• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Filed for retirement today...

That is all...

Originally posted by Aidokea View Post
    That is all...
    Congrats on making to the end buddy. Enjoy it...

Comment

• Aidokea
      Aidokea commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you.

I plan to.

Congratulations! Now you can travel, take the wife shopping and mow the yard anytime you feel like it!
    If your biggest work-related fear is getting a paper cut, don't try and tell a cop how to do his job.

Comment

• Aidokea
      Aidokea commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you.

We got most of our traveling done just recently, while I was still making good money before retirement.

We have done several absolutely epic month-long bucket-list trips to Europe with all the trimmings.

Our first trip included dinner in the Eiffel Tower, cruising around Rome on a red Italian Vespa Scooter, Oktoberfest in Munich (in costume), picking up my wife's new custom-ordered BMW Track Pack car at the factory, driving through Liechtenstein, driving over the Swiss Alps, touring Lamborghini, Ferrari, Maserati, Pagani, Ducati, and MV Agusta, several days in Venice, back up through Austria into Germany, a horse-drawn carriage ride up to the world's most famous castle for wine and desserts, touring Porsche, driving over 150mph on the German Autobahns, taking turns driving her car around the Nurburgring at triple-digit speeds, and an $860 cab ride for my wife in a Porsche GT3 RS race taxi driven around the Nurburgring at speeds of up to 200mph by the most famous racing driver there (Sabine Schmitz).

For the second trip, we did England, Ireland, Northern Ireland, Scotland, and two weeks on the Isle of Man for the TT races, to include lapping the course at triple-digit speeds, two-up on our big-bore rental Ducati.

Europe is like Disneyland for grown-ups.
      Last edited by Aidokea; 09-01-2019, 12:10 AM.

Loved that day...................................

You won't regret pulling the plug

Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

• Aidokea
      Aidokea commented
      Editing a comment
      I haven't regretted it since even before I did it.

I always figured the final day would be cinematic but it really wasn't. Just another day, then some goodbyes.

Congrats. Your blood pressure will soon be dropping 20 points.
    Be Smart. Be Safe. Be Lucky.

Comment

• Aidokea
      Aidokea commented
      Editing a comment
      My blood pressure is already good.

I'm not looking for any emotional parting- I'll just be thankful when it's a done deal.

Originally posted by Ratatatat View Post
    I always figured the final day would be cinematic but it really wasn't. Just another day, then some goodbyes.

Congrats. Your blood pressure will soon be dropping 20 points.
    Nobody that I worked with really knew it was my last day. I took 2 months of vacation and then retired while still on vacation .

My last day was just another day

I didn't even want the reception that follows retirement.
    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

Comment

I didn't even want the reception that follows retirement.
      The reception/party situation actually became a small dilemma in the preceding weeks. My options were:

A). Don't have anything. Just walk away, like Johnny Utah does after tossing his badge in the ocean in Point Break.

I seriously considered doing this, mainly because I'm not one for fanfare when it comes to big life events. The only reason I went to my wedding was because my fiancée (now wife) told me I had to. I definitely don't plan on being at my funeral reception. It's not that I am shy or uncomfortable being center stage; it has more to do with humbly recognizing I'm no big deal, and this event isn't worth being made into a big deal.

B). Official ceremony at monthly management meeting.

This involves getting all dolled up and attending the next manager's meeting in stiff shoes and hair gel. A high level bureaucrat (who typically wouldn't acknowledge any of the proles when passing in the hall) reads a submitted biography and then someone takes a handshake photo. I would be Agenda Item #22, between #21: the fuel budget, and #23: discussion about how to discipline people not showing up for mandatory defensive tactics training. After the meeting, everyone in attendance enjoys a piece of cake from Piggly Wiggly before returning to their desks and re-immersing themselves in important paperwork.

I said no to this option right away.

C). Reserve the patio deck at the nearest haunt from 5-7pm and invite everyone for a drink and some laughs.

Open to whoever can make it.

D). Just show up at the nearest haunt on the last day with a small group of invite-only friends.

This was my first choice, but it got complicated when deciding who to invite. If you don't invite so and so, then they hear about it later, well that kind of renders a negative final impression on your way out the door.

I ended up going with Option C. About a dozen folks showed, and a handful who couldn't make it called beforehand with well wishes. There was no pomp and circumstance; just a few trays of greasy finger food and some toasts during funny stories. Over and done with in a couple of hours.

It was perfect.
      Last edited by Ratatatat; 08-31-2019, 01:05 PM.
      Be Smart. Be Safe. Be Lucky.

Comment

• Aidokea
        Aidokea commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm planning option E). Imbibe in a few adult beverages with my bride at home alone, and then fulfill our marital obligations to each other in a really enthusiastic manner.

Maybe option A). first...
        Last edited by Aidokea; 09-01-2019, 12:11 AM.

I am not a social person. The job was just that .......a place I worked to make money to raise my family and eat. There were MAYBE 3 people I worked with (we had 400 employees at our faculty ) that had been in my house I maybe that many whose house I had been at during the 30 yrs I worked there.

Ours was a reception given by the agency usually about 2 pm in the faculty visiting room with a cake and coffee . All the local brass show up and the secretaries (since the VR is right next to the office pool), and any officers on duty or off duty if they want to show up. Sometimes area or central office people show up for Supervisory staff ( I was) especially if they had worked with the retiree. I had spent quite a bit of time at the Central office working special projects for the Security Director ,who tried to stay away as much as he could.

Normally family of the retiree are allowed to attend as well as off duty staff and even retired staff if they wish . The state supplies a plaque with dates of service, a document signed by the Governor thanking yo for your service and a mantel clock made at the prison wood shop (I am looking at the clock right now and seeing I have to change the batteries.....it's only been 9 yrs)

I had not worked during the light hours for 15 yrs and never seen the brass come to see anyone on our shift and I wasn't coming in just to see them.

The Captain that relieved me that morning knew it was my last day and said something but that was all the recognition I got.....and yes all administrative staff KNEW it was my last day of work and also that I was NOT going to have a reception

I had an argument with the head of personnel who told me I had to come in and be on the clock for an hour or so to retire.................I told her it wasn't in policy . She argued. I then told her to show me where..................she was unable to find it (because it wasn't there)

On my last official day I came in at 1800 which was after ALL day shift was off duty and turned in my issued equipment to the 2nd shift Captain. He gave me a box with the stuff mentioned above and I was about to walk out with it when the Warden showed up ................We shook hands and I left 10 minutes in and out.

I heard later that the Captain put me on duty for 15 minutes to satisfy the gal from personnel but I don't know that for a fact.

My wife had came in the last morning as I was getting off and took photos of me coming out the sally port that last time so she was happy. She put the trinkets they gave me up on the wall ............but in a place I rarely see them

I have been back to the faculty 3 times in the 9 yrs since I retired AND it is located directly across the street from where I work now. Twice it was to pick up a prisoner for court and once to talk to the personnel office about insurance after my wife and I adopted our grandson

If it makes any difference................I never went to other people's receptions either
      Last edited by Iowa #1603; 08-31-2019, 05:07 PM.

Comment

Congratulations.

Comment

• Aidokea
          Aidokea commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you.

Congratulations.........time to just enjoy life.

Comment

• Aidokea
          Aidokea commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you.

Congratulations! Enjoy your retirement.....

Comment

• Aidokea
          Aidokea commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you. I intend to enjoy it.

I never had a retirement from the PD. Here's your creds, give us our stuff back, don't let the door hit you in the ***. NO exit interviews, never saw a deputy chief or the chief. Chief did buy me my old duty weapon, only a buck.

Now, when I retired from the local EMS agency, they had a dispatcher announcement, then switched over to Tac so everyone could call me to say bye. They also threw a big bash at a local Yardhouse, and a lot of cops, firefighters and medics came by to eat and say bye.

23 on the cops, 40 volunteer fire and EMS o n a combo dept, p.us worked for a local hospital EMS agency and ED.

Usually why I re commend fire over the cops if you ask me.

ANYWHO, CONGRATS ON MAKING IT TO THE END! RETIREMENT IS GREAT!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Aidokea View Post
          That is all...
          How long until the actual date, and do you work up to that date, or are you burning off leave until then?

I submitted my papers 2010-10-14, then worked a desk to create / up-date files for my Unit until 2010-12-29, when I walked out. by myself. Went back the next night for coffee and turn in my gun.

My clerk invited members and civilians to the local Legion, my wife arranged for my Mom to fly in for the event, and I was presented with a framed set of badges on a mini-horse blanket (I NEVER rode a nag, either for patrol NOR tours, but still nice) about 1 month later. I also received a hand-painted badge on a chunk of rock.

I received congratulatory certificates from my Division Commanding Officer and the Prime Minister. I still get to wear my 2 dress uniforms, and also have a Vets Assoc uniform (that I had to buy). My badge was returned to me encased in an acrylic paper weight. My unused leave plus severance leave were moved to a tax-deferred retirement savings plan.

Congratulations, and your choice of cannonball, elegant Olympic dive, or gingerly walking into the retirement pool, but the water is VERY comfortable!
          #32936 - Royal Canadian Mounted Police - 1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29
          Proud Dad of #54266 - RCMP - 2007-02-12 to date
          RCMP Veterans Association - Regina Division member
          Mounted Police Professional Association of Canada - Associate (Retired) member
          "Smile" - no!

Comment

Originally posted by PeteBroccolo View Post

How long until the actual date, and do you work up to that date, or are you burning off leave until then?
            The end of this month, and no I'm not working.

Congratulations, and your choice of cannonball, elegant Olympic dive, or gingerly walking into the retirement pool, but the water is VERY comfortable!
            Thank you, brother.

Comment

• PeteBroccolo
              PeteBroccolo commented
              Editing a comment
              I HIGHLY suggest you find something that you ENJOY doing, so you have SOMETHING to do.

I had about 2 weeks off, then was invited to be a Communications Officer / Front Desk Clerk / Dispatcher, casually, for the Municipal PS in my town; they used my Force's records, so that part was ok, but I HATED 12 hour night shifts, and found piloting a desk BORING!

I had 3 months off, then was hired by G4S (STOP LAUGHING, YOU JERKS!) as a Site Supervisor for an unarmed contract of 18 Security Guards at a steel plant just outside of a city my wife and I have considered moving to. I was there for 7 months, with a 81+ minute commute for Oct & Nov, then Apr, while I stayed during the week, and sometimes over the weekend, Dec to Mar, watching another retiree's home while he & his wife were in TX for the winter. The commute was straight driving, and somewhat boring, given the lack of traffic. The stay-over was in case the winter was bad, which it was not. While my wife MAY have enjoyed my being away, I HATED it, as well as the commute, plus trying to manage staff.

My Mom getting the "C" diagnosis gave me an honourable out, but my wife wanted me to keep busy, so I have held NUMEROUS full- or part-time jobs in the town where I retired, leaving when managers or co-workers no longer seemed to me to be worthwhile working with.

I hold several casual-paid, and volunteer, positions in my town, including uniformed ceremonial duties for my Force. The duty I hold dearest to my heart is straightening out the old guys at coffee row - there are several, but I choose the 10 am local cafe senate, and the 3 pm McD's parliament.

• Aidokea
              Aidokea commented
              Editing a comment
              I already have something I ENJOY doing- I married her 18 years or so ago.

My final 6-1/2 years were spent as a small town police chief. Call-outs several nights every week. Seemed like I was always hiring and training new people, then watching them go elsewhere for better pay & benefits. I never had a vacation and frequently went several months at a time between days off. With city council elections every 2 years I survived 3 changes of administration, and multiple vendettas by council members.

When I retired I vested my pension plans and started a business, then spent the next 20 years working 7 days per week. Constantly hiring, training, and firing new people. No days off, no holidays, no vacations.

When I finally retired for good and sold the business it took me about a year to adjust mentally. Being able to sit still, read a book without interruption, take a fishing charter in the Gulf of Mexico, rent a cabin on a lake for a week or two, travel across several states for a grandson's high school graduation, play with the great-grandchildren, or just sit around the club playing poker and enjoying a few adult beverages.

I guess I was a slow learner. There is a lot more to life than working. I put away well over a million bucks, then found myself an old man with osteoarthritis, joint surgeries, cataracts, COPD, skin and colon cancer (fully recovered now).

Congratulations on your retirement. Try and enjoy every day!

Comment

• Aidokea
              Aidokea commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks for the kind words.

My situation does not involve numbers as big as yours, but I expect to retire at age 56 without osteoarthritis, joint surgeries, cataracts, COPD, skin cancer, or colon cancer.

When we were in Europe, we saw so many broken-down old American tourists, dragging giant suitcases on and off of various European transport methods not designed for giant suitcases- it looked like torture. I am so thankful that we were able to do our Europe trips in good physical condition, with just two little assault packs.

• PeteBroccolo
              PeteBroccolo commented
              Editing a comment
              Holy crap, man, we should have formed a posse, swooped in, beat you silly with a pool noodle, and dragged you off to the local VFW Hall for a few bumps until you SWORE, in blood, to skip paragraph 1 & 2 and go straight to #3 above! Dumb ***! LOL!!

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4774 users online. 190 members and 4584 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X