Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you use the slide stop as a slide release?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Large muscle memory. Your arms will remember your training and be able to function. Our training taught us the first thing we lose in the huge adrenaline dump in a shoot/no shoot scenario is fine motor skills, i.e. being able to use our thumbs on a slide lock.

Handover technique only.
    Invisible cows control my mind.

Comment

Glock recommends NOT slamming the slide forward using the slide stop lever to chamber a round and definitely not in dry fire mode, could damage the weapon and you should never have to load a round during a confrontation, it should be there at shift start.

STay Safe
      law dog

Comment

Originally posted by saxyjc View Post
        Tap, rack, ready...right norwhich? it looks cool to do the slide stop push, thats why you see it in the movies.
        Haha...it does look cool..and someone else said about the "gross motor skill" comment..damn, you got me believing that! No one ever says anything about the mag release..you can always press that..

Comment

Tap and rack is the best and most reliable way to get the round in the chamber. It's not just gross motor skills, but also muscle memory at work there.
          Carpe Noctem

Comment

That depends on the situation, no?

From my point of view, the slide release is there for using it, so I don't think that is going to damage my gun. I usually rack my gun when I have to chamber the first round, but I press the slide release when the chamber stands open after emptying a mag. Other example of using slide release is when I get a double feeding malfunction because I can't get out the mag because the round is catched by the mag libs and the feeding ramp (I don't know if this explanation is clear, maybe I must attach a picture), so I have to pull from the slide to get it catched with the slide retention (I have to push up it when the slide is rearward). Then I get out the mag. If I am in the range I could use my nail to get out the brass from the chamber, then I can put in the mag again and press the slide release to feed a round and continue firing. But the faster way to do that is by pressing the slide release to let it go and then rack twice or more; then you put a fresh mag and rack again to get a round in the chamber.
            In summary, I use slide release depending on the situation, but I think that if it is that possible using slide release is faster than racking the slide, besides, I don't need to use two hands, just one finger.

(I am using a Walther P99 for more than 5 years)

Comment

Originally posted by SA13 View Post
              I used to buy into that "gross motor skills" comment too. But a firearms instructor once pointed out to me the slide release on my gun is bigger than the mag release button, and no one ever comments that I won't be able to mash that little button during a fight. No one ever comments that I won't be able to move the trigger finger independent of the other fingers during a fight. The reality is mashing the slide release is no more or less a gross motor skill than working the trigger or hitting the mag release, AND using the slide release is faster than doing a slingshot.

Do whatever is more comfortable for you, but I now train to use the slide release.
              I couldn't agree with you more!!! I have heard the fine motor skill argument before and found it lacking. This is good point and explanation. I agree that whatever works best for you is acceptable.

Comment

For some reason, my issued Glock 22 has always released its own slide whenever a full magazine is seated into it with the normal force during a reload. I never had it checked out because I kind of like it like that. But, on those rare occassions it doesn't go forward on its own, I hit the slide release.

I use the slide release on my AR as well.

Comment

Two fingers, grab the rear of the slide and let her fly. Back into action in no time.
                  Only the dead have seen the end of war! PLATO

Comment

Originally posted by Group 29 View Post
                    For some reason, my issued Glock 22 has always released its own slide whenever a full magazine is seated into it with the normal force during a reload. I never had it checked out because I kind of like it like that. But, on those rare occassions it doesn't go forward on its own, I hit the slide release.

I use the slide release on my AR as well.
                    Glock are designed to do that when loading a fresh magazine if enough force is used, but it is not safe to use the slide release. Glocks are not designed that way or for that use and you do run the risk of damaging your glock in the process.
                    sigpic

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Comment

Originally posted by NorwichGrad05 View Post
                      The way I was taught in the academy was 4 fingers over the slide and pull it back...since you have only gross motor skills during a confrontation...pressing the slide release is a fine motor skill and you may not be able to do it...
                      Ditto. My Glock usually slides back on its on when I ram a fresh mag in...if not I rack it. Even in low stress situations I have a hard time thumbing the slide release.
                      RIP Sgt. Henry Prendes...EOW 2/1/06
                      RIP Off. James Manor...EOW 5/7/09
                      RIP Ofc. Milburn "Millie" Beitel...EOW 10/7/09
                      RIP Ofc. Trevor Nettleton...EOW 11/19/09
                      RIP Ofc. Daniel Leach...EOW 11/21/09

Comment

yes, but do as I say not as I do....
                        Peace by power

Comment

Originally posted by Smurfette_76 View Post
                          Glock are designed to do that when loading a fresh magazine if enough force is used, but it is not safe to use the slide release. Glocks are not designed that way or for that use and you do run the risk of damaging your glock in the process.
                          Sorry, but that's urban legend nonsense. There is absolutely no evidence that using the slide release/stop to drop the slide will damage a Glock.

Comment

Muscle Memory

It's all about muscle memory. If you train and train and train, it'll be like then when you're not training and you're on the two-way firing range. Do what's comfortable for you, and do it the same way all the time, and you'll be good to go.
                            I personally use the slide release. I find it easy when I drop my magazine with my non-firing hand, grab a new one, bring it up, slam it in, and hit the slide release with my thumb. But that's just the way I train.

Edit: Oops, forgot this was the "Sworn LEO Only" area, won't happen again.
                            Last edited by JTShooter; 05-20-2007, 10:30 AM. Reason: Bad SA
                            “The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed."

"You go for a man hard enough and fast enough, he don't have time to think about how many's with him; he thinks about himself, and how he might get clear of that wrath that's about to set down on him."

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2829 users online. 125 members and 2704 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X