300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Success stories as Lateral Officer to a different agency

I've been employed with my current agency for going on 3.5 years now. I like my department, for the most part, and enjoy working with the officers there. However, I very much dislike southern Nevada. I'm not a fan of the desert, the summer heat, the lack of rain, the no snow, the over-crowdedness, the constant construction, the HORRIBLE education system and so on and so on. I want to relocate my family to a nicer part of the country. I probably wouldn't be able to do this for another 2 or 3 years (because my wife has obligations here until then) so that would put me at almost 7 years with my current department when I decide to lateral transfer to another department.

Has anyone put that much time in with their department, and then left to go to a different agency? How did it ultimately go? Success story or no? The only thing that bothers me is the seniority that I will lose and have to start over at the bottom. But to me, that is still worth going through to get my family to a nicer part of the country with a better quality of life and better schooling options for my kids. Just wanted to come on here and see what sort of success stories are out there with guys/gals that lateraled to a different agency. Thanks!

I had sixteen years in with an agency. Fifteen years were good, but then along came a psycho boss from hell and I was outta there faster than a dropping from a sick goose.

Sooo… at age 40, there I was, in another effing academy... in another FTO program... on probation for a year.... learning a whole new agency's way of doing things... once again the new guy. It was a huge gamble with huge stakes. I had mouths to feed and a mortgage.

And it was the smartest thing I've done in my adult life, other than marrying my wife. I fit in well in my new circumstance. I focused on the job and kept my head down. I was humbler and smarter as a result of the experience. Ten years have gone by now and I haven't had two bad days in a row.

My advice? Follow your gut instincts and do what is best for your family and you'll have no regrets.

Convictions, in the end, they can be dangerous. But a world without them is just kind of an awful, gray, amorphous mass.

-Bono

Comment

• CaliMan35
      CaliMan35 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the reply. I started late, only been on for 3.5 years and I'm almost 35 so by the time I up and leave I would be damn near 40 anyways. Did you lateral to a completely different state or did you stay in state? I'm guessing since you didn't mention anything about location you stayed in state and just transferred to a different agency within that state. Either way, I'm glad everything has worked out for you. My gut instinct tells me to get the hell out of here. It's funny you mention being in another academy. That is the one thing I really DO NOT want to do.

I'm doing my research and I'd say 80% of the departments I'm considering out of state don't require laterals to attend their full academy (only an accelerated academy) however some of the larger departments which I am interested in still require laterals to attend a full academy which is very disappointing. I know I could get through another academy if I had to and in the long run it would be worth it because it would be 5 months of hell for another 20 years of my career but that's just something I'll have to decide on once I make the move.

I’ve never, nor do I plan on making a lateral, so I can’t offer anything on that. But I have been married for a while and have kids. What I can give you is this: keep the wife happy and do the best you can for your kids. If that means moving, and becoming the new guy for a while, do it. Or if it means staying put and hating the desert, do it. Everyone’s situation is different.

As for seniority, I wouldn’t get hung up on that. Sure, working overnights and holidays suck, but sooner or later you come out ok. Think about it like this: is losing seniority by lateraling to greener pastures any different than losing seniority by promoting? I would argue it’s the same.
    I make my living on Irish welfare.

Comment

• CaliMan35
      CaliMan35 commented
      Editing a comment
      The most important thing for me is my family and the way southern Nevada is going, I think it's best to get them out of here and to a nicer safer place. My wife agrees as well. You are right about the seniority...it might suck for a year or two but eventually I'll get some new people under me and I'll fall right back into place.

A friend left my former department to go to the much larger county police after nine years with us. She would have been vested with ten years, but she was so desperate to escape the harassment and bullying she was experiencing at the hands of the in-crowd and frustrated with our agency's primary mission (competing with the county), that the move was worth it to her.

After three years on the county, she is highly respected by peers and superiors, serves as an FTO (denied her at the city), and is serving a temporary assignment in detectives. She's making effectively the same money she was at the city. Her only regret is that she didn't make the move sooner. I have frequently heard that from former city officers now with the county.
    John from Maryland

Comment

In the last 3 yrs we have poached 4 officers from neighboring agencies ................................and we are very happy with them
      Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Glad to hear the positve stories. I wish I could move sooner. If the wife told me tomorrow "I'm ready to go as soon as possible" I would be applying that same day. Unfortunately I have to hang around for another 3-4 years until her obligations here are done and over with.

Comment

Where exactly are you looking at lateraling to? California?

Comment

• CaliMan35
            CaliMan35 commented
            Editing a comment
            No, I'm from California which explains my name. I'm looking to stay west of Colorado but get out of the southwest

That's funny. I live in Southern Nevada and I love it lol. I hate the rain and snow, so it is a welcome change. The public schools are crappy but not in Henderson/Boulder City or the Charter schools. I am assuming you are referring to Vegas and not Mesquite, Laughlin or Pahrump....I was a cop in Maryland (I lived there for 29 years) and Arizona, so I know what it's like to start over. It sucks having a kid fresh out of the academy have more seniority than you, but It's worth it if you're happier. My wife and I left Arizona, because it was too small town and the jobs kind of sucked for pay, but that is a good area if you were looking around. Northern AZ has diverse weather and it's generally a safe area. I know your username says Cali, although it is beautiful in some parts, God I couldn't do it there being a cop and the cost of living. Where are you looking at? If you wanted to stay in state I know Washoe County and Sparks are always hiring. You'll get the snow and rain you desire. Also, Utah seems to hire a lot. My sister in law lives in Utah and the kids leave their bikes out (with no lock on them) all day while they go to school and they are still there when they get home. As a guy who grew up around Washington DC and Baltimore, this is baffling to me. Those bikes would be gone in 2 seconds there lol. How long have you been in the area? Sorry to hear you don't like it. I felt the way you do out in Maryland, so I completely get it.

Comment

No, I'm from California which explains my name. I'm looking to stay west of Colorado but get out of the southwest
            Many agencies in Colorado are hiring but if I were to change states it would be Utah or Texas.

I spent 5 years with a SO and lateraled to a brand new town department, had only existed 1 month when they hired me. So far it's been for the better... most of the "bad" has been from growing pains in the new department, not from lateralling.
            "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4836 users online. 183 members and 4653 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X