300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Resigned

Here I set with a few bud lights in and I am thinking about my decision. I just resigned my position today and God what a tough call. I have lived here most of my life but I moved away for college. This was an extended trip and so much happened that I honestly believe I CHANGED. I think that I can not go back to my home. I have been a police officer for over 4 and had the unique opportunity to patrol the streets in my hometown. However after much deliberation I believe that my best interest is to move on and become a part of another community. This is a difficult decision and God knows that I have wrestled with this. My family lives here and I have friends that I have known since I was 5 years old. However I believe this is the best choice for my family. (Me and me Wife) I know that I will never advance much farther if I stay and that is not acceptable. I meet with my Sheriff today and gave the final word that I was moving on. However I need support in that a made the right decision. I am going to a great department in the state but feel uneasy in my decesion.
    I believe that I am a good police officer but the political **** became too much to bear. I am from a small community of 30000 but we stay so busy due to the drug problem. I guess I just need support and belief that I am going to a larger department and that you can establish a new HOME after so many years. For a bet of info Wife is OK here but wants to go home and all I want is to be a COP. I am so tired of politics but hope this is a small department issue instead of law enforcement in general. (10 Officers) I am not young enough to change to many more times and hope this is HOME. However I thought that was the case when I bought this place. Sorry for the drunk ramble but I just need to know that I will be ok.

It doesn't sound like you're just walking away from the stinky-stuff...but, rather, that you're walking toward the better stuff.

That's what healthy people do, change their problems for a better set of more manageable problems.

Although, I am a bit confused...perhaps due to your drinking, not mine (see profile )...your wife is okay with the move to the new place, right?

I think all will be well, for both you and her...but please re-post when the headache wears off, tomorrow, and let us know how you're feeling about the move.

Get some sleep!
    "You're never fully dressed without a smile."

Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.

Three things I know for sure: (1) No bad deed goes unrewarded, (2) No good deed goes unpunished, and (3) It is entirely possible to push the most devoted, loyal and caring person beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t.

Comment

Sounds to me like you know what your doing. Don't second guess yourself. Good luck with the new job and let us know. I did a somewhat of the same thing. I worked 25 years in a good paying construction field. I hated every minute of it. I moved into fulltime LEO last year and love it. I felt the same way you are now. It will work out.
      "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms. . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. . . Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Four years isn't a whole lot of time invested in one place. If you're gonna get, better to do it now.

I made two lateral moves, and was scared to death each time. But guess what, no worries, everything worked out ok. If you did your homework, like I did, everything will work out for you too
        "Think like a man of action, act like a man of thought" ~Henri Louis Bergson

ComptonPOLICEGANGS.com

Comment

Law Enforcement is politics. That's a way of life and you have to get over it. If you love being a police officer or Deputy Sheriff...love the people you work with. That's the only way you'll make it. Be friends to those you work with....

Those that can and will screw you...keep them close.

But know this. Those you least expect to back you on a tough call...will drive the brakes off their car to save your ***.

I learned that someone I thought was an ********* was only hard to read.

I was in a tight spot and he made it to me just in time. He got to the scene and fought like he only had one goal...making sure those with badges made it out alive.
          I commented that he made it first on scene yet he was furtherest away.

His reply was "you need me to drive that fast, you want me to drive that fast, I will always drive that fast to save your ***".

He's now one of my best friends.. We talk everyday. He's right, I need him to drive that fast, I want him to drive that fast, and I will always fight to the end to save A Law Enforcement Officer's ***....

Have your own mind. That same person that drove 140mph to help me is now a great friend but he makes bad choices with chain of command. He's been in law enforcement for 20 years and has done pretty much everything from THI to motor patrol and CIB yet he was dumped right back into patrol.

Being f'd by the agency still hasn't taken it out of him that he still loves the job.

That's all you can ask for...even after all the f'ing...do you still love the "job"?

Comment

Changes in life, even the good ones, are stressful. You'll be OK as long as you understand that you'll NEVER fully escape politics and the BS that goes with it. Moving to a larger agency should ensure that you have less politics or that the politics will be less obvious but I assure you it'll still exist.

When I was younger I joined the military as an M.P. in part to escape small town politics (and help the resume'). Guess what... even Uncle Sham's Country Club is moved by politics. Strange that there's not a single piece of paper that exists documenting the fact that the Provost Marshall's stepson was arrested on felony drug possession. Hmmmmm...

The problem isn't that there are problems. The problem is that we ever expect that there won't be any problems. Be prepared, adapt, overcome.

Good luck! You'll be fine.

Comment

Moving on isn't easy.

I moved from the suburbs of Chicago to rural SW Kansas about 2 years ago. I was worried about the move but it has turned out to be the best thing I ever did careerwise. I love the job here and while I am not as busy as I once was, I can still get out and mix it up looking for something to do (yeah, I am still young and dumb).

I say give it a chance. It will be different but I am sure you and your family will enjoy the move. Good luck and stay safe.
              "It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who have died. Rather, we should thank God such men lived." ~ General George Patton

"It is from numberless diverse acts of courage and belief that human history is thus shaped. Each time a man stands up for an ideal, or acts to improve the lot of others, or strikes out against injustice, he sends forth a tiny ripple of hope." ~ Robert Kennedy

Comment

Resigned

Moving on is never an easy choice. Good luck in the new job. Stay safe.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3165 users online. 191 members and 2974 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X