Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you use the slide stop as a slide release?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Do you use the slide stop as a slide release?

    I stole this pole off another website, just curious to what LEO's do.

    I always pull back and let the slide fly forward because that's the way I was taught in the academy to clear jams and it stuck.
    103
    Yes I use the stop as a release
    30.10%
    31
    No I pull back and let it fly forward(slingshot)
    57.28%
    59
    A bit of both
    12.62%
    13
    Last edited by lionheart45; 05-09-2007, 01:54 PM.

  • #2
    The way I was taught in the academy was 4 fingers over the slide and pull it back...since you have only gross motor skills during a confrontation...pressing the slide release is a fine motor skill and you may not be able to do it...

    Comment


    • #3
      Tap, rack, ready...right norwhich? it looks cool to do the slide stop push, thats why you see it in the movies.

      Comment


      • #4
        I use the slide stop to drop the slide. But then I carry an HK, and it's easy to reach and I train that way. Easier and quicker than pulling it back. I wouldn't do it with a glock, because they are specifically designed to not be used to drop the slide. Reason #532 I dislike glocks.
        Get low, get ground, get tactical! Sprawl! Sprawl! Sprawl!

        Comment


        • #5
          When we carried the SW 5906 anchor edition, that's how we were trained use the slide stop. But on that gun it's designed as a release. Since we went to Glocks we train to rack. It wasn't that hard of a transition and it makes more sense since that is what is done to clear a malfunction.

          I was a Glock hater too for no good reason. Then I was forced to carry one and now I'm in love.

          Comment


          • #6
            Slingshot mostly

            Originally posted by lionheart45 View Post
            I stole this pole off another website, just curious to what LEO's do.

            I always pull back and let the slide fly forward because that's the way I was taught in the academy to clear jams and it stuck.
            The older smiths are the exception, the 2nd generation and third the ones with 4 numbered model numbers, ex: 4006,5906, Smith actually request in the manual you use the slide stop as a slide release as well because a great deal of the rotating safety levers are mounted on the actual slide so you dont inadvertently pull the safety down when using the method you speek of which I call the Slingshot method. Most all striker fired modern guns and to include the tradition double action ones like the Sigs 229,228,226,220 and all the Double action only Beretta's In my opinion do well with the slingshot method. Sig actually reccomends it. The agressive nature of pulling the slide to the rear to put the gun in battery insures good compression and extension of the guide rod springs on most firearms. I train people not only to grab the slide like a slingshot but while you grab with the nonshooting hand to use the hand you are holding the gun with to assist in going forward into your shooting position so you arent doing it all with one hand. This technique helps with speed at getting rounds down range and especially the weaker handed females who have issues in this area. I was trained that way with the 1911 Colt when i was a jarhead also and it works for me.
            "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The MARINES don't have that problem." ....Ronald Reagan

            Comment


            • #7
              Another note, when I was an infantry machinegunner and carried the 1911 as a sidearm the other reason we trained in slingshot while moving gun holding hand towards the target is because we had to carry our pistols in condition two which in the military is loaded magazine with empty chamber. Its also like someone said in here better for gross motor skills versus finding the slide release to munipulate in a hot situation. But there is a slight difference in the slingshot method versus "Rack and let fly" method. Slingshot is very much a quicker fashion if practiced.
              "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The MARINES don't have that problem." ....Ronald Reagan

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Nightshift va View Post
                The older smiths are the exception, the 2nd generation and third the ones with 4 numbered model numbers, ex: 4006,5906, Smith actually request in the manual you use the slide stop as a slide release as well because a great deal of the rotating safety levers are mounted on the actual slide so you dont inadvertently pull the safety down when using the method you speek of which I call the Slingshot method.

                That makes all the sense in the world. It is highly probably that the decocking lever would be rotated to the safe position.

                I just tried it as I elected to buy the anchor since it was my first duty weapon. It can be done but it isn't practical. The decocker makes it slower and uncomfortable.

                Comment


                • #9
                  I carry a Glock, so the slide stop is a slide stop. It was designed to be flat against the gun so it wouldn't be used a slide release. We train to use the C-clamp grip over the top of the slide - rack it and release.
                  Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

                  I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by nobody33 View Post
                    I use the slide stop to drop the slide. But then I carry an HK, and it's easy to reach and I train that way. Easier and quicker than pulling it back. I wouldn't do it with a glock, because they are specifically designed to not be used to drop the slide. Reason #532 I dislike glocks.
                    Although I think that H&K's are the best around, they are not made to use the slide stop. Also, like someone else said, using the slide stop is a fine motor skill and you'll remember the gross motor skill in a confrontation. I dont like Glocks because they are ugly (it's a girl thing).
                    Dont think of it as losing, think of it as being beat by a girl!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      It depends on what I'm shooting but for my duty weapon (H&K USP) I use the slide release. I'm a lefty and can hit it pretty easy with my trigger finger without having to change my grip too much. On my Glocks I rack the slide because it seems to be harder to use the slide release.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Just made the switch, six months ago, to a Glock 21.

                        Taught to pull it back with four fingers and let is fly...however...on reloading a fresh mag, I usually slap the incoming mag up the well, hard enough, that the slide racks a round and closes on its own, allowing me to fire.
                        "You're never fully dressed without a smile."

                        Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.

                        Three things I know for sure: (1) No bad deed goes unrewarded, (2) No good deed goes unpunished, and (3) It is entirely possible to push the most devoted, loyal and caring person beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Kieth M. View Post
                          Just made the switch, six months ago, to a Glock 21.

                          Taught to pull it back with four fingers and let is fly...however...on reloading a fresh mag, I usually slap the incoming mag up the well, hard enough, that the slide racks a round and closes on its own, allowing me to fire.
                          I've found out like Kieth that when doing a tactical reload, I find it easier to slide the magazine in and 'tap' it in with my support hand hard enough to make the slide go forward. I've found that I get about 2-4 seconds on the guy next to me. I hold the exchanged magazine while I am ready to shoot, then when I have the time I put it in a safe spot or the magazine holder.
                          I am a Native American of non-Indian decent.

                          Cleaning the pool, one gene at a time.

                          I'm on a 30 day diet. So far I've lost 15 days!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I'm changing my name to : Lovesaglock...love 'em love 'em love 'em. And it's a no-no to use to slide lock to release it. I will admit to making the mistake ONE time and my other half (a firearms trainer and glock armour) about fell out in the floor... LOL
                            sigpic

                            I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by NorwichGrad05 View Post
                              The way I was taught in the academy was 4 fingers over the slide and pull it back...since you have only gross motor skills during a confrontation...pressing the slide release is a fine motor skill and you may not be able to do it...
                              I used to buy into that "gross motor skills" comment too. But a firearms instructor once pointed out to me the slide release on my gun is bigger than the mag release button, and no one ever comments that I won't be able to mash that little button during a fight. No one ever comments that I won't be able to move the trigger finger independent of the other fingers during a fight. The reality is mashing the slide release is no more or less a gross motor skill than working the trigger or hitting the mag release, AND using the slide release is faster than doing a slingshot.

                              Do whatever is more comfortable for you, but I now train to use the slide release.

                              Comment

                              MR300x250 Tablet

                              Collapse

                              What's Going On

                              Collapse

                              There are currently 4349 users online. 312 members and 4037 guests.

                              Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

                              Welcome Ad

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X