" him, Adrenalin and anger wells up along with fear and you have to watch yourself, breathe deep and rely on training, just as you did.

                            good job bro.
                            In the end we're all just chalk lines on the concrete drawn only to be washed away, for the time that I've been given, I am what I am. I'd rather you hate me for everything I am, Than have you love me for being something that Im not

                            Comment


                            • #74
                              Originally posted by Mstangfk View Post
                              its only natural to be mad, scared, angry etc.


                              you did right, any time there is a gun other than yours involved and no one got shot its a good day.

                              having a military background sometimes forget that i have other options on my belt, overseas all you have is a long gun and maybe a crappy sidearm.

                              you could have shot him, and you would have been justified, but you were able to disarm without having to do so, so your golden.

                              im guessing it was hard not to toss him a good monkey stomping as you "disarmed" him, Adrenalin and anger wells up along with fear and you have to watch yourself, breathe deep and rely on training, just as you did.

                              good job bro.
                              Once he hit the asphalt and got his breath back he told me "I'm cool man"! Once he was secured and my backup arrived I did walk away for a while due to being agitated. I was more concerned about saying something that wouldn't sound to good than anything else. I believe he knew he had missed his chance.
                              "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms. . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. . . Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson

                              Comment


                              • #75
                                Originally posted by j706 View Post
                                Once he hit the asphalt and got his breath back he told me "I'm cool man"! Once he was secured and my backup arrived I did walk away for a while due to being agitated. I was more concerned about saying something that wouldn't sound to good than anything else. I believe he knew he had missed his chance.
                                i understand, its hard to hold your tounge sometimes, esp after a adrenaline dump.

                                "you dumb mother#$#$% you think you can pull a gun on me you sorry piece of $%^&, i should have put 2 in your chest and one in your cereal bowl you stupid f$%^.


                                or something of that sort.
                                In the end we're all just chalk lines on the concrete drawn only to be washed away, for the time that I've been given, I am what I am. I'd rather you hate me for everything I am, Than have you love me for being something that Im not

                                Comment

                                MR300x250 Tablet

                                Collapse

                                What's Going On

                                Collapse

                                There are currently 5495 users online. 340 members and 5155 guests.

                                Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

                                Welcome Ad

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X