300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most ridiculous arguments in traffic court

Last edited by MIDeputy; 01-03-2011, 01:51 PM.

Traffic Court

I can understand your frustration at the stupidity so often displayed by "motorists". It can be fantastic entertainment though. Some of the best, and funniest, theatre I've ever seen, has been in traffic court. What made it even better was I was getting O/T.

Comment

The first thing that comes to mind is the idiot who told the judge they didnt see me so thats why they were speeding. They told the judge I must have been hiding. Oh wow that went over well I didnt have to say a word the judge had a good time with that one. Oh and yes by the way GUILTY!
      "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6

Comment

I had a woman in traffic court who I had stopped for a stop sign violation complain that I sped up behind her very quickly and scared her with the siren!

Then there was a guy that told the judge that he didn't think the ticket was valid because I followed him onto the freeway and city cops aren't allowed on the freeway! LMAO!

Comment

No one is responsible for their actions anymore...just ask them, it's always someone elses fault they violated the law.
          Last edited by Silvershield; 05-08-2007, 05:07 PM. Reason: Deleted Words
          I Peter 2:13 “Submit yourselves to every ordinance of man for the Lord's sake: whether it be to the king, as supreme; (14) Or unto governors, as unto them that are sent by him for the punishment of evildoers, and for the praise of them that do well.” Visit 10-4 Ministries

Comment

Not traffic court but once in city court I had a guy argue that the ticket I wrote him for going around a railroad barrier was worthless because no trains ever go thru that crossing the track is closed and anyone who lives in that town knows that.

The judge actually bought it because I testified to the absence of a train at the time of the violation, reduced it to a stop sign violation to save him the points, fined him $75.00 instead of $319.00 then withheld judgment after he paid cash in court.

3 months later the same guy was hit by a train at the same crossing and killed.
            "I neither approve or blame. I merely relate."- Voltaire

Comment

Originally posted by JSandi View Post
              Not traffic court but once in city court I had a guy argue that the ticket I wrote him for going around a railroad barrier was worthless because no trains ever go thru that crossing the track is closed and anyone who lives in that town knows that.

The judge actually bought it because I testified to the absence of a train at the time of the violation, reduced it to a stop sign violation to save him the points, fined him $75.00 instead of $319.00 then withheld judgment after he paid cash in court.

3 months later the same guy was hit by a train at the same crossing and killed.
              i hope his/her honor knows this. if not, you should point it out someday.

i just lost a dwi 2nd in court. the defense's argument: the field tests were failed because he didn't understand english (this after he declined a spanish interpreter in court because his attorney said the defendant speaks english). then the judge admitted a valid breath test showing a .09 BAC and disregarded it. afterwards, i held the prosecutor back from his flip out and near contempt charge. whatever.

another good one i just had. i already got a ticket for that so you can't give me another one. Ummm... sign here. Thanks.
              Last edited by MFP4073; 05-08-2007, 06:20 PM.
              The sheep pretend the wolf will never come, but the sheepdog lives for that day.

Comment

In General Sessions Criminal Court, a man was charged with DUI & Evading Arrest. His attorney argued that the defendant was not trying to evade but that his impairment due to alcohol prevented him from hearing the siren or seeing the lights .

In Traffic Court, a woman tried beating a ticket by claiming the ticket was invalid because he (the officer) had the direction she was traveling wrong on the ticket.

Both Defendant's were found Guilty.

Comment

I cited a guy for Failure to Yield to an Emergency Vehicle, fire truck (the hose jockeys LOVE when you do this!!). The truck, rolling code 3, had to slam on it's brakes and placed the siren speaker in the driver side window of the car, siren ON! You all know how effing LOUD those things are from 200 feet, imagine IN YOUR OPEN WINDOW! No collision, but it was CLOSE!

The idjit argued in court 1) the section didn't apply to him, since he was at the intersection first (this one got a laugh out of the judge), and 2) he didn't hear the siren or see the lights (this one got a guffaw out of the judge!). He lost.

Comment

Originally posted by MFP4073 View Post
                    i hope his/her honor knows this. if not, you should point it out someday.

i just lost a dwi 2nd in court. the defense's argument: the field tests were failed because he didn't understand english (this after he declined a spanish interpreter in court because his attorney said the defendant speaks english). then the judge admitted a valid breath test showing a .09 BAC and disregarded it. afterwards, i held the prosecutor back from his flip out and near contempt charge. whatever.

another good one i just had. i already got a ticket for that so you can't give me another one. Ummm... sign here. Thanks.
                    That makes me have a little hope that a lawyer cares about even the small stuff. Wish we had those here.
                    Space for rent .........

Comment

Originally posted by Silvershield View Post
                      No one is responsible for their actions anymore...just ask them, it's always someone elses fault they violated the law.
                      THAT is probably my biggest complaint about the way society has been going!

I don't recall any recent noteworthy excuses, although something good happened last month. I was sitting in the "audience" in plain clothes waiting for my case when another officer I know was finishing her case. The mom of the defendant was sitting behind me. Her son was found responsible for both tickets. When the officer was getting ready to leave, she looked at me and gave me a wink. I think maybe the mom thought it was directed at her, and she said aloud, although sort of under her breath "b****!". The officer was walking out and again, and louder "f****** b****!". That time, the magistrate (female) heard her. I'm sure I had quite a surprised look on my face, lol. The magistrate obviously was quite excited and asked the woman if she had something to say to the court, to which she replied no. They went back and forth a few times and the woman ended up walking out, although I was hoping to hear the words "contempt of court"...

Comment

Coming into the city on the four lane divided highway, the speed limit drops from 55 to 45 to 30, so of course everyone is pushing the limit when they come into the city. Set up radar there all the time. Stopped one female one day for 55 in 30. She takes it to court and asks me "Do you remember what lane i was in?" I recalled that she was in the left hand passing lane. She then asks do you remember if there were cars in the right hand lane? I recalled that there were cars in the right hand lane. She replies, See I had to speed up to get passed those cars so I could get into the right hand lane before the stop light so I could make the right hand turn at the intersection. GUILTY. The best though is:

Judge: "Officer, you may begin your testimony"
                        Officer: "On such and such date...observed defendant fail to stop for stop sign...."
                        Judge: "Defendant, do you wish to ask the officer any questions regarding his testimony?"
                        Defendant: "No"
                        Judge: "Defendant, do you wish to give any testimony?"
                        Judge: "Guilty"

Comment

As a rule police in SA dont carry fine books but some of us myself included have been on traffic course and been issued fine books.

My best moment is stopping some 18 year old in a merc who jumped a stop street, when I kakked him out. He sarcastically asked me what am I going to do about it, write him a ticket.

When I said yes and pulled out the fine book he nearly wet himself, he actually started crying. Telling us his dad will kill him.

We gave him nice collection as we went ove r the car with a fine toothed comb.
                          If you run, you'll only go to jail tired

Comment

Originally posted by JonMcD1980 View Post
                            The best though is:

Judge: "Officer, you may begin your testimony"
                            Officer: "On such and such date...observed defendant fail to stop for stop sign...."
                            Judge: "Defendant, do you wish to ask the officer any questions regarding his testimony?"
                            Judge: "Defendant, do you wish to give any testimony?"
                            Judge: "Guilty"
                            He who represents himself, has a fool for a client.

Gotta say though, defendant's acting as their own attorney is some fine entertainment.

Comment

I wrote a citation to a speeder in a school zone. 40 in a 20. At court, he testified to the judge that the reason he was speeding was because he didnt see any kids.

GUILTY

I had a defendant representing himself for a speeding ticket. The cross-examination went something like this....

Def: "So officer, you said you verified my speed using radar?"
                              Me: "Yes. You were dong 45 in a 30."
                              Def: "Radar units do break down sometimes and fail, don't they?"
                              Me: "Maybe. I dont know. They are machines."
                              Def: "So what is the failure rate on radars?"
                              Me: "I dont know."
                              Def: "You mean you dont know the failure rate?"
                              Me: "No."
                              Def: "Are you sure?"
                              Me: "Yeah, Im sure. I dont know."

Basically, the guy was mounting his defense on the hope that radar units could be shown to be defective on a regular basis and didnt bother to research it himself.
                              GUILTY

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5796 users online. 316 members and 5480 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X