300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More stress or less pay?

Just wanted to know if anyone had ever taken a pay cut to move from a "bad" department.

Without getting into too much detail, I'm under an extreme amount of stress at my current department...pretty much all of it related to internal issues and much of it focused directly on me personally. I know the environment is having an effect on me, both personally and professionally. I still like doing my job and have a few years left before I hit minimums for retirement, so the "golden handcuffs" are firmly affixed. Another local PD is hiring, but the pay cut will be pretty significant (at least $6/hr).

Has anyone ever had any personal experience on taking a pay cut to get away from a less-than-ideal department? Any input on this is appreciated.
    "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
    -Friedrich Nietzsche

Start looking...................with your experience you will find another agency

The close agency with the significant pay cut would be an appropriate move if their salary would support your lifestyle.........

I had 5 yrs to go when I was put in a position that was nearly untenable ................I looked at leaving but decided in the end to stick it out. That was probably a bad decision..but it worked out
    I don't know what I would do if I had the decision to make again
    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Take the pay cut.
      "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

Leave the gun.
        Take the cannoli.
        Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

• Bing_Oh
          Bing_Oh commented
          Editing a comment
          When I hit retirement age, I fully intend to do just that!

Sit down and do the math. Can you afford the hit financially? Will the move hurt your retirement? If the math works out and you can swing it, then you have to start asking about the other agencies issues. No place is perfect. But if you can make it with less money and put up with the new agency's issues and your reduced seniority, days off etc, then I say do it. Stress is a killer and no job is worth your health. Good luck.

Comment

$6.oo an hour is a 12,500 pay cut...............do the math
          Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

Comment

Originally posted by SHU View Post
            Sit down and do the math. Can you afford the hit financially?
            I can survive the pay cut, but the extra pay at my current agency has afforded my wife and I the ability to do things that we have been putting off for some time (home repairs, larger vacations, etc). It's a tough pill to swallow when you've put a significant amount of time and effort into an agency and finally made some progress, only to be in a spot where you're looking at taking a step back to save your sanity.

Will the move hurt your retirement?
            Unfortunately, yes, it will almost certainly lower my final retirement payout. I would be in the same retirement system, but the calculations are based on the highest 6 years of employment (and I'm certainly in that high 6 years right now at my current department).

If the math works out and you can swing it, then you have to start asking about the other agencies issues. No place is perfect.
            This is another concern. There are rumblings of internal issues there, but a friend inside indicates that they may not be as bad as some people are making them out to be. There's also no union protection (something that has saved me several times against unwarranted discipline at my current department).

But if you can make it with less money and put up with the new agency's issues and your reduced seniority, days off etc, then I say do it. Stress is a killer and no job is worth your health. Good luck.
            I know the effects of stress and know that I'm experiencing them in my current position, otherwise I wouldn't even consider the move. Therein lies the rub...do I stay with the evil I know or run the risk with unknown? Can I slog out another 5-6 years till retirement? Probably. Do I want to? Hell no. Is it a "from the frying pan into the fire" move? Well, that's an unknown...it would at least make the decision easier if I knew for sure that the other department was all sunshine and lollypops.
            "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
            -Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

No union? Forget it. They can terminate you at ANY time.
              Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Originally posted by Bing_Oh View Post

I can survive the pay cut, but the extra pay at my current agency has afforded my wife and I the ability to do things that we have been putting off for some time (home repairs, larger vacations, etc). It's a tough pill to swallow when you've put a significant amount of time and effort into an agency and finally made some progress, only to be in a spot where you're looking at taking a step back to save your sanity.

Unfortunately, yes, it will almost certainly lower my final retirement payout. I would be in the same retirement system, but the calculations are based on the highest 6 years of employment (and I'm certainly in that high 6 years right now at my current department).

This is another concern. There are rumblings of internal issues there, but a friend inside indicates that they may not be as bad as some people are making them out to be. There's also no union protection (something that has saved me several times against unwarranted discipline at my current department).

I know the effects of stress and know that I'm experiencing them in my current position, otherwise I wouldn't even consider the move. Therein lies the rub...do I stay with the evil I know or run the risk with unknown? Can I slog out another 5-6 years till retirement? Probably. Do I want to? Hell no. Is it a "from the frying pan into the fire" move? Well, that's an unknown...it would at least make the decision easier if I knew for sure that the other department was all sunshine and lollypops.
                Pay cut, reduced retirement benefits, potential internal turmoil at the new job, no union... don’t do it.
                I make my living on Irish welfare.

Comment

• PeteBroccolo
                  PeteBroccolo commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I agree with my learned friend. Try to find ALMOST ANYTHING (hint: NOT alcohol, other intoxicating / stupefying substances, gambling, or marital infidelity) that will help you keep your mind, body, and soul, as well as marriage, healthy, safe, and sound, while toughing it out to the pulling-of-the-pin / golden-handshake.

Originally posted by CCCSD View Post
                No union? Forget it. They can terminate you at ANY time.
                Originally posted by reils49 View Post

Pay cut, reduced retirement benefits, potential internal turmoil at the new job, no union... don’t do it.
                Depends on just how bad the stress is........................................

I was perfectly ready to pull the plug on my state pension early at 22 yrs. I chose to keep working and building my retirement but the stress involved really worked on me. My wife was much happier at retirement (27 yrs) than I was.........she did NOT like the person I became those 5 yrs

In the end it was worthwhile & my pension now makes my life very comfortable

Only YOU know the breaking point

Comment

• Bing_Oh
                  Bing_Oh commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That sounds like a mirror-image of me right now...

I get job stress and misery, trust me police work in a left wing state comes with headaches unknown in other places. But I wouldn’t risk my security. Just my 2 cents.

Do what you can to get by. Take more vacation time. Take a few sick days. Grind on. Then take your pension and leave. That’s what I learned after recently sitting through several classes on criminal justice reform... and it’s only getting worse.
                I make my living on Irish welfare.

Comment

Originally posted by reils49 View Post
                  I get job stress and misery, trust me police work in a left wing state comes with headaches unknown in other places. But I wouldn’t risk my security. Just my 2 cents.

Do what you can to get by. Take more vacation time. Take a few sick days. Grind on. Then take your pension and leave. That’s what I learned after recently sitting through several classes on criminal justice reform... and it’s only getting worse.
                  This isn't about "the job." I've been around the block enough times to know how to deal with that...the job doesn't even phase me anymore. This is personal. I have an admin who has made it clear that they're willing to headhunt (they already took a serious try and were not happy when they got spanked at arbitration). Now it's a combination of trying to set me up again (imho...then again, maybe I'm just paranoid) and dumping on me constantly. I can't stand going to work most days and I hate feeling that way about a job that I always wanted, worked hard to get, and know deserves my best.
                  -Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

• reils49
                    reils49 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I get that too. But I still wouldn’t risk the move.

It sounds like you are in a real bad spot with your current job but the other job you are considering doesn't sound that great either. As a chief union steward myself, have you considered becoming a steward on your job? What does your CBA say about retaliation for union related activities? It sounds like you already have a paper trail going with your arbitration. Union reps often have even greater protections on the job and sounds like you could use all the protection you can get on your current job. I'm serious about this. You would be in a much better position from your management's campaign against you as a union man.
                  Last edited by SHU; 10-06-2019, 01:09 AM.

Comment

Now it's a combination of trying to set me up again (imho...then again, maybe I'm just paranoid) and dumping on me constantly. I can't stand going to work most days and I hate feeling that way about a job that I always wanted, worked hard to get, and know deserves my best.
                    Set up to fall like a bowling pin by a manager with a personal beef. I know EXACTLY what that's like. I had no union protection, no ombudsman, no nothing except HR, which is the same as having nothing. Upper management was totally indifferent about situation. Dysfunctional too... second level supervisor was alcoholic who killed a pint of vodka by noon and the only thing he cared about was the monkey on his back. I was totally hanging in the breeze...

Eventually I hated the job I always dreamed of. I hated everything about it. That's how poisonous it became.

I got the F outta there and never once, not for a second, regretted it.

If you have the opportunity to go somewhere else and start anew with a clean slate, go for it. The money difference is nickels on the dollar.

I used to be a banker but I lost interest.

-Steven Wright

Comment

Originally posted by SHU View Post
                      It sounds like you are in a real bad spot with your current job but the other job you are considering doesn't sound that great either. As a chief union steward myself, have you considered becoming a steward on your job? What does your CBA say about retaliation for union related activities? It sounds like you already have a paper trail going with your arbitration. Union reps often have even greater protections on the job and sounds like you could use all the protection you can get on your current job. I'm serious about this. You would be in a much better position from your management's campaign against you as a union man.
                      Interesting that you would suggest that. I was a union steward for several years (two contract negotiations under my belt). My lack of popularity with the administration actually stems, at least in part, from my time as a union steward. It’s complicated, but it has to do with an unsuccessful criminal investigation of a supervisor where I recommended that the officer report the (felony) violation to the prosecutor.

I voluntarily stepped down as union steward a couple years ago because my effectiveness was being negatively affected by the poor relationship I had with the administration. I didn’t want the personal issues they had with me hurting the membership.

I have a strong paper trail if anything were to take a hard turn south (like termination), but that’s a level of stress I’d rather avoid if at all possible...let’s just say I have a “nuclear option” if it comes to that, but it would be messy for everyone.
                      -Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11572 users online. 447 members and 11125 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X